I need a camera!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know there are a few shutterbugs here. I am looking for a dslr to take gearshots with. My phone actually takes very good pictures, but it also ate about 500 pictures for no apparent reason. I would go up to 800 beans, I think. Any more than that would be overkill, I think.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like my Canon Rebel. There are lots of different Rebel models through the years, and most are very affordable. Mine also does hi-def video (and I haven't even played with that much). I remember film photography. Digital is just awesome.

You'll likely want to get some program to "mess with" your photos. With all the megapixels nowadays, my photos come out about 6 feet wide at 72 dpi. I always "develop" those down to 12-18 inches for the web. I use photoshop elements (<$100). Good luck!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
B&H is a good online source. Sometimes they have great bundle deals.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Things to realize before you go down this dark path:

You may want to consider:

Camera
Lens
Flash
Memory Card(s)
Card Reader (if you don't have one already)
Software

Entry-level DSLRs often come in a kit that includes a "kit lens" which is functional but not great. Lenses are where the image quality really comes from. Well, that and the person taking the photo. That said, if you can't recognize the difference between a $200 kit lens and a $2000 pro lens, then the pro lens isn't worth the money. For me they weren't until I grew into them.

Because of all of that, a DSLR may be overkill. There are some seriously great ProSumer cameras that don't have interchangeable lenses in your price range that may be worth looking into.

If you still think a DSLR is the answer, then my recommendation is to go to your local big-box or camera store and handle them all. If you're not already invested in a system then buy the camera manufacturer who's camera feels best in your hand. I'm a Canon guy mostly because I have been for years and as a result I have a lot invested in lenses. If I were to start from scratch today I'd probably lean towards Nikon today because I like the ergonomics of their camera bodies more now (I didn't think that 15 years ago).

If you're going to use the camera for detailed amp gut shots, you'll want one that can do reasonably good close-up work. Most cameras call this "macro", though they usually misuse that term (don't get me started). Still, being able to shoot clear close-up images is a huge benefit when talking amp guts and pickup details and the like. For full-on guitar shots, a zoom lens in the "normal" range is all you need. Honestly the big deal with guitar shots (any photo, really) is light and controlling the light is more skill than gear (says the guy who spent WAY too much money on his lights). :pride:

If you start doing research you'll fall down the path of megapixels and pixel pitch and a bunch of other crap. My advice is to ignore all of it. A camera is a tool just like a guitar. It should inspire the artist and not get in their way.

Cameras don't take great photos; people take great photos. :encouragement:

Edit: Just an after-thought. I bought my teenage daughter a Canon Rebel, but I did that only because it would allow her to work easily with my existing gear.

Double Edit: Shooting raw is amazing. Learn to shoot raw. Also, invest in hard drives for all the space you'll consume with all those raw files.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorama is a very good online site to consider, and they offer great customer service for returns, exchanges, etc.
They have kits aplenty to equip you with everything you need to get started.
FWIW, I'm a long-time Nikon fan. :encouragement:

Joe

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with Nikon or Canon, but make sure you get a brand name lens. When I was into film photography, I preferred Pentax, if only because of the backward/forward compatibility of their lenses, but even their least expensive DSLR that I've seen would be pushing your limit with a decent lens. As to B&H and Adorama, they have often been accused of selling gray market products, nothing illegal, and there can be substantial savings, but there is usually no US warranty.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, I bought a Nikon D5000 bundle from Best Buy. I shopped B&H, but Best Buy had a great deal...two lenses, case, memory cards, charger, for a great price. I'm not too into the weeds on cameras, but mine does more than I'll ever figure out.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Started doing the research today, so it should be interesting, especially when I drag an amp into the store and throw it onto the counter.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DSLR's are not the way to go. Not from zero to DSLR.

I would highly recommend a point and shoot with a decent lens, Sony has Zeiss lenses (more or less) and Panasonic has Leica lenses.

What gets you quality photographs are "the glass", and the sensor.

Micro 4 3rds cameras (CANON is a good example) are pure pro photographers tools, to the point where my brother in law (who used to pal around with Ansel Adams and Edward Weston) teaches B&W photo seminars in the desert actually uses his tiny Canon for everything now, even tho he has $20k of (heavy) Canon DSLR gear...

Personally I prefer Nikon DSLR cameras, the older lenses are pretty outstanding.

But I use a Panasonic Lumix LX5, cheap, handy, and does amazing close ups.

"The best camera is the one you have on you", and the lighter and more compact the better. Obviously the Iphone, etc fits this shirt pocket category.

As well, with a "real" camera, you can learn things like how to control exposure, depth of field, etc.

Any old Kodak publication "How to make great pictures" from the 50's can teach you everything you need to know about these things, as well as hundreds of other books, John Hedgecoe comes to mind, but I'm a bitof a dinosaur I suppose...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hedgecoe

In closing, I'd have to say my point and shoot consistently takes better quickie pics than the fussy DSLR which has a tendency to underexpose, especially with wide angle lenses.

But if I hear a Pileated Woodpecker chomping on a snag and I want to try to get a decent pic, I grab the Nikon with a 300 lens, which by the way when not on a "full frame" DSLR undergoes a 1.6 multiplication for an actual focal length of 480mm, not too shabby for birds.

I did graduate from a 2 year Commercial Photo program back in 1997, back in the lovely old darkroom days. The teachers made us shoot everything on 4x5's, 35mm cameras were not considered serious cameras, especially not for any kind of serious art photography...

Had my first darkroom in a bedroom closet in 1972, when I was 11. I'd got black Pentax Spotmatic for my birthday, and I was in heaven. I'd already been shooting since I was about 8 on a good old Kodak 126 film Instamatic... ;-)

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
To counter that, I have had Lumix LX3, LX5, LX10, and four 4/3 cameras. I love gear and I have some of the latest Fuji X-cameras (X-T20, X-E3) that are great. Lots of fun and take great pics. Bought too many nice lenses for them as well. I bring my Canon G5X with me everywhere because it's more portable than my DSLR.

I still *greatly* prefer my full-frame DSLR for everything.

My point is that there is no "best" solution in photography just as there is no "best" in guitar gear. You need to figure out what works for you.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Photo software is pretty much covered by The Gimp, I do need to get a backdrop and lighting. Some of the p&s cameras are much better than I expected. The last time I had my old Canon out was five years ago. That camera would be considered on the level of freehand pencil drawing now.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I suppose a real DSLR is still the best (outside of a 4x5 or Hasselblad with a digital back ;-), but the cost of a really good body and lenses?

I have a neighbor who bought a cheap Nikon DSLR (entry level), got the "kit lens". His pictures really aren't that good... and it's kinda sad, cause he thinks they are and maybe they're better than his last camera, but they're really not that good, and he won't learn how to shoot either...

And like many people, his lens is either dirty and or scratched from improper cleaning.

DSLR take a bit of care in dirty environments... Also to note, Nikon lenses bayonet on counterclockwise, this is the opposite of everyone else. For me it's second nature, but I could see that being a problem for some people.

But my point is that entry level DSLR cameras and lenses are not that great at all, especially the lenses.

Last edited:

Opsimath

Reaction score
Camera talk. I find this fascinating. And I am ashamed of myself because I can't contribute. My dad was a professional photographer with his own portrait studio with dark room. He printed all his photos himself, both B&W and color. My mom still has his two huge wooden framed studio cameras that were old when he bought them. They used some kind of single piece of film that he would load in on a frame for each shot. He did the shots with a bulb squeezer thing that he held in his hand. I remember him posing the subject, telling them to lick their lips, getting them to smile, and then squeezing the shot. He was great with babies and kids, too. He had Hasselblad (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) cameras that he took to weddings and on-site shootings. It was the mid 60's and he had a seatbelt installed in the center of the front seat of our Fairlane 500 so that he could belt his camera in.

And I barely know the front of a camera from the back. I will say, though, that about 15 or so years ago I tried to get into cameras and learn them. I ordered one online, I think it was Olympus but I really don't remember, but I never really liked it because it seemed heavy and felt uncomfortable in my hands. It had a lens that would automatically spin out when I turned the camera on. My son dropped it and that messed up the lens threads, rendering the camera pretty much useless. I think I had used it twice. Oh, well. In any event, going to a store and holding a few is good advice.

And that's all I can say about that because although I should, I don't know anything else. I'm finding the advice of experts here quite interesting, though.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
271867151_1dd981d991.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'd suggest a compact camera with a moderate zoom range, something like Panasonic's LX-100 II. It's a little over budget brand new, but you might be able to get a deal on a refurb or lightly used example. Check out the big NYC camera shops for such deals as well as KEH. Because the camera is an all-in-one it'll help keep you from going down the photo gear rabbit hole. Consider this a warning from the other side…I'm a total goner myself. ;)

-Dave-

Grassdog

Reaction score
Talk about a rabbit hole. Unless you have the time to invest (that is, time not spent playing guitars) I'd recommend keeping it as simple as possible. The camera's in the iPhone are getting better every year. I just go with that.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Talk about a rabbit hole. Unless you have the time to invest (that is, time not spent playing guitars) I'd recommend keeping it as simple as possible. The camera's in the iPhone are getting better every year. I just go with that.

Only makes sense for people who are willing to use an iPhone for other things :)