Perfectly round acoustic guitar...

bobouz

Reaction score
Al, now you're talkin' some good stuff - Roger the Engineer ranks right up there as one of my favorite albums ever. The Yardbirds were probably my favorite group at the time, and the Beck period was my favorite period within the group's transformations.

Yup, that's a lot of favorites!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, now you're talkin' some good stuff - Roger the Engineer ranks right up there as one of my favorite albums ever. The Yardbirds were probably my favorite group at the time, and the Beck period was my favorite period within the group's transformations.

Yup, that's a lot of favorites!

That and Revolver would have been all over Radio One when Hendrix was recording Are You Experienced, too.
Besides the Roger Mayer connection.
(He did fuzz pedals for Beck and Page before he ever met Jimi)
Although I suspect by then Hendrix didn't have to listen to the radio, he was probably welcome at any band's sessions he cared to knock on the door of.
Even though Jimi covered Beatles tunes I think he had a lot more in common with the Yardbirds.

Hmmm...seems we have a shared appreciation for F40's, and Jeff Beck.
You're obviously a man of incredibly good taste.
:biggrin-new:
For your viewing pleasure:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Another cool thing - "Abbey Road" - what a great final album! There's aren't many (any?) bands who knew they were done and put out such a great final album.
R-1344975-1448801400-3845.jpeg.jpg

And the gatefold drawing removed any doubt:
5354847lp3.jpg

"Badge"-"What A Bringdown"-"I'm So Glad" live

:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good one! But, note that "Goodbye" was only their 4th album after being together only 2 1/6 years. Not very Beatley.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good one! But, note that "Goodbye" was only their 4th album after being together only 2 1/6 years. Not very Beatley.

walrus

But it had George on it!:
Badge

:glee:

(PS in the same 1966-1969 period the Beatles only released new material in the form of Revolver, Pepper's, Mystery Tour, and the White Album. Toss in partial new material with Yellow Submarine and balance it with the compilation "Best of Cream" and you still have a draw.)
Wheels of Fire was the world's first platinum selling double album though.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I thought Abbey Road was released in 1969 too?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought Abbey Road was released in 1969 too?

From Wikipedia: Abbey Road is the eleventh studio album by English rock band the Beatles, released on 26 September 1969 by Apple Records. The recording sessions for the album were the last in which all four Beatles participated.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
(PS in the same 1966-1969 period the Beatles only released new material in the form of Revolver, Pepper's, Mystery Tour, and the White Album. Toss in partial new material with Yellow Submarine and balance it with the compilation "Best of Cream" and you still have a draw.)
Wheels of Fire was the world's first platinum selling double album though.

No offense to Cream - but I like how you said "the Beatles only released" and then listed at least two of the greatest albums in the history of rock music! Plus Abbey Road!

:chuncky:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
From Wikipedia: Abbey Road is the eleventh studio album by English rock band the Beatles, released on 26 September 1969 by Apple Records. The recording sessions for the album were the last in which all four Beatles participated.
OK call it "waffling" if you will but what I meant by the "same '66-69" period is that Goodbye was released in February of '69, Abbey Road hadn't been released yet.
And Fresh Cream was actually released in December '66, about 4 months after Revolver so technically Revolver shouldn't be in there either.
We still have a draw and Cream toured a whole lot more than the Beatles during that period, besides, so they actually had a handicap.
No offense to Cream - but I like how you said "the Beatles only released" and then listed at least two of the greatest albums in the history of rock music! Plus Abbey Road!

:chuncky:

walrus

Hey nothing was said about quality, only quantity.
And the definition of "greatest" is after all entirely subjective but I feel your elbow in my ribs.
Given a mandatory choice I would happily take Wheels of Fire and Disraeli Gears to a desert island over Pepper's and Mystery Tour.
Largely on the strength of infinitely preferring Ginger Baker's compositional style to Paul's.
And what, no response to Gorge being on Goodbye?
I mean after all, it was only payback for him drafting Clapton to save "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".
(OOOOHHH!!!! He digs and ducks!)
:tongue-new:

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
Just 2? Rubber, Revolver, Pepper, The WA, Abbey Road. Let It Be was no snoozfest either. Than all the early stuff was better than what most where doing at the time

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just 2? Rubber, Revolver, Pepper, The WA, Abbey Road. Let It Be was not snoozfest either. Than all the early stuff was better than what most where doing at the time
(Edit)Those are only the 2 Cream albums I would take over Beatles albums.
Revolver was outside the window but I would take it over Fresh Cream, it is unquestionably my absolute favorite Beatles album.
Remember I much prefer the pre- Pepper's stuff, (did you see post #58?) even though I grant there were gems scattered through the later period, primarily John and George's according to my tastes, and to me Cream was carrying on in that school.
Gimme "Revolution" over "Hey Jude" always and forever.
I still got the 45, and "Hey Jude" looks virtually un-played because it is.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I don't ever want to hear Hey Jude again. The White Album would say is my favorite album of all time. And Apostrophe and Close To The Edge

bobouz

Reaction score
Actually, when it comes to early British Invasion efforts, I much preferred the blues oriented stuff being done by the Rolling Stones (first three albums), the Yardbirds, the Animals, & the Kinks to what the Beatles were doing. By comparison, the Beatles early blues efforts sounded rather sophomoric, imho. Then we get the Beano album, and for good measure, throw in the stateside Butterfield Blues Band to sharpen the contrast with the Beatles, who were on a decidedly different track (obviously, nothing wrong with that).

As for a desert island favorite from the '60s, possibly one of the period's finest one-album wonders: Moby Grape's debut "finger" release.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And what, no response to Gorge being on Goodbye?
I mean after all, it was only payback for him drafting Clapton to save "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".
(OOOOHHH!!!! He digs and ducks!)
:tongue-new:

"Badge" is a great song - the arpeggiated riff in the chorus is pure George (for that riff's twin, listen to "It Don't Come Easy" which George basically wrote for Ringo).

And I can't disagree that Clapton's guitar work made "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" the great track thhat it is... :encouragement:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't ever want to hear Hey Jude again. The White Album would say is my favorite album of all time. And Apostrophe and Close To The Edge

We are obviously men of different tastes even while appreciating the same artist:
I'll take Waka Jawaka over Apostrophe always and forever.

What is it about the White Album?
It is so obviously a compilation by 4 solo artists.
The happiness of the teamwork so evident in earlier days is almost gone.
Paul's stuff is so treacly as to make me skip the cuts, John's is so drenched in heroin distemper as to make me cringe, even though his and Georg's cuts are my favorites fro the most part.
Even Martin had enough of 'em and walked out on vacation, engineer Geoff Emerick quit outright and both Ringo and George quit even though they were both coaxed back.
I don't say it's "bad", it's just that the percentage of stuff I like is so much lower than the earlier periods.
And I think Lennon and McCartney actually needed to buffer each other, each on their own is too much of one thing.
Paul is non-alcoholic beer (UGH) and John is pure 180 proof distilled spirits (which I'll at least drink).
Anyway I think it's just that all the bad vibes are subliminally if not manifestly evident and bring down the rating of the album for me.
Like I said I just prefer the happier earlier stuff.
NO snark intended, seriously, but let's not forget a guy like Charles Manson took that piece of art and identified with it.
HE was picking up on the dark side of psychedelia peeking out from behind the doors of John's id and Paul's ego, if I may wax so cornball.
It was obvious by Abbey Road things had been patched up quite a bit.
For my tastes I'll take "As You Said" and "Deserted Cities of the Heart"from Wheels over "Your Mother Should Know" and "the Fool on the Hill" always and forever.
And regret giving up "Baby You're a Rich Man" and "Lady Madonna".
"Badge" is a great song - the arpeggiated riff in the chorus is pure George (for that riff's twin, listen to "It Don't Come Easy" which George basically wrote for Ringo).
Right, in fact it was hearing its relative in "Here Comes the Sun" that first made me go look at the credits on Goodbye and realize that "L'Angelo Mysterioso" had to be a nom-de-plume for George.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
One of the things that the demos, etc. from the new remastered White Album showed is that they were actually getting along pretty well contrary to the "usual" story. At least in the demos that are included - and there a lot of them. Lots of banter, etc. Not the case by Let It Be, which is not long after - there they are definitely unhappy with each other.

BTW, Paul's White Album songs also included "Back in the USSR", and possibly the Beatles' heaviest song, "Helter Skelter". And John and Paul wrote the most "treacly" song on the album together - "Goodnight". BTW, "Goodnight" has some great examples of them working on harmonies together in the remastered demos.

I just don't know if I buy the common "generalizations" of John vs. Paul "style-wise", or that they hated each other during the White Album. And even after "Let It Be" they got back together for "Abbey Road", which they knew was their last album, and they were supposedly "on their best behavior" according to George Martin.

And let's not forget the presence of Yoko, who suddenly was at John's side 24/7. When she was sick, John had a bed brought in the studio! The studio had always been off limits for wives, girlfriends, etc. and suddenly she's even singing on some songs! There can be no question that had an impact on the other Beatles.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One of the things that the demos, etc. from the new remastered White Album showed is that they were actually getting along pretty well contrary to the "usual" story. At least in the demos that are included - and there a lot of them. Lots of banter, etc. Not the case by Let It Be, which is not long after - there they are definitely unhappy with each other.

BTW, Paul's White Album songs also included "Back in the USSR", and possibly the Beatles' heaviest song, "Helter Skelter". And John and Paul wrote the most "treacly" song on the album together - "Goodnight". BTW, "Goodnight" has some great examples of them working on harmonies together in the remastered demos.

I just don't know if I buy the common "generalizations" of John vs. Paul "style-wise", or that they hated each other during the White Album. And even after "Let It Be" they got back together for "Abbey Road", which they knew was their last album, and they were supposedly "on their best behavior" according to George Martin.

And let's not forget the presence of Yoko, who suddenly was at John's side 24/7. When she was sick, John had a bed brought in the studio! The studio had always been off limits for wives, girlfriends, etc. and suddenly she's even singing on some songs! There can be no question that had an impact on the other Beatles.

walrus

It's funny 'cause Wikipedia has it the other 'way round (White Album as studio battleground), and some of the commentary over on Beatles Bible has 'em getting along fine in session bootlegs for Let it Be.
Never did finish reading "Anthology"; that might help.
And you're right about John v Paul style-wise, the leads on "Taxman" are some of my Beatles faves as well as "Carry That Weight" mentioned earlier.
And I'll be the first to admit that I'm a heretical non-fan of "Imagine".
If that'd been the A side for "Revolution" it'd be just as unplayed.
Gimme "Gimme Some Truth".
And "Too Many People".
Gotta run for the weekend, brothahs!

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I have a copy of that Moby Grape album on Edsel Records.