Upcoming Newark St. Archtop with golden DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
see my post on the doyle dykes thread. What makes the whole deal extra confusing is that the original DeArmond pickups were also called 2000's. "Dynasonic" was and is Gretsch catalog-speak for the (original/real) Dearmond 2000.

matsickma

Reaction score
It would be worth adding a picture of a DeA 2k. The reissued Gretsch Dynasonics were not a good replica of the original DeA model 2000. I found them to be a bit shrill at the upper frequencies. The reissued DeA model 2000 reminder me of the originals but with lower output.

Some of the difference may be by design. If I recall the story correctly...vintage Gretsch guitars used the vintage DeA 2000. Then Gretsch and DeA had a falling out or other kind of issue so Gretsch development their own pickup and named it the Dynasonic. The later vintage Gretsch guitars used the Gretsch Dynasonic.

Then around 20 years ago Gretsch reissued their Dynasonics. This was also around the same time DeA issued the 2k and subsequent 2000.
Confused?
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have loads of detail about DeArmond pickups coming when my X160 Rockabilly Review comes out, which will be soon.