Hanging Guitars

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am amused. The original article said
Of course, I need to play the role of the conservative luthier a little and say: the absolute safest place for your guitar is in the case, stored in a stable environment. It won’t suffer any unexpected bumps or bruises if it’s safely tucked away. If you are going to have it out, a floor stand would be my least favorite choice; you can’t predict when a dog’s tail, an absentminded guest, or even (gasp!) you might knock it over. This often means a headstock break, but punctures and dings are also common injuries. Getting it up on the wall, in a padded hanger, is the better option; it’s simply more out of the way.
I see the usual suspects repeating their preference for cases or hangers using the same justifications that they have used before. It's almost like folks were scared off by the concern about malware (which for the record has not happened on several systems I used to investigate) and didn't even read the article.

:)

many corroded guitars and with deteriorated binding were stored in cases too long.

I'm going to suggest that the corrosion had nothing to do with the instrument being a case and everything to do with the environment the case was stored in. The few instances of that kind of corrosion that I have seen or heard of were explained by the case (and guitar) being in a flood or stored for a long time in a humid environment by salt water.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
. . .
We are in the same climate, but I keep the PRS out. I have a "whole house" humidifier running in the winter. I hope this comment doesn't jinx it, but I never had a "humidity" issue with any guitars in the 30 years I've lived in this house.

The PRS is "quieter" unplugged than the F-30 - it actually sounds good unplugged, but the F-30 has much more volume. So it's more "handy" simply because I don't bother anyone when I play it unplugged. Playing the F-30 or the PRS plugged in usually only happens when I have the place to myself. I'm still putting plenty of hours a week on both guitars, though!

walrus
Hey, Walrus... Greetings from a few miles away! I have old-school oil furnace with circulated-water baseboard heating in my house and no easy way to implement whole-house humidification. If I had a ducted system, I'd have humidification and central air too. But, instead, I keep my guitar room at reasonable humidity during the winter and keep the guitars in their cases (or one/two out on a stand in that room). In summer the house is overly humid (except where my ductless air cond units operate). Too much humidity (which varies rather a lot) has not caused any problem during those months.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Quote Originally Posted by swiveltung View Post
many corroded guitars and with deteriorated binding were stored in cases too long.

"I'm going to suggest that the corrosion had nothing to do with the instrument being a case and everything to do with the environment the case was stored in. The few instances of that kind of corrosion that I have seen or heard of were explained by the case (and guitar) being in a flood or stored for a long time in a humid environment by salt water."
I think in many situations you are correct. But, for instance, Vintage Gretsch guitars are noted for deteriorating binding & plastic parts outgassing and sitting in cases for a long time. Sometimes corroding the metal also.
Interestingly, About a year ago, I put fresh strings on a EC Stratocaster which I dont gig with much. Took it to the gig as a back up, but never used it. It came home and sat in the case for over a year. Last week I opened up the case and a couple things had occurred: The fret ends were sprouting out on the neck (side of neck) just enough to feel readily. The new strings had a grey sheen to them, not shiny, and felt a bit... "non-slick" kinda like 1500 grit sand paper. This guitar was stored right beside me here in the heated office/bedroom along with all the non cased guitars that are in my 6 guitar rack. Some of these guitars are not played either.. but not in a case.
So, I don't know, it's a thought...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am amused. The original article said
I see the usual suspects repeating their preference for cases or hangers using the same justifications that they have used before. It's almost like folks were scared off by the concern about malware (which for the record has not happened on several systems I used to investigate) and didn't even read the article.
This usual suspect is going to mention that I had a new insight myself over the weekend:
When you case 'em, NCL lacquer will age much more slowly.
Whether or not you consider that a good thing is probably largely a matter of personal taste.
For electric guitars in particular as Swiveltung mentions, not only the binding but NCL itself releases corrosive gases, we saw a vivid picture of corroded pickups here a while back, think it was SFIV1967 that posted 'em?
So long-term storage (years) without any periodic airing probably isn't a good idea.
Final note is that guitars hanging out in the air are gonna collect dust, period.
Inside the guitar, too.
Which acts as humidity trap in certain situations.
And I still say casing 'em is a form of insurance against damage, no matter how safe and secure you think your hangers or stands are.
How safe is your house itself from natural hazards?
I might be ok with leaving one out on its stand in the base commander's quarters in Cheyenne Mountain, though.
As long as he doesn't have an uncaged pet.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"How safe is your house itself from natural hazards?"

We were on fire last summer, DNR guys in the yard, DC10's flying right over your head. I had to put a guitar in the car to get ready to go. At the time it was a OW '74 Strat in a gigbag, no acoustics, too big in the car.

We never left though, under code 3 the whole time, we stayed and we watched.

Anyway, that's a natural hazard that does happen, and ummm... it basically it doesn't really matter if they all burn, at the end of the day, it's just stuff.

And yeah, a bunker is a GREAT idea, been wanting one for years.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyway, that's a natural hazard that does happen, and ummm... it basically it doesn't really matter if they all burn, at the end of the day, it's just stuff.
Well as a certain Mr. Harrison once said, sure, "Beware of Maya...", but still....
In my case (so to speak), I can't buy a new D25 and start all over again.
I'm just too old to do what I did when I was 40, anymore.
For that matter, can't buy a new GA body (F65ce) from Guild these days, either.
And I humbly submit the emotional investment is a little different when you've raised 'em from new so even the D40's in that family.
And when I haven't had one out for some bonding for a couple of months I still get a honeymoon moment.
Even with the D25.
Probably wouldn't happen if they were in my face every day.
:friendly_wink:
:glee:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Notre Dame organs mostly survived even though they were not in case . . .

Do they have a case ???

Prob'ly not.
But my heart really goes out to poor little Quasimodo who doesn't have a place to, uh, hang out anymore.

latest

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
When I bought my Gretsch Chet Atkins the folks at Elderly told me, "Take it outta the case every so often and just let it breathe even if you don't play it." Which I've done. The binding and other plastic parts on this guitar are in great shape, which is often not the case, but there's still a little corrosion on the bridge pickup (Dyna'Sonic) cover. I clean it each spring with a Q-tip dipped in naptha followed by a light linseed oil treatment via the same method. The guitar spends most of the winter in its case and much of the summer out & about in the house.

-Dave-

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Chaz,

I think the author was implying that by hanging an acoustic by it's headstock, the weight of the guitar negated some of the stress that the stings put on the body and neck. Made sense to me, although I don't think any of my guitars weigh 200 lbs., including my JF30-12 (almost....maybe 190) : ). This winter was the first winter I left mine hanging. I do keep one expensive and one inexpensive hygrometer in the music room, along with a very good room humidifier. Humidity, during winter, with the central heat running, was at a minimum of 42%, but normally in the 50% range. 49% tonight. : )

West

I actually wish I had the right climate in my house year round to keep the axes out. My guitars stay cased in the winter because my house is too dry for 4-5 months of the year. I've learned that lesson. Now that I don't have kids running around the house, a wife that might want to put a foot into one, or any of that kind of risk I would like to have them out, and I have several really nice floor stands that I use occasionally. I appreciate West's point of view on this and I recall that he set up a beautiful room for it with a bunch of his guitars on stands on the wall. Very nice.

And, yeah... String tension, if I recall correctly, is close to 200 pounds, so concerns about hanging the guitars causing more stress.... that's silly.

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....I don't think any of my guitars weigh 200 lbs., including my JF30-12 (almost....maybe 190) : ).....

Heh. When I'm pulling my JF30-12 case from the rack to lay it down and open it up to play the guitar inside, it's a two-handed job!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The day my JF30-12 arrived, I took it out of the box, and in preparing to tune her up, set her in a guitar stand in the living room. I turned my back for just a few seconds, and bam....straight to the floor.....which thankfully was carpeted. There was no damage to the guitar, but my gosh the two truss rods make them so top heavy. Combine that with a jumbo body in maple, and yes, they are very heavy guitars.

West

Heh. When I'm pulling my JF30-12 case from the rack to lay it down and open it up to play the guitar inside, it's a two-handed job!

Tico

Reaction score
By the way, should I change strings now? :>)

It depends on the music.
Those two strings are probably perfect for some of today's music. :glee: and you only need two strings anyway to capture today's complex harmonies.