Echo in the Canyon - Revisiting Laurel Canon Friday, 04/26 at Noon

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Friday, 04/26 WXPN features Echo in the Canyon for their Free at Noon concert. Jakob Dylan, Cat Power, Jade revisit the music of the '60's in Laurel Canyon.

Streaming at xpn.org.

Trailer for the film is here:

Last edited:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No Guild content, but a boost for my friend Mark Mirando and his band (with Grammy winner Mark Hudson and Nashville Songwriter Hall of Fame member Gary Burr):

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amazing.

They don't write songs like that anymore...

It's because the other "they's" don't want to listen that anymore.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM DFGHJ BOOM BOOM BOOM !"#€%& BOOM BOOM BOOM . . .

that's what they want :apologetic:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amazing.

Well, that brought tears to my eyes. Wow!

One band I was in was over in Topanga Canyon. Before that it was at Cloris's place in Mandeville Canyon.

Antney

Reaction score
Amazing.

It's because the other "they's" don't want to listen that anymore.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM DFGHJ BOOM BOOM BOOM !"#€%& BOOM BOOM BOOM . . .

that's what they want :apologetic:

Not true on either account. That kind of stereotypical generalization makes you sound like an old foggie stuck in the past. There’s a lot of good new music being made and many, many younger ears that listen to all genres and eras of music. We’re fortunate to have such a rich and diverse musical history to use as a foundation to build new sounds upon. Why sound like what has already been done? Cover and tribute musicians do that. This documentary looks awesome. I just hope I can stay awake to watch the entire thing, and I hope I won’t have to make too many trips to the bathroom either. I’ll be sure to stop at the Dollar Store to get some Werner’s candies for the show.😬

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not true on either account. That kind of stereotypical generalization makes you sound like an old foggie stuck in the past. There’s a lot of good new music being made and many, many younger ears that listen to all genres and eras of music. We’re fortunate to have such a rich and diverse musical history to use as a foundation to build new sounds upon. Why sound like what has already been done? Cover and tribute musicians do that. This documentary looks awesome. I just hope I can stay awake to watch the entire thing, and I hope I won’t have to make too many trips to the bathroom either. I’ll be sure to stop at the Dollar Store to get some Werner’s candies for the show.

Hello

Thanks for putting THAT straight. Just so ya all know - I'm not THAT petrified in my own bubble as I might appear. Couple years ago I was doing sound at record publishing party for a techno/rap/you name it - group. I was perhaps only person in that place without straight / flat visor cap. It went well. They had two other performers in their genre as support acts. Afterwards I asked one band member why they had selected me to do this gig while there are about a dozen of sound companies in our city with younger guys who actually listen to that stuff. He replied : "Because we trust you!" - I could have been his father - actually he's father was younger than I am.

So there we go - we have all kinds of music makers around with spectrum from stone age or beyond to unimaginable future. Most of them never get the attention they deserve. In my days of FOH-engineers I've seen and heard countless interesting groups that never made it even on county level - not to talk national level. But what they did was refreshing and sincere. And just as sure there must be countless people who appreciate that kind performances.

So perhaps I will point out that my previous writing was more about big selling stuff.

I was quite amazed back twenty years ago when Joni Mitchell was interviewed in radio and she told that her albums sold only about 200-300000 copies . . . I have all of them! Thank you Joni :watermelon:

So final conclusion is that there is still wonderful music for each taste, but the way record business works - we have to work harder to find it. Luckily we have internet.

Confusing - I'll hit the hay - goodnight.

Antney

Reaction score
. I was perhaps only person in that place without straight / flat visor cap.

That’s funny....

Our generation is that last one who’s gym shorts are actually short

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That’s funny....

Our generation is that last one who’s gym shorts are actually short

that is a good one. well, i was born in '67, shorts were pretty short when i was a kid, and my socks were up to knees. still...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just watch a clip of a '60's or 70's NBA game! Or Connors, Borg. and McEnroe on the courts!

That was me, too - I'm not sure how I was able to move around in those shorts...

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is good music produced in prodigious quantities today - far more in quantity and variety and far more accessible than in my youth. The demise of the old record industry model has opened up a bazillion channels and all you have to do is listen. I make sure to listen to World Cafe and All Songs Considered every week - I never know what will surprise and delight. There is junk, sure, but there is also a lot of really great stuff. And if you want to really get lost, start wandering around the enormous universe of Bandcamp.

Any every once in a while I get to freak out the tattooed and pierced 20-somethings in the coffee shop in my building when this overweight, gray-haired old dude in a suit lays a "hey, you ought to listen to ..." recommendation on them. Did that last year when I said, "hey, listen to The Courtneys". Got props for weeks.

Last edited:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Buffalo Springfield were playing some seriously good psychedelic rock in that Mannix clip! The TV people get credit for getting a real (and great) band instead of using studio schlock. Thanks for posting that.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Buffalo Springfield were playing some seriously good psychedelic rock in that Mannix clip! The TV people get credit for getting a real (and great) band instead of using studio schlock. Thanks for posting that.

You're welcome.

More info here. That was a live performance recording they were miming and lip-syncing to.

I have the Neil Young-remaster of Buffalo Springfield catalog, What's That Sound? arriving tomorrow. There will be a lonnnngggg backyard listening session this weekend with cigars and adult distilled beverages.

Last edited: