Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have a question on fan fret .

Have a question on fan fret .

Anyone experience with them ?
    I've been wanting one for awhile now .
    I have noticed which I'm hoping someone can explain why there's different types of Fran fret but I can't find an explanation for.

The guitar I'm looking at is a Eastman and it seems the the bridge is in a pretty standard position. The frets are fanned from the nut but convert to a standard alignment at the upper end .

On other guitars even a ibanez has the frets fanned at both ends along with a fanned bridge . I don't no what call the bridge but fanned works lol

Ok so info me away ! 😁
    Guild Co-2
    Guild F55E AB
    Guild F212XLCE

My other acoustics,
    Ben Wilborn Gloria model , Lucky strike , Sequoia (redwood )Top , African Blackwood back and sides .

Blueridge BR180A
    Blueridge BR283A

Some of my worst songs are some of my best music .

Oh please move the thread if it's in the wrong place . Thanks :)

Yet more attempts at intonating the unintonatable guitar...just like microfrets and buzzy feiten...or a piano's tempered tuning...some of the notes some of the time...never all of the notes all of the time.

I found a discussion over on AGF. Post #5 seems to explain what youíre asking about.

Hmm...now Iím headed down the rabbit hole.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=139593

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    I found a discussion over on AGF. Post #5 seems to explain what youíre asking about.

Hmm...now Iím headed down the rabbit hole.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=139593
    Thanks for the link . So there doesn't seem to a set way to do fan frets .

I'm trying to picture finger positions up the neck with the fanned frets . I'm not sure if it's a more natural shaping for the fingers or not . Lol

Anyone here have one ?

Not sure I'm a big fan of that design...

Hello

I looked at that conversation. I felt funny about them saying that the bass string sounds tighter compared to same guitar with normal frets. The bass E-string was about 1/2 inch longer than D or G string - and high E-string was about 1/2 inch shorter. That again made "a noticeable difference" in something. Where do they fetch the "normal" guitar for comparison ? Is there a guitar made in large quantities with normal and fan fretboard being only difference?

Now someone who has studied the effect of small string length variation to sound may explain what is the difference, if we simply choose right gauge strings instead of rebuilding the fretboard.

Like this
    10 - 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46
    vs
    9 - 12 - 17 - 26 - 38 - 50

I just pulled random numbers to demonstrate the idea.

In their talk they refer to piano - but piano has 7 octaves of free strings and no frets.

And then Joni Mitchell had all those 5 George Bensons set with different strings to fit different tunings.

Of the ergonomics I have no opinion.

Please correct me . . . I'll listen and learn.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Gee I don't know - the standard fretboard has worked well for me for several decades - with great intonation.
    "Heat lightning burnt the sky like alcohol." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Dread, I guess what you don't know can't hurt you ;-)

I've always thought fanning the frets has more to do with playing feel than any intonation advantage. I know (slightly) someone who likes fanned frets and have had a go on one. Felt very weird, though I'm told it's great once you adapt.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady