Perfectly round acoustic guitar...

JF-30

Reaction score
Watched a doc on NF about John and Yoko making Imagine. Mostly John. Yoko just makes noises in a bag. Alan White didn't mind the bag. Those guys at Live Peace must have been thrown for a loop when Yoko was doing her thing. I have a copy from a John Lennon solo box set I have on LP. Maybe one listen. Never need to relive hiding in a corner for the entirety of side 2.

bobouz

Reaction score
I have a copy of that Moby Grape album on Edsel Records.
Don Stevenson flipping off the camera was a big deal at the time. My original copy of the album had his finger cut off.

The CD I now have is from San Francisco Sound, and shows the unedited photo. I remember buying their second effort & thinking, "what's happened here?" Too bad they couldn't sustain what they had - but from what I've read, they were a pretty self-destructive bunch.

JF-30

Reaction score
I think I have another album by them called 20 Granite Creek too. It was not so good.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think I have another album by them called 20 Granite Creek too. It was not so good.

Yeah, founder Skip Spence long gone by then.
Lotta folks forget he was actually the Airplane's original drummer, (!).
Marty liked his looks even though he was a guitarist.
:glee:
Now you know why he left.
(to found Moby Grape)
[edit] the link Walrus posted has the history a little different than I remembered but is correct after having my memory jogged.
Another one of those tragically self-destructive geniuses; but the other 4 carried on valiantly and actually for 30 years in a couple of local Santa Cruz Mountain venues.

Watched a doc on NF about John and Yoko making Imagine. Mostly John. Yoko just makes noises in a bag. Alan White didn't mind the bag.
Those guys at Live Peace must have been thrown for a loop when Yoko was doing her thing.
I have a copy from a John Lennon solo box set I have on LP. Maybe one listen. Never need to relive hiding in a corner for the entirety of side 2.

I know, I know.
(For me) all was forgiven when the Working Class Hero album came out.
But even I started wondering what the hell happened to John when Walls and Bridges came out.
I can only offer that in the end, Yoko wrote "Walking On Thin Ice" which finally gave me back the John I loved, as well as "Kiss Kiss Kiss".
I get why he loved her.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1. Some awesome guitar playing by John on "Walking on Thin Ice".

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
+1. Some awesome guitar playing by John on "Walking on Thin Ice".

walrus

I should also mention that for all of John's "soft pop" stuff I disliked, there was a period when I thought "In My Life" might have been the single best thing he ever wrote.
Still in his top 5 for me, along with "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Working Class Hero".
Paul?
"Live and Let Die" 's right up there in the top 3 I respect him for, and a Bond theme to boot!
George?
Before "Something" there were "Taxman" and "If I Needed Someone".
Ringo?
"Boys"
and "I Wanna Be Your Man"
See what I mean about the early stuff? (he said to nobody in particular).
There was just a whole lot more happiness than anything else on any given album.
Heck even "Taxman" made ya wanna pound your fist on the table and shout "Yeah, tell it, bro!"
:smile:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I think this is an amazing demo, "by George". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-sEKWk7e54

Ralph

Agreed! That's from a great bootleg called "Beware of ABKCO". Acoustic demos of some unreleased songs, some songs from "All Things Must Pass". And electric demos of "Wah Wah", and "Here Me Lord".

If you are a George Harrison fan, this is a must if you can find it. Perhaps the best bootleg ever. He supposedly did not know he was being taped.

Here's the details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5t1_3Xp4IM

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
John was a talented guitarist and great songwriter, but some of Lennon's post Beatle stuff was really good, but was absolute proof he really need a partner and someone to push him like Paul, not just Yoko who probably loved every ridiculous idea he came up with and let her have artistic freedom to make strangled cat noises that would be recorded and be on record forever. I don't hate Yoko and she did not break up The Beatles. The Beatles broke up The Beatles. What I hate is Yoko making anything she considers music. Cause its not.

F312

Reaction score
Agreed! That's from a great bootleg called "Beware of ABKCO". Acoustic demos of some unreleased songs, some songs from "All Things Must Pass". And electric demos of "Wah Wah", and "Here Me Lord".

If you are a George Harrison fan, this is a must if you can find it. Perhaps the best bootleg ever. He supposedly did not know he was being taped.

Here's the details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5t1_3Xp4IM

walrus

Err???

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
Didn't know about all of these, "THANK YOU GUYS".

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My Favorite Beetle was that guy who sang that song about "Bodyguard" in the 80's with Chevy Chase in the video!

TX

Grassdog

Reaction score
John was a talented guitarist and great songwriter, but some of Lennon's post Beatle stuff was really good, but was absolute proof he really need a partner and someone to push him like Paul, not just Yoko who probably loved every ridiculous idea he came up with and let her have artistic freedom to make strangled cat noises that would be recorded and be on record forever. I don't hate Yoko and she did not break up The Beatles. The Beatles broke up The Beatles. What I hate is Yoko making anything she considers music. Cause its not.

I think the way Yoko treated Julian after John's death tells you all you need to know about her as a person. Sorry if that sounds mean. Despite his great artistic abilities, I think John was an extremely vulnerable person his entire life and she took advantage of that in a lot of bizarre ways. There's no question he loved her, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

JF-30

Reaction score
Just because you can make great music or art does not mean you are a nice person. JL was no saint. Lets be real. And Yoko, don't care about her art or the so called music she made. Maybe she should go back in the bag for a while.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just because you can make great music or art does not mean you are a nice person. JL was no saint. Lets be real. And Yoko, don't care about her art or the so called music she made. Maybe she should go back in the bag for a while.

Yeah! take me for example .

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My own theory, as a real Beatlesaholic - is that John would have died by 27 like many of his peers if he had not met Yoko. He was "eating LSD" for breakfast" at the time, extremely unhappy ("Help!", "I'm a Loser", etc.). Just a theory, but he found in her both a fellow artist, a lover, and his missing mother-figure.

I don't care for her music - except stuff like "Walking on Thin Ice" - but he loved her, that's all that matters. I hope no one would ever treat my wife the way she was treated.

And you can't argue with their overall and constant voice for peace.

walrus