Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with my 65 Capri

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    5.something
    That's ok for a vintage pup

Maybe. My 65 Capri is 6.8k, iirc.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

The 5ks seem to be late 60s, not mid.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

But why the problem with the tone pot? For sure it is an original. We put in another humbucker in its place and the tone pot acted normal....

In the meantime I have gone to two techs with it and zero results. We have pulled the harness and all sorts of things but no luck. The neck pup sounds raspy and trebly, not very full and I notice the pole screws wobble.....

Hello

If the tone pot capacitor is shorted, then the pot becomes full-range shunt - acting a bit like volume pot, but loading the pup more near 0.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

How does a cap get shorted? And what about the wobbly poles?

The cap itself may be shorted due age - or the wires are touching something they should not. And if for some unexplained reason the value of the cap has increased - usually they go down - it cuts off at lower frequencies - and that means less overall volume, too.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

The poles in the Antihum are not in individual holes in the bobbins, but sit in a channel. They are secured by the base-plate in the pickup. The only think that prevents them from wobbling are the threads in the base-plate, the holes in the cover, and friction in the bobbin channel. If any of those are worn I'd guess that the poles could move. From https://www.gad.net/Blog/2018/03/13/...ckup-teardown/

'70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000 | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

Thanks Gad. What is your thought about my prob? I notice in the middle setting with the tone of the neck at 0, I get a muted jazz tone. What I want. Leaving all alone and switching to neck only volume drops a ton and no sign of that muted jazz tone....maybe the selector switch?