I know I'm entering the danger zone...

guitarslinger

Reaction score
...when asking for opinions. But, a more knowledgeable group I do not know and I need advice. I'm repumbing my pedal boards trying to go from 4 to 3 one of which one will be for my Guild D50. It has K&k pickup and I run through an EQ and delay into a Fishman amp. Would I benefit from an outboard pre-amp in that chain? I like the sound I'm getting but I've heard a lot of comments here about how much better the K&K performs with one. What say all of you?

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
With the disclaimer that sound is very much a personal preference I'm of the opinion the K&K does sound very good as a passive PU, but the addition of a pre-amp will improve it. I've installed over a dozen of these in various guitars. Dreads, OM's, 6 and 12 strings. Parlors, even a uke. My personal favorite from K&K is the system that has a small onboard pre-amp, a volume control and a phase switch. I've also used guitars with just the passive Mini. Many do not like the idea of a battery inside the guitar. I get that, so a outboard pre-amp makes perfect sense. It's not just a volume issue. The signal coming from the guitar is not just hotter with a pre-amp, but to my ears has more clarity and presence. So the guitar sounds fuller even at lower volume levels. I'll also add I've run various guitars with the K&K thru a bunch of different PA's and amps. Passive speakers, powered speakers, various mixers, stick systems a'la Bose or Fishman. The K&K with the pre-amp has always sounded good.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
With the disclaimer that sound is very much a personal preference I'm of the opinion the K&K does sound very good as a passive PU, but the addition of a pre-amp will improve it. I've installed over a dozen of these in various guitars. Dreads, OM's, 6 and 12 strings. Parlors, even a uke. My personal favorite from K&K is the system that has a small onboard pre-amp, a volume control and a phase switch. I've also used guitars with just the passive Mini. Many do not like the idea of a battery inside the guitar. I get that, so a outboard pre-amp makes perfect sense. It's not just a volume issue. The signal coming from the guitar is not just hotter with a pre-amp, but to my ears has more clarity and presence. So the guitar sounds fuller even at lower volume levels. I'll also add I've run various guitars with the K&K thru a bunch of different PA's and amps. Passive speakers, powered speakers, various mixers, stick systems a'la Bose or Fishman. The K&K with the pre-amp has always sounded good.

Do you use the K&K or some other pre-amp. There is an LRBaggs that looks good and comes in a pedal format.

Reaction score
I have K&K pure mini, with volume control (passive) in 4 of my Guilds, and I run them into the K&K Pure Preamp (external Preamp w/ 9v) and then into my Fishman Aura Spectrum D.I. and then into my amp and into the board. Sometimes I don’t even use the amp or the Fishman, but I always use the K&K Preamp. You can fine tune the bass, treble, mids and gain and it corrects any ohm incomparably with other systems. And it sounds magnificent!

Br1ck

Reaction score
Onboard or not, you must run into a device with a 1 meg ohm input impedance. That can be as simple as a passive DI or as complicated as a Grace Felix. If I had one or two guitars, I'd use one of the onboard units from SunnAdio. If I had more, I'd use their Stage 1 DI. Best sounding unit I've heard. Haven't used my RedEye since buying it.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Isn't your EQ really doing the preamp job now? However I would prefer replacing it with an acoustic preamp.

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have K&K Mini pick ups in my '71 F-412 and '89 GF-55. Neither guitars came with any kind of pickups as built. I didn't like the idea of installing an internal pre-amp, so I run both guitars through my "mini stop box rack", the primary item being an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI preamp. It works like a champ. I have run both guitars straight into a PA system, but I didn't like the sound. It was very dry and brittle sounding. The Baggs makes everything sound great.

BTW the rest of the "rack" (actually a "bag") consists of a delay, chorus, and reverb. I originally got this stuff to put behind the GF-55 when it had an under saddle piezo pickup. That pickup needed all the help it could get. The K&K has a much better, warmer sound, and the effects are for a very subtle use. I play a lot of open mics, and drag my "bag of magic boxes" along to make sure I sound my best. I can plug this stuff and know I will sound pretty good no matter how yucky the PA mix is.