NGD 1964 Guild Starfire IV

Reaction score
Hi although i'm new here, i just like to share with you all. My new and very first Guild electric guitar. After selling my 1975 Gibson 335 last year because of financial things, i was looking for a good vintage semi-acoustic and stumbled upon this great Starfire.

ott89ustk9.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great first post - nice looking guitar! Welcome!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Where are all these killer guitars when I’m looking for a ‘64?

Reaction score
I want to know how the Guild compares to the 335.

Thanks everybody for a warm welcome, i'm starting to get addicted already. Let me tell you how i gravitated to this guitar. The first attraction to this guitar was because of it's similar neck feel. What i liked the most of the early 70-ies 335 was the narrow nut neck, and not too thick a baseball neck. Most seem to hate 'm, but for me it's a match made in heaven. As a matter of fact the neck feels just the same. Narrow nut and medium slim neck. The other thing i noticed immediately was it's compacter build, maybe somewhat shorter scale length. I 'd understand these early starfires have a somewhat different neck construction. To me it feels very comfortable, and i besides don't care much about upper fret accessibility . The 335 always felt a little oversized for me. I wonder how these compare to later build SF. The final plus of this guitar is its airy, more refined sounds. The 335 had not the most powerful pickups but because of that also had a very good jangle impersonation, and string separation with medium gain, almost like p90. The SF however seems more broad spectrum. More low weight, more air , more jangle just more of everything. IMHO these small PU resemble jazzmasters with extra oempfff, without the annoying buzzes.

I also wonder how it sound would change if a Bigsby was added. As a matter of fact i have a Guildsby B7 model here which a purchased a while ago, but i don't dare to put it on. It seems way too long, and i dread the extra screw holes. If i can lay my hands on a Guildsby B6 i would try it. If anyone feels the urge to swap his Guilsby, let me know!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well somebody has to be that guy and address the elephant in the room. After all the accolades are done is anybody going to point out what's missing or changed?

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong but I don't know anything about Starfires, yet...

Missing pickguard and brackets obviously.

At first glance, seeing the tuner buttons, I thought it was a reissue... Are the tuners replaced?

The pickups are wrong and should have dual adjustment screws on the treble side?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Probably due to its neck construction of which i understand the earlier ones have a shorter scale length.

Hello kalimantan

Early Starfire IVs have the same scale length as the later ones. The early ones have the neck set in at the 16th fret, whereas the later ones have the neck joint at the 18th fret for better access to the higher frets. All the parts, bridge and pickups, were moved towards the neck end of the body, but the scale length stayed the same 24-3/4" as the earlier models.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

GSFV

Reaction score
The SF however seems more broad spectrum. More low weight, more air , more jangle just more of everything.

That is exactly how I got my starfire. I pitted it next to a 335, and the starfire just had more.

Sorry you had to sell a guitar, VERY glad you found such a stellar instrument. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Let me tell you how i gravitated to this guitar. The first attraction to this guitar was because of it's similar neck feel. As a matter of fact the neck feels just the same. Narrow nut and medium slim neck. The final plus of this guitar is its airy, more refined sounds. More low weight, more air , more jangle just more of everything.

Welcome to LTG! That's a good looking sunburst '64 Starfire IV. I enjoyed reading your impressions of the feel of the guitar and the tone of the pickups. Enjoy playing your new, vintage Guild axe!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to ask for a while, since the heavyweights are here, this question;

What has better fundamental tone and resonance, the early 16th fret models (my guess) or the later 18th fret version, or is there no perceived difference between models?

I find the earlier "less practical version" more visually appealing than the one where everything's been moved to make the neck stick out a bit more?

There must also be substantial difference in electric tone because of the move?

Are the horns the same throughout the life of the double cutaway models?

Last edited: