12 string, string guage

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually GHS show Silk & Bronze as warmer than Silk & Steel.

cIihAOAl.jpg
I don' know where that comes from, but THAT's not GHS's home page chart, visible here:
https://www.ghsstrings.com/products?categories=acoustic
Although granted it surprised me somewhat since I also expected the silk and bronze to be warmer, but I trust GHS to have vetted their own site when putting up that chart.

Last edited:

Brucebubs

Reaction score
I don' know where that comes from, but THAT's not GHS's home page chart, visible here:
https://www.ghsstrings.com/products?categories=acoustic
Although granted it surprised me somewhat since I also expected the silk and bronze to be warmer, but I trust GHS to have vetted their own site when putting up that chart.

Well they must have changed their site because I just put a set of GHS Phosphor Bronze strings on one of my guitars and look at the back of the pack - their tone graph shows Silk & Bronze as more 'mellow' than Silk & Steels - exactly like the chart I posted!

QTS19Cgm.jpg
k3HFfAnm.jpg
T5ah7CTl.jpg

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Does that mean they're even quieter than the S&S?

Pearce Silk & Bronze strings are supposed to be a lot brighter or louder than the GHS (and D'addario) S&S strings?

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Does that mean they're even quieter than the S&S?

Pearce Silk & Bronze strings are supposed to be a lot brighter or louder than the GHS (and D'addario) S&S strings?

No they are not like Silk & Steels, they feel and sound more like PB strings .. only warmer.
I'd say they are slightly louder than Silk & Steels too.
I've used both GHS and John Pearse and both are very good, the JP's are a touch brighter and louder when new but they settle down after a week or so.

b1vZl51l.jpg

Brucebubs

Reaction score
I found today that LaBella also make Silk & Steel in 12-string sets.
I've used their 6 string Silk & Steels and rate them as the next best to Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums - certainly more affordable!

The LaBella 12-string Silk & Steels are;

- 710-12L - Light - .010-.051
- 710-12M - Medium - .012 - .056
- 710-12H - Heavy - .014 - .068