New Member & 68/69? D-55

nacluth

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. New member here though I’ve lurked on occasion through the years. Recently though I came into having a pretty cool instrument in my shop. I thought I would share pics of it, and see if anyone has any extra information about it that might be fun to know.

This D-55 (#01-109) was pulled out of a closet after the original owner passed away a few years back. A local friend of ours asked if we would restore it so he could potentially sell it in the future. While the action was very rough and the bridge had split while coming off, the lacquer and bracing were in fine shape. I ended up making a new Brazilian bridge, did a neck reset, refret, and put on a bone nut and saddle. It now sounds great. The original owner’s wife said it was from 1968 though my own research seems to indicate ‘69. Any thoughts?

Really like the sunburst and the Brazilian back and sides are to die for. No Guild aficionado here, but am I correct in assuming that this was a prototype run that didn’t necessarily have consistent production features (like BRW back/sides, sunburst, etc.)? Anyway, I thought you would at least enjoy pics, and I would like to hear if anyone knows more. My job is now done, but I got curious. ;)

123-F815-F-CD0-A-4537-B9-B6-C68-DBEB2-E23-A.jpg

C12-D57-A8-2770-4608-BCFF-D7-F41-FA9-BE6-E.jpg

94-AF03-BB-9121-45-D5-8-B9-F-2-D89-AA0-CEB5-C.jpg

E000-D20-E-80-CB-444-C-BF3-C-D1-CB6-F1-C29-F3.jpg

Thanks!

Ryan

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome and great job on restoration. Hans will be along and give you all the asked for information. He is forum expert. Beautiful guitar.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
What does the sticker inside say? Is there a date stamped into the neck block inside?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is a beautiful D55 with the exception of it having a Non Correct Gibson Truss Rod Cover on it. You will find that around here you will get some grief about that. Pretty sure the Original Truss rod cover would be the Metal Guild version from this time period and not the later plastic models. Hans might even have an original one in his parts stash.

The serial number OI-109 dates it to a 1969 model according to Hans' book. It has a regular production serial number so I would say no on the "Prototype" question but at this point in time D55's were all special order items. They didn't become a regular catalog item until the early 70's. I'm sure Hans has an accurate date on when that transition from special order to Catalog item occurred. Brazilian RW back and sides were used regularly on production models until supply of pieces large enough started to run out. The official transition period for Brazilian to East Indian RW back and sides was around 68-69 but we have seen examples of Brazilian RW back and sides Guilds all the way through 1971. There are also examples of Guilds with Brazilian sides and East Indian RW backs during that time frame as well.

Great job in leaving the original finish alone and just fixing the things that needed tending too as it would have really hurt the value if you would have refinished the whole thing, at least in most folks eyes anyway.

Hope this info helps and I'm sure Hans will be along to fill you in on all the details needed soon.

TX

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This D-55 (#01-109) was pulled out of a closet after the original owner passed away a few years back. The original owner’s wife said it was from 1968 though my own research seems to indicate ‘69. Any thoughts?

Hello Ryan,

Welcome! That particular guitar with serial # OI-109 was completed during the year 1969.

....... but am I correct in assuming that this was a prototype run that didn’t necessarily have consistent production features (like BRW back/sides, sunburst, etc.)?

The D-55 was a 'Special Order' guitar that was introduced in the catalog during 1968. A few instruments with similar features were manufactured before that, but those were labeled as a 'D-50 Special'. The earliest one of the D-50 Specials was made for Tommy Smothers of the Smothers Brothers who used the instrument during many episodes of their show during the '60s and consequently a lot of people who grew up during that period have seen that guitar even though at that time they probably didn't realize how special it was. By 1974 the D-55 became a regular production model and for a long time it was the top-of-the-line guitar with the dreadnought shape.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

nacluth

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the info! Because I'm a new member, it looks like all responses have to be approved first, so I'm sorry that everything isn't getting posted in a timely manner. But, I really appreciate the info and the love for this guitar. I just returned it to its owner, and he was really excited to have it back. Having a lot of vintage instruments through our shop (Kinnaird Guitars in Nacogdoches, TX), this was one of those that seemed special from the moment we saw it. It has a great look and a really good sound. I don't know if we'll have as unique a Guild as this one through any time soon, but when we do, I'll post pictures.

Thanks again!

nacluth

Reaction score
Again, many thanks to everyone for your interest and kind words. Ha! I guess the Gibson truss rod got by me as it seemed all of a piece. I do remember seeing one of those metal ones before on some guitar we’ve worked on. Anyway, appreciate the help and the interest.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welcome Nacluth,

That is one drop dead gorgeous guitar. Good to see a fellow East Texan here. My son is a graduate of SFA, a forester. : ) Small world! I've spent a many a day in Nac.

West

Thanks everyone for all the info! Because I'm a new member, it looks like all responses have to be approved first, so I'm sorry that everything isn't getting posted in a timely manner. But, I really appreciate the info and the love for this guitar. I just returned it to its owner, and he was really excited to have it back. Having a lot of vintage instruments through our shop (Kinnaird Guitars in Nacogdoches, TX), this was one of those that seemed special from the moment we saw it. It has a great look and a really good sound. I don't know if we'll have as unique a Guild as this one through any time soon, but when we do, I'll post pictures.

Thanks again!

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
It's only the first few posts that are vetted...you'll be in real time soon if you aren't already. Thanks for stopping by and sharing the pics of the beautiful instrument...stick around.

bdeclee

Reaction score

Thanks again!

Wait — are you Steve Kinnaird? My husband knows of you from the Luthier’s Forum. He is Chris Wood...not building much these days, but still has a shop. Love your guitars!

nacluth

Reaction score
That is one drop dead gorgeous guitar. Good to see a fellow East Texan here. My son is a graduate of SFA, a forester. : ) Small world! I've spent a many a day in Nac.
Thanks West! If you’re ever back in our neighborhood, feel free to stop in our shop. We love visitors. We think Nac is a special place, and I wouldn’t trade the trees for anything.