Youtube

Grassdog

Reaction score
Of all the things the internet has brought us, I probably spend more time on YouTube than all other sites/applications combined. I am a serious junkie and I would have no problem living without 200+ channels on cable or satellite as long as I have a high speed connection and YouTube. So my question is has anyone out there tried YouTube Premium and if so do you think it's worth the cost?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I have YouTube Red, which charges a monthly fee, but it's not a premium version. It actually gives you less…less advertising. :) As in none (aside from YTers peddling product within videos, which of course happens).

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have YouTube Red, which charges a monthly fee, but it's not a premium version. It actually gives you less…less advertising. :) As in none (aside from YTers peddling product within videos, which of course happens).

-Dave-

What about storage for your uploads, as in how much space and for how long?

Grassdog

Reaction score

Yeah that’s one of the things I was interested in, like if you can download the audio. On a lot of these it’s the audio I’m most interested in (e.g. studio outtake, demos, live or alternate versions of songs not available anywhere else) and being able to save them and create playlists would be cool - especially if they can be listened in the background while using other applications.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s one of the things I was interested in, like if you can download the audio.
Quite frankly I'm pretty ignorant in the mechanics of this stuff, I'd imagine with YouTube you'd need to download the whole file and then copy the audio if not the whole file to someplace under your control.
I did actually mean "upload" space, though, as in, if I wanted to create my own Youtube channel and store videos there.
My GF can do it on her "free" access but only gets room for 2 videos at a time and those go away after 6 months in any case.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah that’s one of the things I was interested in, like if you can download the audio. On a lot of these it’s the audio I’m most interested in (e.g. studio outtake, demos, live or alternate versions of songs not available anywhere else) and being able to save them and create playlists would be cool - especially if they can be listened in the background while using other applications.

hello

I am old-fashioned in many ways - this is one of them :

If you have two computers - about any old cheap computer will do for second one - go to YouTube and play your tune - record the sound output via USB box or whatever to second computer, that has a free audio editor. After that you can transfer the audio files to your main computer and play them in background. No monthly fees - just an old laptop and cheap USB soundcard - or two.

Grassdog

Reaction score
There are tools that allow you to download and save YouTube videos. Some of those tools offer an option to download the audio track only. There are also tools to extract the audio from a file you already have downloaded

If you only do it once in a while https://www.amoyshare.com/free-video-downloader/ is pretty reasonable.

This sounds exactly like what I was looking for - I'll give it a try. Thanks

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score

I don't upload or download so I can't say how that works within the Red app. I treat YT basically the same as Netflix. But having Red doesn't prevent me from using the YT website and doing everything you can do there.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't upload or download so I can't say how that works within the Red app. I treat YT basically the same as Netflix. But having Red doesn't prevent me from using the YT website and doing everything you can do there.

-Dave-

Thanks, and in the meantime Frono's suggestion also helped.