Oxnard Guilds at Sam Ash

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Today was the singer in our band's birthday, and we decided to get her a gift certificate. I was determined not to get one from Guitar Center, even though there's on right by my office. I have also been wanting to see what Guilds Sam Ash had in stock, now that some of the Oxnard guitars are making their way into the wild. When I got there, they had quite a few, including this D55 and D40.

40614094643_aaf9a032f8_b.jpg

I took down the D55 first and played it, but honestly, it didn't really do much for me. It wasn't bad, but it was much like the many other D55s I've played from New Hartford; good, but it didn't really blow my hair back, as Charlie likes to say. Probably doesn't help that I generally prefer mahogany and maple guitars, which leads me to the D40.

This was the more expensive "Traditional" model, and as soon as I picked it up, I knew it would be good. Man, this guitar is light, lighter than any of the D40s I've played (or owned) from New Hartford. And as a result, it was extremely resonant, which was what I expected. You could feel the bass rumbling in your belly like a good acoustic guitar should, and I was mightily impressed. I don't know what they did to pare the weight down, but whatever they did worked! Can't say it's better than my Martin D18DC, but then again, it isn't 17 years old either. This one will only get better with time I think.

They also had a P-240 Memoir on the wall, and I couldn't resist.

40614094603_a195ecd1da_b.jpg

While I didn't feel the urge to leave the store with it as I already own a Martin 000-17SM that fills the bill, this is a great $500 guitar for sure. I wouldn't say it's as good as my Martin, but at 1/3 the price it comes pretty close. If you're in the market for a 12 fret slothead, it's worth some serious consideration.

All in all, it's nice to know that there's some great instruments coming out of Oxnard, and I wasn't sure not long ago that I'd ever be able to say that!

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool update - thanks! No review of the new Guild banner? :pride:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, Sandy!!! I figured Sam Ash would continue with Guild, but I hadn't heard. Always liked that place. Bought my first guitar from them in Huntington in 1981! It wasn't a Guild, but I do still have it (and the receipt!).

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Glad to hear it, Sandy!!! I figured Sam Ash would continue with Guild, but I hadn't heard. Always liked that place. Bought my first guitar from them in Huntington in 1981! It wasn't a Guild, but I do still have it (and the receipt!).

It was the Huntington store Charlie, and I think of you every time I go there. What I love about Sam Ash is that the employees there haven't changed in years, and that's the sign of a company that treats their employees well. I used to see Sam Ash before he died pretty regularly at a restaurant that a good friend owned, and he was a very nice man who always remembered me, and never failed to say hello.

I too still have the receipt for my Guild D50, purchased at the Sam Ash way back when it used to be in Hempstead.

4430547464_ef6039b1d9_z.jpg

Got me a free neck reset after 34 years!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was the Huntington store Charlie, and I think of you every time I go there. What I love about Sam Ash is that the employees there haven't changed in years, and that's the sign of a company that treats their employees well. I used to see Sam Ash before he died pretty regularly at a restaurant that a good friend owned, and he was a very nice man who always remembered me, and never failed to say hello.

I too still have the receipt for my Guild D50, purchased at the Sam Ash way back when it used to be in Hempstead.

4430547464_ef6039b1d9_z.jpg

Got me a free neck reset after 34 years!
Outstanding, Sandy. :)

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good news, thanks for the report! Have played several Ox D40s now - every one was damn good.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
We can agree or disagree about how Oxnard does a burst finish vs. NH but I'll put my D 40 from Oxnard up against any other Mahogany Dread regardless of manufacturer. And maybe not just Mahogany either.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My local Sam Ash had the big room humidifier aimed RIGHT at the small selection of Guilds, when I was there last and all the strings were going rusty and dark.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hmm wonder where their sorceing the Sitka tops from ? I know we see grain streaks from time to time but that's two together and I myself wouldn't want that on a 3 grand plus guitar .

Maybe I'm looking to closely . 😑

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
hmm wonder where their sorceing the Sitka tops from ? I know we see grain streaks from time to time but that's two together and I myself wouldn't want that on a 3 grand plus guitar .

Maybe I'm looking to closely . ��

I think it gives 'em extra character.
I think completely white tops are about as exciting as Wonder Bread.
:biggrin-new: