Guild D-55 Value Question

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I may be selling my 2005 D-55 and getting a smaller body guitar.
Most of my playing time is now done with an OM size guitar.

To try and help with the shoulder pain, I installed a John Pearse arm guard to the D-55.
It didn't help and actually did the opposite.
I removed the guard only to find that the glue had caused a reaction to the finish and now the edge of the guitar
has a slightly noticeable ripple in the finish.

I see prices on a D-55 as high as $2,000.000 on Reverb.
With this small blemish on mine, what do you all think it should sell for?
There are no other blemishes on the guitar.
It looks and plays fantastic.

383roller

Reaction score
Put yourself in a buyers set of shoes and determine what price is worth choosing yours over one without an issue.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert but I bought my NH D 55 in near mint condition for $1,800 shipped. Personally, that's as high as I'd go for a D 55 unless it had something unique and special (like the 50th Anniv. for example). Not sure what the repair might cost (if the buyer even chooses to do it) but for me, that would come off my base of $1,800. Others may well disagree.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I have tried that.
I'm thinking that something in the $1500 to $1600 would be right.
The finish damage is not very noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Still on my "bucket list" and when my guitar fund builds up after Bozung Super, the D55 will be my first purchase. Have one spotted in McLean, VA but owner not ready to let go--yet.
Think I remember two on forum in last 6 months for $1450.
Pictures would help.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I say it is worth $5 and since I am such a nice guy I will gladly give you $10 for your troubles plus shipping, LOL. On a serious note in the condition you say it is in I wouldn't see a problem with asking anywhere from $1600-$1800 and am pretty sure it would sell rather quickly in that price range. You've got to figure that new ones can be had for between $2500-$3300 depending on what kind of deal you can get from a dealer. Being a 2005 it should be a Tacoma model which have a pretty good following for quality and tone. I have seen used prices for these climb over the last year and a half with some of them selling as high as $2300 in pristine condition. Just an opinion as always and hope this info helps a bit.

TX

PittPastor

Reaction score
I may be selling my 2005 D-55 and getting a smaller body guitar.
With this small blemish on mine, what do you all think it should sell for?
There are no other blemishes on the guitar.
It looks and plays fantastic.

Is there any way you can get a Luthier to bid on the fix? I'd do that and include it in the ad. Not that it is a guarantee or anything, but it might let people know it isn't a big deal. IDK.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Is there any way you can get a Luthier to bid on the fix? I'd do that and include it in the ad. Not that it is a guarantee or anything, but it might let people know it isn't a big deal. IDK.

That is just what I was thinking.
I caused the problem so I should try to fix it.

I tried to take some pictures of the area that has the finish blemish.
It doesn't show up in pictures.
You have to get it in the right light to see it.
But when I do see it, it really bothers me that I did that to my beautiful guitar.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, you did it for a valid reason, not that you intended to cause the blemish. Don't beat yourself up too badly over it, TMG. 12 years later, I still beat myself up about cracking two of my guitars. But that was ignorance about humidity. Many lessons learned there.