question on an X88 Crue

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm new and have a question regarding a guitar I just picked up.
I believe it's an X88 Crue model. But it has a strange headstock that I haven't really seen. It's the 6-in-line pointed headstock with the block lettered Guild logo like the one at the top of the page here. I've seen the headstocks like mine that have a logo where Guild is written in script, but not like this. I thought the neck might be from another guitar but the serial number is HF100124. and from what I've seen the "HF" is unique to the X-88. Any help would be appreciated, not looking for value or anything. What I really want to know is if I have a complete X-88, or one with a different neck on it. Thanks.
59870509_1033267790201768_1779395214041939968_n.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is a legitimate Guild headstock, but I too would like to see more pics. That locking nut doesn't look like any I've ever seen on a Guild, but my experience is far from all-encompasing.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Crues have bolt-on necks and the ones I've seen all have spear-point headstocks:

Guild-X88-Crue-TopFull-S-Vert.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm new and have a question regarding a guitar I just picked up.
I believe it's an X88 Crue model. But it has a strange headstock that I haven't really seen. It's the 6-in-line pointed headstock with the block lettered Guild logo like the one at the top of the page here. I've seen the headstocks like mine that have a logo where Guild is written in script, but not like this. I thought the neck might be from another guitar but the serial number is HF100124. and from what I've seen the "HF" is unique to the X-88. Any help would be appreciated, not looking for value or anything. What I really want to know is if I have a complete X-88, or one with a different neck on it.
59870509_1033267790201768_1779395214041939968_n.jpg

Hello tafty,

Welcome! Not clear if the photo you posted shows the headstock of the actual guitar you bought or if it one like that?

Anyway, the X-88 was available with the 'droopy' headstock style, but it would be somewhat unusual with that logo. It is possible that Guild used an older neck after an order came in; that would not be unusual for Guild.

The photo you posted also shows a string clamp that should go with a Washburn Wonderbar vibrato unit, so if that's your guitar I'm curious if it has the 'Wonderbar' installed as well!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

kakerlak

Reaction score
God I hate those things. I still have the one from the X97 sitting on my desk. Makes a nice paperweight. I think it weighs about 60 pounds.

C'mon, Gary, you're not thinking with your eighties brain! Weight=sustain.

Reaction score
That is a legitimate Guild headstock, but I too would like to see more pics. That locking nut doesn't look like any I've ever seen on a Guild, but my experience is far from all-encompasing.

You guys are correct, That's a Washburn Wonderbar. I don't think it's original, since it doesn't fit very good. And yes, it weighs about 10 freakin pounds...

I hope it's ok if I just post a link to the pictures. I'm crap at putting pics on message boards.

https://www.facebook.com/Taftysguitars/posts/1033630630165484

I did email Patrick Windsor at Guild about it. He said he had never seen one like this either. But the seriel number starts with HF, so the neck is from an X88.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Star inlays even! I have to say, I dig that headstock on the X88.

Except for the abomination that is the Wonderbar (and Hans for the win on that one!), that's a good looking guitar!

Did it come with the case? Because if it didn't you'll be hard pressed to find another.

Is that a route for a trem? Neither the Wonderbar nor the (probably) Kahler I had on mine needed a route.

I dug the X88 when I had one (shameless plug: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/06/27/guild-flying-star-x-88-crue/) but it spent most of the time on the wall because it was so freaking huge and so freaking pointy that without a big stage to dance around those long points made contact with everything in a 20-foot radius. Fun guitar, though.

Reaction score
Star inlays even! I have to say, I dig that headstock on the X88.

Except for the abomination that is the Wonderbar (and Hans for the win on that one!), that's a good looking guitar!

Did it come with the case? Because if it didn't you'll be hard pressed to find another.

Is that a route for a trem? Neither the Wonderbar nor the (probably) Kahler I had on mine needed a route.

I dug the X88 when I had one (shameless plug: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/06/27/guild-flying-star-x-88-crue/) but it spent most of the time on the wall because it was so freaking huge and so freaking pointy that without a big stage to dance around those long points made contact with everything in a 20-foot radius. Fun guitar, though.

Yeah the neck and headstock seem to be the real mystery on this one. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if serial numbers jive with production? The # on this one is HF100124. So I guess that would be a low enough number that maybe the necks/headstocks weren't decided on yet? I don't know, I'm guessing.

Unfortunately there's no case. I figured that would be a pretty rare find. So no biggie.

The trem route is kind of a head scratcher too. there's no cavity on the back so, no sustain block. I wasn't sure if they may have routed for the Kahler, but if you say no, then there's my answer. Also, another odd detail, someone signed the neck pocket. Before it was painted. I can't make it out because it's partially painted over. I guess it just adds to the mystery.

Anyway I'm thinking I'll sell off the wonderbar and the current pickups-they are SD's also not original. Fix the trem route and make it a hardtail. Since I cant find any info on what the original bridge may have been, I don't see an issue. I know some of these came with hardtail wrap-around bridges.

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any other ideas, fire away!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, another odd detail, someone signed the neck pocket. Before it was painted. I can't make it out because it's partially painted over. I guess it just adds to the mystery.
Any picture if the signature? We might be able to tell who it was.

By the way, are the pickups really SD pickups and not the original California pickups by any chance?

The 1984 advertising also showd a X-88 with the slightly different headstock:

go3vtbz8ftub4gekvwlm.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In many acoustics, even through the Tacoma era, there were initials in the TRC cavities which were put there before the necks were lacquered. Anyway, cool detail, tafty! Could be someone from the Westerly shop that did it.

Reaction score
Any picture if the signature? We might be able to tell who it was.

By the way, are the pickups really SD pickups and not the original California pickups by any chance?

The 1984 advertising also showd a X-88 with the slightly different headstock:

Ralf

Hey look at that. That's the right headstock but a different logo. We're definitely getting closer! And they do call it a Crue model.
Now that I've removed both pickups, the bridge is a SD Custom Duncan. It says so on the base plate. I assumed the neck was too, but no. The neck is the California pickup. So it's original.
It has really nice Grover tuners on it too. I assume those came with it?
If anyone has an idea what the bridge route might be for I'm all ears. Thanks again everyone.