Guild Newart St. Starfire IV. Rewond BrandonWound neck and bridge

Reaction score
Bought a Starfire IV a few weeks ago. Had Jared from Brandonwound rewind the pickups to vintage spec 7.97 K bridge and 7.33 K for the neck pickup up. I put D'Addario Chrome flat wounds on it. I am using a Roland Blues Cube Stage amp. OMG what incredible tone!! Has anyone else tried this combination?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bought a Starfire IV a few weeks ago. Had Jared from Brandonwound rewind the pickups to vintage spec 7.97 K bridge and 7.33 K for the neck pickup up. I put D'Addario Chrome flat wounds on it. I am using a Roland Blues Cube Stage amp. OMG what incredible tone!! Has anyone else tried this combination?

Hi Guy, I see a first post, Welcome Aboard!
In case you weren't aware of it, moderators vet new members' first few posts, screening for spambots,so they don't come up in "real time".
After the "probationary period" of 4 or 5 posts they'll start showing up in real time.
What year Starfire?
Wondering because you mention getting the p/u's re-wound to "vintage spec".

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Guy, I see a first post, Welcome Aboard!
In case you weren't aware of it, moderators vet new members' first few posts, screening for spambots,so they don't come up in "real time".
After the "probationary period" of 4 or 5 posts they'll start showing up in real time.
What year Starfire?
Wondering because you mention getting the p/u's re-wound to "vintage spec".

Newark St.

Reaction score
Well to be honest I am not sure what year it is as I bought it second hand. If the serial number has anything to do with it, (it is KSG1603.....), a "16" in the start of the serial number, ......could that mean a 2016? Definitely a Newark St Korean made guitar.

The "vintage spec" BrandonWound did, I believe refers to late 60's Guilds. What I have been able to research is Guild used higher output pickups around that time. That's about the limit of my knowledge. My ears however are hearing a far more dynamic range of sounds. Beautiful lows and rich mids.

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do regarding a video/sound file but it's taking time to have my posts show up and it might take me a while to do something up.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'll see what I can do regarding a video/sound file but it's taking time to have my posts show up and it might take me a while to do something up.

You're about due for 'em to start showing up in real time, but understand about wanting to "do it up right".
:friendly_wink:

And I believe you were correct about the year by s/n.
Did GAD know what it was because you 2 were already acquainted?
No answer necessary, was just leading up to an observation that yes your research was good about vintage pickup specs, and GAD is one of our foremost archivists of that kind of info on his own blog:
http://www.gad.net/Blog/gads-guilds/

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You're about due for 'em to start showing up in real time, but understand about wanting to "do it up right".
:friendly_wink:

And I believe you were correct about the year by s/n.
Did GAD know what it was because you 2 were already acquainted?
No answer necessary, was just leading up to an observation that yes your research was good about vintage pickup specs, and GAD is one of our foremost archivists of that kind of info on his own blog:
http://www.gad.net/Blog/gads-guilds/

It’s in the title of the thread. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It’s in the title of the thread. :)
Yep I gotta admit my tunnel vison's getting increasingly worse and initially I did walk right past it, but he doesn't actually say what year.
And I was looking for a "polite" way to verify my guess without appearing to be coming down on it if it was a Newark Street.
So, uh, had any good Nyquil lately?
:glee:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep I gotta admit my tunnel vison's getting increasingly worse and initially I did walk right past it, but he doesn't actually say what year.
And I was looking for a "polite" way to verify my guess without appearing to be coming down on it if it was a Newark Street.
So, uh, had any good Nyquil lately?
:glee:

I'm currently sitting in a Starbucks waiting for a train (have I mentioned how much I love trains?) and am currently on about my ninth espresso of the day. It's not enough. Two or three more and I'll be able to see the future!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm currently sitting in a Starbucks waiting for a train (have I mentioned how much I love trains?) and am currently on about my ninth espresso of the day. It's not enough. Two or three more and I'll be able to see the future!

Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

theonemanband

Reaction score

You’ll probably have more luck waiting on the station platform, trains tend to have a habit of not running through Starbucks; at least not here in the UK! 😉😉

(sorry, silly I know but couldn’t resist).

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You’ll probably have more luck waiting on the station platform, trains tend to have a habit of not running through Starbucks; at least not here in the UK! 

(sorry, silly I know but couldn’t resist).

Very silly! :encouragement:

I was in a Starbucks because some idiot got on a train with a 1-hour layover in Summit, NJ. Thankfully there's a Starbucks where I can sit and indulge in legal addictive stimulants while pretending to work.