Thought(s) for the Day

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The horses are doing pretty good, thank you for asking. We lost one around Christmas and still weepy about it, probably always will be.

Oh man, so sorry, was it the "colick-y" one?
I spent part of this morning killing a snake for the first time. It was a water moccasin that was in the horse pen - horses had already been turned out, I was cleaning up. I used a wooden stick - with a hoe attached to the end of it! I would apologize to all the ecologists who think wildlife should left unharmed and not be bludgeoned to death, but I am not in the least bit sorry. I don't think it's the same one I saw two days ago so the hunt may continue and if there is another one he could well meet the same fate. And I still won't be sorry.
I think the majority of us here would understand the difference between self (or home) defense and wanton killing without regard for consequences.
Besides which, isn't there already a pretty incredible invasive snake species situation down there with Burmese pythons?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I think the majority of us here would understand the difference between self (or home) defense and wanton killing without regard for consequences.
Besides which, isn't there already a pretty incredible invasive snake species situation down there with Burmese pythons?

I think the python problem is way south Florida in the Okeechobee swamplands.

Water moccasins are bad news. Pretty aggressive snakes, so hoe away!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
there is something in this world stronger than the atom bomb...words

bonus thought: LETS GO ISLANDERS!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Artists paint their pictures on canvas; musicians paint theirs on silence.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never hire a man with a mustache or who smokes a pipe....because everytime you tell them to do something they have to light their pipe or comb their mustache first.

Opsimath

Reaction score

Yes, she had colic. Third episode in a year and was treated by the vet for three days straight will little results. His recommendation was surgery, five-figure surgery which most sadly was not an option we could choose. The second option was hospitalization at the vet clinic at four figures a day. Also not realistic. So we did all we could and from time to time thought we saw improvement, but then after a week and a half came a point where it was clear it just wasn't going to turn around and we had to make that dreaded decision. I stayed with her through the end. So she's in Heaven now and I'll have to wait a while before I can see her again.

Excuse me. I think I need a tissue ....

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny. All the stuff I've read and heard over the years of being a smart @ss, you'd think I would be a treasure trove of witty sayins. But, I got nothin'.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"Let the light that shines in you be brighter than the light that shines on you." Dabo Swinney Clemson"s football coach to Tony Bennett Virginia's Basketball coach.

Opsimath

Reaction score
Thank you, Tom. It just goes with the territory. Having animals is wonderful, and I wouldn't be without them, but it means one day I won't have them anymore and I know that going in. I miss her, will likely always miss her, but I give her best friend, our herd boss (she was boss mare), an extra cookie every day when he goes out so that he can share it with her if he sees her. I don't think he does that, though. I think he eats them all himself.