Fender HSS Stratocaster & Guild D-30 Blonde

katthestar

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm quite short of money right now, so I put 2 of my guitars up on Reverb.
I figured I would also post about them here in case anyone might be interested.
I'm willing to negotiate on the prices, though the Stratocaster is probably close to as low as I would go for an online sale.
The D-30 I would probably go as low as $750-800 on.
I tried to show all of the little scrapes and scratches on them, so I worry I made them look bad.
They're both nice guitars, the Stratocaster was the first guitar I bought myself.
Here are the Reverb links:
https://rvrb.io/2002-d-30-bld-y0kcrb
https://rvrb.io/2003-american-stan-5dtwx4

Thanks for looking!

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Kat, looks like a good D30, they're generally great guitars, have owned several -
good luck with the sale. Only thing I'd suggest is adding some pics
of the bridge & saddle area so lookers can see how much saddle is left.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That D30 has some really nice silking in the spruce top, What a beautiful piece of Sitka. Best of luck with your listing!

TX

ronbo

Reaction score
I am interested in the D30. Looks like the nitro is peeling on the bottom picture on either side of the strap pin, maybe from sitting for a long time on a foam covered stand...Is the finish actually lifting there? Could I see a picture of the saddle?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the D30. Looks like the nitro is peeling on the bottom picture on either side of the strap pin, maybe from sitting for a long time on a foam covered stand...Is the finish actually lifting there? Could I see a picture of the saddle?

Hi Ronbo, apologies for the butt-inski but those look like cracking in the finish which is typically caused by either a temperature shock or an impact, suspect an impact because temperature shock checking is typically more widespread.
Cracking with lifting of the finish is almost always from impacts.
Also see another pic of checking right after those pics that may be more evidence of an impact, on the top, but not sure it that's the lower bout or top bout edge.

Typically NCL will degrade to a gummy mess if exposed to something like rubber on a stand, a different mechanism is at work: the solvents that keep the rubbers and vinyls soft are also solvents for NCL so it's attacked by them during long term contact as you thought might have happened.
I can't ever recall seeing cracking or lifting associated with being in contact with the padding on a stand though, only "smudging".
It'll eventually dry out and harden up again leaving a visible smear.

katthestar

Reaction score
I’ll take a picture of the saddle tonight. I haven’t played this guitar much and I don’t recall dropping it. I might send the pictures to my luthier to see if he can tell me what’s going on, but I imagine it’s been dropped at some point. I wanted to show all of the flaws so that people would know going in what the instruments are like. It also looks like the NCL is peeling in some places, I’m not sure why.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Ronbo, apologies for the butt-inski but those look like cracking in the finish which is typically caused by either a temperature shock or an impact, suspect an impact because temperature shock checking is typically more widespread.
Cracking with lifting of the finish is almost always from impacts.
Also see another pic of checking right after those pics that may be more evidence of an impact, on the top, but not sure it that's the lower bout or top bout edge.

Typically NCL will degrade to a gummy mess if exposed to something like rubber on a stand, a different mechanism is at work: the solvents that keep the rubbers and vinyls soft are also solvents for NCL so it's attacked by them during long term contact as you thought might have happened.
I can't ever recall seeing cracking or lifting associated with being in contact with the padding on a stand though, only "smudging".
It'll eventually dry out and harden up again leaving a visible smear.

i have Guilds that look like that, looks like typical finish cracking to me. more to do with the thickness of the finish than the temperature. i don’t see any impact damage in any of the photos. finish can do some wild stuff sometimes. i have a few if u hold it in the right light the finish cracking is crazy! they used to lay it on thick and heavy at Westerly.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
i don’t see any impact damage in any of the photos. finish can do some wild stuff sometimes. i have a few if u hold it in the right light the finish cracking is crazy! they used to lay it on thick and heavy at Westerly.
Actually both my late Westerlys (post '96) are very thin, it's the Corona that's thick and heavy, but that's just my experience and doesn't invalidate your point.
Even a casual tap of something at just the right time and spot could have cracked the finish with causing any real structural damage, because it does behave like glass, and I do see a very tiny ding right on the binding in that pic of he the top.
And didn't mean to imply Kat was trying to hide anything, obviously she put those photos up as "full disclosure" as she said.
I was more focused on pointing out why I didn't think it was solvent damage, but saying "Cracking is almost always from impact" might have been too strong.
Maybe somebody put an icebag on it after it got a booboo?
(No snark, pure humorous intent only!)

katthestar

Reaction score
I added photos to the Reverb listing showing the bridge and saddle, as well as one of the S/N. Hans said it might be a 2001. It was listed as a 2000, but described as a 2002. I think it’s a 2000 or 2001.

Also, I didn’t think anyone thought I was trying to hide something. I’m just worried that my pictures show only the bad. I’m kind of wavering on selling these. If I get my bonus from work next Friday and these haven’t sold, I’ll likely pull the listings.

katthestar

Reaction score
Am I pricing these too high? I got an offer for the D-30 for $525, but that seems low to me. If it’s not a lowball offer, let me know. I haven’t had much interest in either of these, which I’m a bit surprised by.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The guitar market is in the toilet right now. I find it difficult to sell anything.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I added photos to the Reverb listing showing the bridge and saddle, as well as one of the S/N. Hans said it might be a 2001. It was listed as a 2000, but described as a 2002. I think it’s a 2000 or 2001.
For sure can't be later than an '01, that was last year of Westerly production.
:friendly_wink:

Also, I didn’t think anyone thought I was trying to hide something. I’m just worried that my pictures show only the bad. I’m kind of wavering on selling these. If I get my bonus from work next Friday and these haven’t sold, I’ll likely pull the listings.
Hope it works out for you!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The guitar market is in the toilet right now. I find it difficult to sell anything.

Agreed. I think a lot of people (like myself) got unexpected tax liabilities this month.