I got a cell phone ..... 😑

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I got a cell phone ..... ��

giphy.gif

Grassdog

Reaction score
Only makes sense for people who are willing to use an iPhone for other things :)

Sorry I forgot about my Android friends - hey, those cameras are getting more amazing each year too.

I apologize if my earlier post came off as dismissive on the subject. That's not what I meant. I appreciate that great photography is an art form unto itself and it takes a lot of experience and hard work to excel at it. It's just that at this stage of life I feel like I have to devote as much energy as I can to being a better musician - there's not a lot of time leftover for other pursuits - thus I use the easiest and most accessible camera form I have which is the phone.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Adorama and B&H Photo Video Do sell grey market gear, and they LABEL as such on the web page. They all sells LOTS and LOTS of USA market gear and label is as such. They are both good places to buy. KEH Camera Brokers is good for their used gear selection. They generally rate the shape the items are lower than most. A Good from KEH is probably at least an Excellent from other places. I recommend them all.

I think as long as you get a camera that lets you take control of the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and has a lens that lets you get close-up, IF that is what you need for details pictures, you should be good to go. As others have said, knowing how to use the light, natural or man made versions, you can take darn good shots. I have a shelf in my closet FULL of older camera gear. I would like to get back into using it.

jazzmang

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to look into mirrorless designs, like the Sony alpha 6300. Get the kit w/ the lens and you'll be thrilled.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
On the KISS front, the Nikon W300 looks pretty interesting. It seems to be good for closeup shots, particularly since the lights come on when your body blocks the light, which seems to happen to me quite a bit.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry I forgot about my Android friends - hey, those cameras are getting more amazing each year too.

I apologize if my earlier post came off as dismissive on the subject. That's not what I meant. I appreciate that great photography is an art form unto itself and it takes a lot of experience and hard work to excel at it. It's just that at this stage of life I feel like I have to devote as much energy as I can to being a better musician - there's not a lot of time leftover for other pursuits - thus I use the easiest and most accessible camera form I have which is the phone.

And let's not forget the old saying : "Best camera is the one you have with you." I'm content with picture quality of my iPhone in daylight & bright lamplight. Wish there was optical zoom like in some Android phones.

I admire results of skilled photographers with excellent equipment. Don't get me wrong there. Just can not see me lugging a big camera when walking the dog.

But if I were shooting Stones playing walking the dog . . .

DThomasC

Reaction score
And let's not forget the old saying : "Best camera is the one you have with you."

Which is exactly the reason that I haven't bought a DSLR. I'm sure they're awesome, but I'm even more sure that I would almost never have it with me when I wanted it. To that end, I bought a Lumix LX3 a few years ago. That camera has good glass and can capture some really good images. Unfortunately, it still is not quite small enough for me to grab-n-go and doesn't offer as much zoom as I'd like. So I bought a Sony DSC-WX350. The WX350 will fit in a shirt pocket, has a pretty good lens (though not quite as good as the Lumix) and offers 20x optical zoom. It's small enough that I don't hesitate to take it with me, and the (potential) image quality is far better then the best cell phone.

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm more about beauty shots of gear and closeups than I am nature photography, so bulkiness one way or another is not a consideration.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm more about beauty shots of gear and closeups than I am nature photography, so bulkiness one way or another is not a consideration.

Honestly, lighting and setup matter more than cameras for product shots.

dbirchett

Reaction score
The best camera is one that you will have with you and use. A DSLR is not a good idea if it is going to be at home all the time. I have a nice little Nikon DSLR (D3100) with a pretty good all-purpose lens (18-200) and it takes beautiful pictures when I use it on vacations and the like, but most of my pictures are taken with my iPhone 7.

Last edited:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total

The most important consideration, in my opinion, is the glass that you'll be making the images with. Get the best lens you can afford first and you upgrade the camera body later. Also, sounds like you'll be most happy having some good macro capabilities.

Good luck!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You'll be satisfied with a Nikon Coolpix A900...everything you need in one compact package. Shoots great HD video, too.
*Sorry if I'm being redundant but from what I've been reading, that's still my call. :encouragement:

Joe

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I think I'd pay attention to what Joe has to say. If he doesn't know it, it doesn't exist. Swell head yet Killdeer? It's o.k. you'd wear it well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You'll be satisfied with a Nikon Coolpix A900...everything you need in one compact package. Shoots great HD video, too.
*Sorry if I'm being redundant but from what I've been reading, that's still my call. :encouragement:

Joe

Does it float?
:friendly_wink: