Interesting Guitar Brand Article (Guild held in a similar light as Martin)

jcwu

Reaction score
I'm really curious when the article was written, based simply on this one sentence: "Right now, the popularity of the guitar is undeniable."

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting piece... Does somehow read like a Guild ad in places. It's real generous of this writer to quickly write off Epiphone as junk, and then go on about history in the next paragraph... Also to lump Martin, Guild and Taylor together and to only mention Gibson for the Les Paul, wow, a real slap in the face to a legacy of exquisite acoustic guitar and mandolin building...

Especially mandolins.

But everybody knows that, right?

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting piece... Does somehow read like a Guild ad in places. It's real generous of this writer to quickly write off Epiphone as junk, and then go on about history in the next paragraph... Also to lump Martin, Guild and Taylor together and to only mention Gibson for the Les Paul, wow, a real slap in the face to a legacy of exquisite acoustic guitar and mandolin building...

Especially mandolins.

But everybody knows that, right?

Yeah, first they were the Gibson MANDOLIN company.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....wow, a real slap in the face to a legacy of exquisite [Gibson] acoustic guitar and mandolin building...

The Article said:
Stealing Share is an elite global brand company...

Yes, it's nice they've put Guild in a nice position in that article, but basically, this "branding company" doesn't know much about guitars or the guitar market.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You folks are missing context. The publishing site is a company that makes its money by "helping" companies create or tweak their brand message so that they can sell in today's market. They explicitly want to help a company profit by using its brand to steal market share (from other companies making a similar product).

My opinion, and I think I can support it by more than anecdotes, is that the majority of active LTG posters have very little interest or understanding in the Guild brand as it is used to sell new guitars in today's market. We are, however, passionate about how the current branding validates our choices to purchase, own and promote Guilds. But we often fail to recognize that those are two different things. (How many times is a complaint about Guild's advertising or design choices rebutted with "but you aren't the target audience"?)

What that says to me is that brand history is much more important to LTG than to new buyers. New guitar buyers (not just potential Guild customers) want to know that the brand has some history but they don't care how many factories there were or what else the company made.

I looked at the page info on the original article and there is media that I'm pretty sure was created or modified in April 2018. So I'd be comfortable saying the article is less than a year old.