adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What is it?

IMG_0883.jpg

Something to do while waiting for your meds to kick in:
https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/soap-souffle/

Don't ask me how I found this.
But I know what I'll be doing Saturday night.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was a kid (25 or so) I put a hot dog in a microwave for a 1/2 hour. It smelled *awful* but it was probably 18" long and 4" wide.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some guys would just buy a Porsche.

I LOVE THIS :watermelon::watermelon::watermelon::watermelon::watermelon:

But the story reminds me of my youth - I was living in Espoo next to Helsinki where I was studying. I had room in a house - and their son was studying in my hometown and living at my parents. Anyway - there were two girls living in the house - on about my age and one younger - plus two saluki dogs - and the mother - father was elsewhere while they were in divorce process.

Back to track - one day I come home - them salukis act nervous and there is this terrible smell. I go to kitchen and find a kettle on a full-blast stove with a piece that vaguely resembles charcoal in it - plenty of smoke, too. Good for all there was no fire - so I turned stove off - removed kettle - opened all possible windows and doors - after securing the dogs in one room. So there were no other people in the house at that time.

After about two hours later the younger daughter - Anja - returns - and noticing what's going on tells me that she was boiling egg before leaving - and while she was walking she was thinking : "How come I'm still hungry even after just eating that boiled egg?" She pleaded me not to tell her mother. I gallantly promised not to tell.

We aired the house for few hours and shut all doors and windows before her mother came from work. Immediately after stepping inside she exclaimed : "What have you burned here? " - so Anja confessed and that was it.

I can tell the smell was sumptin and nobody would ever have guessed that the charcoal piece was an egg in its previous element.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
i can tell the smell was sumptin and nobody would ever have guessed that the charcoal piece was an egg in its previous element.
And not too many guys would tape a fully carbonized egg to their leg before heading off to the disco.

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was a graduate student back about 1980, our lab got one of the very early microwaves... to melt agar, and otherwise heat laboratory items. Of course (very much against lab safety protocols), on more than one occasion we tried it out on our lunches...

I remember one of our post-doctoral fellows... a nice (but sometimes clueless fellow from Japan) but a whole raw egg in the microwave and turned it on to cook for his lunch... a few moments later "POW!" and the door to the oven blows open, and there is partly cooked egg everywhere. Funny enough, but even (to us) funnier were the fellows first words, uttered with a clueless expression on his face and total lack of understanding "Funny, it did that last time!"

As scientitst in training, we all learn early on that every experimental result needs to be repeated and confirmed... but such calamitous failures need no repetition!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was a graduate student back about 1980, our lab got one of the very early microwaves... to melt agar, and otherwise heat laboratory items. Of course (very much against lab safety protocols), on more than one occasion we tried it out on our lunches...

My stepfather was a microwave engineer, working for General Electric. His primary areas were terrestrial and (eventually) satellite communications but sometime in the 1950's he was on an R&D project to see whether you could use microwaves to heat or cook in a "consumer" environment. They built a couple of microwave ovens that were viable as commercial products in terms of size, cost and safety but their tests focused on meats. The oven certainly cooked a roast, and much faster than conventional ovens, but the cooked roast looked disgusting. They put the project on a back burner and it took about 15-20 years before GE made their first consumer microwave oven. Needless to say he bought one and our family got about 25 years of service out of it until Mrs. Fro. and I decided we really needed the kitchen counter space for something else. For obvious reasons, we had a pretty good idea of what should not be heated and the only incident I recall was when someone reheated coffee without realizing there was gold foil decorating the coffee cup.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My stepfather was a microwave engineer, working for General Electric. His primary areas were terrestrial and (eventually) satellite communications
That explains so much.
:biggrin-new:
it took about 15-20 years before GE made their first consumer microwave oven. Needless to say he bought one and our family got about 25 years of service out of it until Mrs. Fro. and I decided we really needed the kitchen counter space for something else.

And you just reminded me that the kitchen of the Heathkit House featured a Heathkit microwave oven:
s-l400.jpg

And new for '71 was the Heathkit Trash Compactor:
http://www.w6ze.org/Heathkit/Heathkit_071_ GU1800.pdf
"The GU-1800 came with 5 plastic lined bags and a can of deodorant"

Either one could accommodate a full grown chihuahua, and I'm sure many did.