I might just need one of these

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is a really sweet setup! One electric guitar for the recording studio to do whatever you want it to whenever you want it to, Talk about being able to downsize and reduce some clutter. Thanks for the Video Gary, I really enjoyed it.

TX

dougdnh

Reaction score
wow - the first really innovative guitar since Leo Fender. It's amazing it took this long. Not a fan of it's look, but I suspect this is the beginning of a whole new direction in electric guitars. I see they start at $3000!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pretty darn cool concept! Forget JUST changing pickups. I bet the front is magneted on too, so you could change front and rear covers perhaps.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In the 50s or early 60s, Danelectro had a guitar in which the pickup slid out for replacement. I don't know how many P/U they offered. They were never as popular as their lipstick P/U models.

Zelja

Reaction score
wow - the first really innovative guitar since Leo Fender.
You might want to check out Teuffel Guitars - eye watering prices though. http://teuffel.com/

I wish I knew about this when I was in Switzerland 18 months ago! looks really interesting & very clever design features. I do wonder if the magnets holding in the pickups have any affect. Shame you couldn't put HB-1s in there but there are plenty of other great HB sized pickups you could.

I quite like the look too, a bit different from your standard iconic designs.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Teuffel is first guitar builder - that I have seen - who tells the different fingerboard radius in both ends. And thinking that string spacing is not even, but spreads out towards bridge, the strings are on cone surface rather than cylindrical surface.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Teuffel is first guitar builder - that I have seen - who tells the different fingerboard radius in both ends. And thinking that string spacing is not even, but spreads out towards bridge, the strings are on cone surface rather than cylindrical surface.

Jackson has been doing this for years. They call it a compound radius. Charvel (basically the same company for a while) advertised it as Conical Fingerboard:

2.jpg

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you for the info - NOW I have seen it advertised elsewhere, too.

Again - thanks to LTG one can learn.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Warmoth has been doing interesting things with radius and compound radius for a long time.

So has Fender. My Jazz Bass Select had one (9.5 -14). I never should have sold that bass, but now I have a MIJ Jazz Bass, that's just as good for much less money, and it's candy apple red!

57154391_10219148851938082_887386521626214400_n.jpg

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I did a compound radius on a 1960 Strat because the guy putting in the frets was unwilling "to mess with it"... It had no frets to speak of when I got it, and even though everybody said don't do it, I had a guy with a small shop replace the frets, but I wanted it to play like my SG, as in doing huge bends without fretting out, so I wanted the frets flatter, and he let me do it with his files.

Never even heard of a compound radius, years before we even had pagers...

I later sold the guitar to the most eminent collector in the area, and out of the blue he says "Who did the frets on that? It's like magic..."

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

When Guild says that the new F-55 has fingerboard radius of 12" - does it really mean, that the fretboard is cylindrical instead of conical? Or is it just the "nominal radius ? Not that it really makes any difference for me after all these years . . .

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can’t apeak for the acoustics, but I see no signa of compound radii on any of the NS guitars I’ve examined.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also I think compound radius is more of a selling point on guitars where high-fret soloing is common.