Phone scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
May their armpits be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels!

My phone has been ringing multiple (10-15) times a day from out of state callers - Texas, Florida, California, Indiana seem to be the most popular ones. I refuse to answer them. And of course, they NEVER leave a message.

I called today and put my phone on the "do not call" registry. Gee, I was pretty sure I already did that a couple years ago, but apparently it wasn't on the list any more because they allowed me to register. Now, apparently after 31 days, they will not be allowed to call my number any more.

Someone needs to figure out a way to answer these calls and automatically infect the sender's computer with several nasty viruses.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A friend of mine said he wouldn't pee on them if they caught on fire unless he could pee 93 octane

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I gave up my land line home phone this year after, well, a lifetime of having one. The land line was useless to me and just an annoyance, really. I do everything with my cellphone these days, and I rarely get unsolicited calls. Between the internet and the cell phone that's just fine for me. There have been rare occasions when power and cable (internet) have gone out at my house where an analog phone was still usable, but in recent years it hasn't actually lasted long enough for me to really care.

My 86 year old mother cannot handle a cell phone and she lives alone so she needs the land line. That said, she was scammed last year, and I couldn't agree more with your initial post. These people are the lowest of the low.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is why I never answer the phone unless it's someone I know.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I just have a cell phone and get all sorts of calls from "local" Virginia numbers and out of state as well. My IPhone has begun to figure out some of the "scam likely" calls and informs me too., Nevertheless, I would suggest writing to my Congress-person and telling them to write legislation to stop this craziness.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
If you purchase anything online you're going to get unwanted phone calls. If you do anything online you're going to get unwanted phone calls. My TV talks to me and spies on me. HULU knows everything I do. Netflix knows everything I do. Google controls the world and as long as you have a cell phone or a PC you are considered just one part of a one world order. If you search on line you're doomed. If you apply for a loan anywhere, online or otherwise, you're going to phone calls from insurance companies, lawn care services, credit card companies; anything you can imagine.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Local numbers - scammers -ocall on my cell phone. If I don't recognize number, I just ignore it. And if message (very very very seldom) is left-I decide if it is callback worthy.
My phone is for MY convenience.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My wife got a call from her own number. Which is a total scam....

Don't ever answer the phone if you don't know who it is!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wall phone goes automatically to voice mail. All we get are scammers on it, just haven't got rid of it yet.

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Local numbers - scammers -ocall on my cell phone. If I don't recognize number, I just ignore it. And if message (very very very seldom) is left-I decide if it is callback worthy.
My phone is for MY convenience.

Yup, that's exactly right Stuball. Cell phones are easy to ignore.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

My phone has been ringing multiple (10-15) times a day from out of state callers - Texas, Florida, California, Indiana seem to be the most popular ones. I refuse to answer them. And of course, they NEVER leave a message.

I called today and put my phone on the "do not call" registry. Gee, I was pretty sure I already did that a couple years ago, but apparently it wasn't on the list any more because they allowed me to register. Now, apparently after 31 days, they will not be allowed to call my number any more.

Someone needs to figure out a way to answer these calls and automatically infect the sender's computer with several nasty viruses.

If your carrier supports it, and mine does, NoMoRobo is a great tool (and free for landlines). Kills robocalls right in their tracks. They charge $20 a year for cell phones, and that is equally effective. Money well spent I think.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hiya is pretty effective at detecting and handling SPAM calls. It is free on my Android. There are several other call handlers/blockers for cell phones that are free, effective or both. Many carriers offer a blocking service for their customers. But traditional landlines requires spending money and working with your provider.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
They already ARE several nasty viruses.
And getting on the Do Not Call list only stops ethical solicitors, those who are in fact attempting to comply with the law.
There's a ton of 'em that simply ignore the listings and most use robots besides, which are illegal in several states to start with.
It's also time for annual Tax scams in which your friendly federal IRS agent advises you on how to pay off your tax debt with gift cards to avoid apprehension by local cops within the next 2 hours.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Blame Trump he reverted the law unless missed something if so he most likely owns the companies doing it why would say it's ok to do this ? Just saying .

I think pagers we'll make a comback !

Personally I don't Give a Flying F it's harrasment anyway you look at it as it never ends . I'm mostly pro life but in this case ........ Never let me find out you work in this field .

I know its cold but I wouldn't do anything life ending but possibly body damaging if I find the folks at the top of the ladder .😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know its cold but I wouldn't do anything life ending but possibly body damaging if I find the folks at the top of the ladder .��

It's Tay:
hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.