Reaction score
Just show Walrus THE picture !!!

071c4fcbefa44d1cf2471903ec459629.jpg

"You naughty naughty boy"

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
effing auto-corrupt.... :glee:
And have you noticed how extremely advantageous it is?
Ergonomically speaking?
(And spelling?)

Now you know my issues lmao 😂

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
DIANAFILLOMREDEBUT-040.jpg

Jack Casady commissioned an acoustic bass from Tom Ribbecke. It is called the Diana Bass, in honer of his late wife, although a Google search on Diana Bass gets way more hits for the author Diana Butler Bass. Money was not really a factor and the design goals were acoustic tone, volume, sustain and the ability to play live. The asymmetry is obvious. Less obvious is the fact that the top and bottom are not parallel. Note the soundhole location and the cutaway. I'm going to use this to add to anecdotal evidence that "round" is not better and a cutaway has low or no sonic significance.

Looks like Jorma Kaukonen on the 6 string. Classic Hot Tuna!

JF-30

Reaction score
Not the Hot Tuna guys that's Jorma and Jack. The guy standing with the Vicar?

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
There was a round guitar for sale a couple of years ago. It was intended as a small travel guitar, can't find the ad/link or other info on it now, but they're out there.

Here's an old Epi Tenor round body.

%2524_57.JPG

bobouz

Reaction score
Here's an old Epi Tenor round body.
%2524_57.JPG

Love that Epi Tenor! Would enjoy hearing a six string version.

It reminds me of the old Gibson Army/Navy flat top mandolin design - later copied by Flatiron.

JF-30

Reaction score
Ya think John is baked out of his skull?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ya think John is baked out of his skull?

Without a doubt. From the Wikipedia article about Help!:

[h=3]"Haze of marijuana"[edit][/h]The Beatles later said the film was shot in a "haze of marijuana". According to Starr's interviews in The Beatles Anthology, during the Austrian Alps film shooting, he and McCartney ran off over the hill from the "curling" scene set to smoke a joint.
A hell of a lot of pot was being smoked while we were making the film. It was great. That helped make it a lot of fun ... In one of the scenes, Victor Spinetti and Roy Kinnear are playing curling: sliding along those big stones. One of the stones has a bomb in it and we find out that it's going to blow up, and have to run away. Well, Paul and I ran about seven miles, we ran and ran, just so we could stop and have a joint before we came back. We could have run all the way to Switzerland. If you look at pictures of us you can see a lot of red-eyed shots; they were red from the dope we were smoking. And these were those clean-cut boys! Dick Lester knew that very little would get done after lunch. In the afternoon we very seldom got past the first line of the script. We had such hysterics that no one could do anything. Dick Lester would say, "No, boys, could we do it again?" It was just that we had a lot of fun – a lot of fun in those days.
— Ringo Starr
In the Beatles Anthology Director's Cut, Harrison admitted that they were smoking marijuana on the plane ride all the way to the Bahamas.
McCartney also shared some of his memories of when they were filming Help!:
We showed up a bit stoned, smiled a lot and hoped we'd get through it. We giggled a lot. I remember one time at Cliveden (Lord Astor's place, where the Christine Keeler/Profumo scandal went on); we were filming the Buckingham Palace scene where we were all supposed to have our hands up. It was after lunch, which was fatal because someone might have brought out a glass of wine as well. We were all a bit merry and all had our backs to the camera and the giggles set in. All we had to do was turn around and look amazed, or something. But every time we'd turn round to the camera there were tears streaming down our faces. It's OK to get the giggles anywhere else but in films, because the technicians get pissed off with you. They think, "They're not very professional." Then you start thinking, "This isn't very professional – but we're having a great laugh."
— Paul McCartney

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I remember one time at Cliveden (Lord Astor's place, where the Christine Keeler/Profumo scandal went on); we were filming the Buckingham Palace scene where we were all supposed to have our hands up

It was after lunch, which was fatal because someone might have brought out a glass of wine as well. We were all a bit merry and all had our backs to the camera and the giggles set in. All we had to do was turn around and look amazed, or something.

hqdefault.jpg

Let's not forget part of the palace sequence included the snaking of the tube that contained the "knock-out gas" back out the window:

WW6M.gif

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oh yes, they were stoned through the whole movie! Great posts, Al!

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
Love The Beatles but their drug years were the best. I listen to The White Album at lest 3 times a month.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love The Beatles but their drug years were the best. I listen to The White Album at lest 3 times a month.

If you don't have it already, the new "expanded" remastered edition is awesome. Not only is the sound quality greatly enhanced, but three extra CD's of outtakes!

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't have it already, the new "expanded" remastered edition is awesome. Not only is the sound quality greatly enhanced, but three extra CD's of outtakes!

walrus

Yeah, I bought the vinyl version and gave it as a gift to my 23 year old son who is more of a fan than I am! I think it was you, walrus, or someone else here who turned me on to that.