Hanging Guitars

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks.

I note the article seems to validate the conventional wisdom. Safest place is in the case. If absolute safety is not the driving consideration then hanging, making sure the hanger doesn't interact with the finish, is fine. Don't forget to monitor temperature and humidity.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This acousticguitar link tried me to install malware, I got a link that my Firefoy would be out of date. Be careful, don't install anything and close the entire page if that happens. The second time the page opened normal.
Ralf

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have guitars hanging all over the house from various pegs, hooks and curtain rods.

I make a very strong look of cord, leather, etc and hang the guitar by looping around the top tuner buttons/shafts.

A while back someone picked up up my '76 Alvarez classical from the post where is was hanging, played it, and then hung it back up on a plastic thumbtack that's holding a half dozen rattlesnakes skins to the post.

It might have hung there like that for a couple days when I caught it.

I saw it was hanging up a little higher than usual, looked at it and I was like WTF? The tack was hanging down, about ready to pull out of the Doug fir post...

Good thing it was superlight...

It's upstairs in the case now.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Same thing happened on my laptop, SFIV.

Anyway, I'll add one more vote for "Keep 'em in the case if they're not being played."

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I keep all my guitars in their cases, except for my '73 S-100 which lives at night on a chair in my den and during the day on my bed. It's my go-to noodling electric, with a Martin 0-15 to keep it company. :) I tune up each guitar about once a month…in between they just stay tuned up!

-Dave-

swiveltung

Reaction score
I have not a lot of big issues fortunately, but really wonder if a case is the best place, many corroded guitars and with deteriorated binding were stored in cases too long. Let 'em breathe.
By the way, should I change strings now? :>)

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
I have not a lot of big issues fortunately, but really wonder if a case is the best place, many corroded guitars and with deteriorated binding were stored in cases too long. Let 'em breathe.

One at a time only.

Ralph

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yeah, well you gotta take 'em out and play 'em once in a while. This one looks like it may have been in the Nashville flood a few years back.

jedzep

Reaction score
I have hundred+ year old barnboard that I make primitive but sturdy hangers out of. Love seeing my old guitars hanging from them.

Wanna' see, and/or buy? PM and I'll try and remember to get back to you.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cases are safe in the hall cabinet, safe and sound! Only one guitar is in there. And one dulcimer. The rest are out in the living room or my bedroom, on stands. Two whole house humidifiers are running overtime to keep things as good as we can here in the desert. Current outside humidity is 17%. And that's only because we've had some storms rolling through. Tomorrow they say it may rain between 3 to 6 and that could, or not happen. Still..... my guitars are out where I can see them and grab them. Plenty of people have different opinions. Mostly, locked up in their cases. I like to see them, and play them. Not the easiest in the desert, but that's my way. Cases are nice but if I can't just grab and play.... they're too much work for me...... :witless:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have several guitars on hangers, typically the low to mid line models. I do wrap each of the hangers in yarn so that's what the guitars rest on. I haven't had a problem yet.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually wish I had the right climate in my house year round to keep the axes out. My guitars stay cased in the winter because my house is too dry for 4-5 months of the year. I've learned that lesson. Now that I don't have kids running around the house, a wife that might want to put a foot into one, or any of that kind of risk I would like to have them out, and I have several really nice floor stands that I use occasionally. I appreciate West's point of view on this and I recall that he set up a beautiful room for it with a bunch of his guitars on stands on the wall. Very nice.

And, yeah... String tension, if I recall correctly, is close to 200 pounds, so concerns about hanging the guitars causing more stress.... that's silly.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....really wonder if a case is the best place, many corroded guitars and with deteriorated binding were stored in cases too long. Let 'em breathe.....

Most cases aren't really air-tight. A little outside air sneaks in there, so they do breathe a little, but very slowly.

I'd love to have all these gorgeous sculptures hanging all around the house, but it's typically very dry here in the Wild West, so they're all in cases with wet sponges in baggies. This has kept them all pristine so far. No corrosion, LOL! I don't leave them cased for 50 years, though. I do let them out to play. :tiger:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...I like to keep 'em handy. :encouragement:

Joe

+1. Guild F-30 in a case, but close. PRS Hollowbody on a stand, very close.

Still..... my guitars are out where I can see them and grab them...

+1. See above.

I actually wish I had the right climate in my house year round to keep the axes out. My guitars stay cased in the winter because my house is too dry for 4-5 months of the year...

We are in the same climate, but I keep the PRS out. I have a "whole house" humidifier running in the winter. I hope this comment doesn't jinx it, but I never had a "humidity" issue with any guitars in the 30 years I've lived in this house.

The PRS is "quieter" unplugged than the F-30 - it actually sounds good unplugged, but the F-30 has much more volume. So it's more "handy" simply because I don't bother anyone when I play it unplugged. Playing the F-30 or the PRS plugged in usually only happens when I have the place to myself. I'm still putting plenty of hours a week on both guitars, though!

walrus

beecee

Reaction score
My "good ones" are almost ready for release from winter hibernation. Even tho I have radiators in the house it still gets dry

In the spring-fall like to keep a 12 and a 6 each in two rooms.....mix 'em up now and then.

The Wechter is in my bedroom for noodling......I'm really loving that little guitar, just an incredible little thing.

The Madeira and Ibanez will go to my camp as soon as the snow recedes enough to get to the place. the lake is still frozen solid (there is a webcam). I left the Madeira there a bit too late last year, got down well below freezing in an unheated cabin. Sounds fine but top got a little warpy looking.

a wife that might want to put a foot into one: Got one

they're all in cases with wet sponges in baggies: Do that too

I do wrap each of the hangers in yarn so that's what the guitars rest on: Great tip