Upcoming Newark St. Archtop with golden DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
New Newark St. A-150 Savoy with golden DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100

Guild hinted on Instagram yesterday a new bright white colored archtop model coming up with the golden DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100. Unfortunatelly I didn't copy the small area picture they showed, and Instagram stories are only visible 24 hours, so today it's gone... There was cream colored binding of the white body visible but I can't even remember if it had a bound fingerboard or not...

UPDATE: It is the upgraded A-150 Savoy Special in "Snow Crest White".

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is this the one?
Indeed it is! I didn't realize it is available already.

So they upgraded the A-150 from nickel to gold hardware, from the DeArmond Rhythm Chief model 1000 to the model 1100, removed the potentiometer on the pickguard to potentiometers behind the pickguard, and added the fancy Grover 109G Super Rotamatics.

a9sxyjwyqj7izyxgigk2.jpg

vwjawmzr4xwjwotu91ae.jpg

va0xseu6ppue7iw3rkae.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is there a demand for bright white jazz boxes? That seems like an odd combination to me.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Considering how many used NS A-150s I see now with the protective paper still under the bridge, the white finish can only make that worse.

”Gosh Martha, why does the guitar sound, I don’t know, muffled somehow?”

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the idea of the hidden tone and volume controls better than the ugly knob on the pickguard, but like GAD said, the white finish doesn't seem right for a jazz-oriented archtop.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is there a demand for bright white jazz boxes? That seems like an odd combination to me.
Yes, it sounds odd. Doesn't seem to be the new high volume model...The Guild webpage still shows the previous version in Blonde and Antique Burst. The previous black one is not shown anymore.
Ralf

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I’m interested in getting an acoustic archtop; but it aint going to be a bright white one. I agree, a product without a market. Odd choice by Guild.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yep, odd that it's in that Liberace finish. I thought the quick flash of a new Guild/DeArmond 2000 pickup ("dynasonic") in that instagram story was more interesting!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gimme a break! I was close wasn't I? (would have sworn they were wearing white tux's as well)

You just happened to pick my favorite scene from one one of my all-time favorite movies that had a Guild I'd previously asked about is all. :encouragement:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I think it looks great! But I tend to like white (and black) guitars in general. White finish with gold hardware: killer. :)

-Dave-

Mark WW

Reaction score
I like the White as well but I always sell them off...same with Black ones.

bobouz

Reaction score
I’ve got an early 2014 Fender-era A-150b (natural finish). I like the one-knob look on the pickguard a little better than the hidden knobs - in part because it seems like a better period match in conjunction with the floating DeArmond.

Reaction score
from the horse's mouth

Yep, odd that it's in that Liberace finish. I thought the quick flash of a new Guild/DeArmond 2000 pickup ("dynasonic") in that instagram story was more interesting!

"Here's the story. The De Armond 2K and 2000 are wholly different animals. The 2K is configured like a P-90. Marketing wanted to create a jazz style pickup for the DeArmond guitars, and wanted to use the 2000 format. Personally, I would have liked to seen us release a RI 2000 to the market on a MIA guitar initially. This would have avoided some of the confusion that now exists between the models.

The De Armond guitar line took priority, and that meant that the 2K was developed first. There were no plans from marketing at the time to further develop the 2000.

As the 2k model began to come together, I and a good friend in R&D went ahead and designed parts for the 2000, and added these to the final set of drawings. Although there were no plans to use the parts that were designed for the 2000, they would be there when the time came.

The opportunity came last year when Gretsch approached Fender about using the 2K on thier guitars. Gretsch assumed that the pickup we were making for De Armond was a 2000 type model, and yes, it looks like one, but we knew that the 2K would not compliment the original Gretsch sound. This gave us the chance to push for the production of the 2000 and deliver it to Gretsch in the original 2000 config. The distiguishing feature for the Gretsch`s is that the 2000 does not sport the De Armond logo.

As we began to produce the 2000, interest grew to include the Guild Custom Shop, The Fender Custom Shop, and Guild guitars. So far, the exposure for the 2000 has been limited, but we are trying to expand it`s role on the guitar.

As I said, the 2K is configured like a P-90. The pole pieces and pole adjust screws are steel. The poles extend through the bobbin where they are trapped between a pair of like pole Alnico 5 bar magnets. The bobbin is surrounded by a thin steel U channel from below the bobbin to enhance the pickups inductance.

DC resistance: 7.4K Inductance: 6 Henries 43 gage magnet wire

The sound is like a P-90, in that it is a very fat single coil, but not quite as heavy as a P-90.

The 2000 uses only 1/4 inch Alnico 5 pole pieces in the bobbin, the sound is bright with that great rockabilly snap.

DC resistance: 8.85K Inductance: 3.55 Henries 44 gage magnet wire

Hope this does it.

Bill Turner"

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's the 2000 from my X-160 Rockabilly and you can see it has the bottom plate and is marked "DeArmond" as per Bill Turner's explanation posted by Steve. Compared to the Dynasonic from my Gretsch it has completely different construction (and they sound different, too).