Peak Capo

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a YouTube video from the Kickstarter page.

I was starting to wonder how many tuning combinations this thing has. He's computed it for us: The 9-fret version is more than 382 million. The 12-fret is more than 2 billion. And when I start thinking about these guitars in non-standard tunings, my head undergoes rapid unscheduled disassembly.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very cool. I really enjoy when people experiment with the technology.

I think it was Glenn who said he uses partial capos for some of his work. This might be a preferable option, especially for recording or for whole-song capo-ing.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
Looks like you need the whole guitar? not just the capo??

merlin6666

Reaction score
I have enough going on at work do make my head spin. Will stick to relaxing cowboy chords for the leisure time playing the music, one capo is enough for that.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's cool but not for me. I have plenty of work to do in standard tuning...

walrus

MLBob

Reaction score
I figure if I was good enough to figure playing that guitar out, and then actually play it in multiple open-tunings, I certainly wouldn't need one :chuncky:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How is that any faster than just tuning the strings? I don't get it...

Pitt, I don't understand this question. People learn how to play partially capo'd. That's what this is for; not about custom tunings (although that's part of it). This is probably a better mechanism than partial capos because it'll lock in the intonation.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Pitt, I don't understand this question. People learn how to play partially capo'd. That's what this is for; not about custom tunings (although that's part of it). This is probably a better mechanism than partial capos because it'll lock in the intonation.

Isn't the point of partial capos just essentially a different tuning tho?

I use a capo to change the key for singing purposes all of the time. Cap on the second fret on every string but the low E gives you drop D tuning, sort of (just a step higher).

What is the purpose of a partial capo if not for -- effectively -- giving an alternate tuning?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Open tunings are fun and tricky. If you can find enough songs to go along with each other in the same tuning, then it's good. Like tonight in Drop D, I played 3 Shawn Colvin songs, Set the Prairie On Fire, Shotgun Down the Avalance, and Kill The Messenger. Just change the capo..... if you want to be in her recorded tuning. But I currently have 6 guitars, and the reason for that is I want to play songs in MORE than Drop D..... and to do that, I either spend TONS of time tuning and retuning, or.... I have all the guitars in tunings that I like and just switch guitars. Your strings last longer then, too! Not one guitar here is in the same tuning. So depending on how hard it is to set the partial capo guitars settings, it could save you some tuning time.

I can't see myself buying one, but it's a cool technology. :encouragement:

p.s. - trouble with intonation, and open tunings go hand in hand. Especially, when you use a capo! So if it can help that issue..... it may be useful. Again, depending on how difficult it is to put those little individual capos on and adjust them.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just can't get past all the holes drilled into the finger board, that would drive me nuckin' futs!