Suzanne Vega, years later. LUKA one of my FAVE songs.....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone who had a rough childhood and marginal parents, can relate to LUKA. I found this more recent version and then a couple of extra songs. I do love her. If she did nothing more than LUKA, then i'd be happy. I think they play well together.... and she's sounding pretty good to me.

See what you think......

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom

Saw her in Pori Jazz few years back - same e-guitar player + drums - was wonderful.

Surely you know Joni Mitchell - Cherokee Louise

https://youtu.be/OmFcpHVNBSQ

p.s. somehow I can no more put direct youtube video here - hope link works.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nuuska, I'm completely familiar with Cherokee Louise!! In fact, I think I've played it a couple of times. Joni Mitchell always was and always will be the QUEEN of guitar and song to me! Thanks for the link. Good to listen to with my coffee...... :encouragement:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've loved Suzanne Vega for many years now, and the fact that she's a native New York City girl sure doesn't hurt. Many moons ago, I was in the studio audience for this performance (part of a whole one hour show), but you couldn't tell in this fuzzy picture from the days before high definition. This video is probably a VHS rip.

Sadly, the old Sony music studios (where this was filmed) on the corner of 54th and 10th in Manhattan, has made way for yet another high rise in the somewhat newly dubbed "Clinton" neighborhood. I guess it's gotten too gentrified to call it "Hell's Kitchen" anymore. Even The Hit Factory, which was around the corner on 54th, is gone.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to grow up in a stable and loving family. I didn't realize the $h1t some of the kids I knew growing up were going through each day until much later. When I first heard "Luka", and saw the video on MTV, I was pretty blown away by the courage she had to write and record that song. The fact that it was a "hit" is even more astounding...

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was lucky enough to grow up in a stable and loving family. I didn't realize the $h1t some of the kids I knew growing up were going through each day until much later. When I first heard "Luka", and saw the video on MTV, I was pretty blown away by the courage she had to write and record that song. The fact that it was a "hit" is even more astounding...

walrus

It helps that it's a really great song. I always thought this one should have been a big hit, too.