Lowered action, change in tone?

nielDa

Reaction score
Looking: You adjusted the truss rod/neck bow first, correct? (Only asking because it wasn't mentioned.) Just want to add, in addition to the great advice above, that if you never swapped out bridge pins for a different material (bone, ebony, etc.) it's easy to do and makes a surprising difference.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looking: You adjusted the truss rod/neck bow first, correct? (Only asking because it wasn't mentioned.) Just want to add, in addition to the great advice above, that if you never swapped out bridge pins for a different material (bone, ebony, etc.) it's easy to do and makes a surprising difference.
I trust the guys who say bridge pins only make a difference because they change the mass (weight) of the bridge itself.
Their effect on energy transfer or tone of string is virtually nil.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
We each have our own preferences when it comes to string height. Personally, I detest a super low action on an acoustic guitar. My personal preference is the Low E at about 1/8" at the 12 th fret. I think it gives you more volume, better tone and it just feels right to me. But then again, what the hell do I know. I have player friends (who are much better than me) who want their action to be like an electric guitar. I never understood that but it seems to work for them so that's o.k. I guess.

Butch

Reaction score
No question that lowering the action will cause you to loose that “boom”. Interesting side note, I have a 1970 D28 that I have never liked. It just simply was a dog. I always used medium strings on it. I have been using medium Elixir strings on all of my guitars for a number of years now, but I switched over to lights. OMG that guitar just came alive. It was amazing.