Specs for 1972 F312

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I have a 1972 F312 that I've decided to sell. I bought it from the original owner in 1976. It's in excellent condition and sounds beautiful so I think it will fetch a good price. Anyone who would be interested in this guitar would want to know its specs and something about its history, but I can't seem to find much. Any suggestions for where to find these specs? Also, any suggestions about where is the best place to sell vintage guitars?

Thanks!

Bill

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
welcome to LTG, Bill.

a 1972 F-312 is pretty hard to come by. you may find some serious interest here on this forum. for specs it should be the same as the F-212 of the same year, only 1 significant difference being the F-312 has rosewood back and sides (F-212 is mahogany back and sides). they have a 16-inch lower bout. and in 1972 would have the “mini jumbo” shape, and be made in Westerly, Rhode Island. make sure u are ready to part with her, finding another wouldnt be easy. good luck!

Butch

Reaction score
Definitely interested. Could you pm me or post some pictures? What are you thinking price wise?

bdeclee

Reaction score
Please post pics!!!! I also had a 1972 F312, sadly stolen from me in 1985. It had rosewood back and sides and 16” lower bout, chesterfield headstock...and it was pretty heavy. I know because I carried that thing everywhere, including walking 2 1/2 miles to school with it!

Reaction score
Thanks, this is very helpful!

welcome to LTG, Bill.

a 1972 F-312 is pretty hard to come by. you may find some serious interest here on this forum. for specs it should be the same as the F-212 of the same year, only 1 significant difference being the F-312 has rosewood back and sides (F-212 is mahogany back and sides). they have a 16-inch lower bout. and in 1972 would have the “mini jumbo” shape, and be made in Westerly, Rhode Island. make sure u are ready to part with her, finding another wouldnt be easy. good luck!

Reaction score
I just posted several pics. I'm planning to sell it in the Bay Area where I live as I don't want to take any risks with shipping. Thanks!

Definitely interested. Could you pm me or post some pictures? What are you thinking price wise?

Reaction score
It must have been special to you if you still remember it so fondly all these years later. I've posted several pics. Enjoy!

Please post pics!!!! I also had a 1972 F312, sadly stolen from me in 1985. It had rosewood back and sides and 16” lower bout, chesterfield headstock...and it was pretty heavy. I know because I carried that thing everywhere, including walking 2 1/2 miles to school with it!

bdeclee

Reaction score
Beautiful looking guitar, and brings back very fond memories for me. Thanks for posting the pics!

idealassets

Reaction score

You played you F312 in school? That's kind of cool.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
great photo, Barbara! any chance u remember or know of the serial number? the internet has made the world much smaller, and there are not so many 1972 F-312’s in the first place. where was it stolen, geographically?

bdeclee

Reaction score
great photo, Barbara! any chance u remember or know of the serial number? the internet has made the world much smaller, and there are not so many 1972 F-312’s in the first place. where was it stolen, geographically?

I don’t think I ever knew the serial number, but I believe it was a factory 2nd...there was a number 2 under the serial on the back of the headstock. It was stolen out of my car in the parking garage at Hahnemann Hospital in Philadelphia in 1985. I was an idiot for leaving it, even though I had made a half-hearted effort to cover it from sight.

bdeclee

Reaction score
Barbara, that's awesome! Great picture!

Thanks, Chazmo. It’s a photo from a local newspaper. When I was a teenager, I was asked at the last minute to sub as the entertainment for a “ladies luncheon.” I had no idea what a ladies luncheon was, and I was reluctant to accept, but my mom insisted. All I remember about it was sitting in front of rows of old ladies, playing Joni Mitchell and John Denver tunes while they nodded politely as I sang. In hindsight, those ladies must have all been in their 40s and 50s. Old indeed.

beecee

Reaction score
In hindsight, those ladies must have all been in their 40s and 50s. Old indeed.

funny.....one of my daughters is a year away from 40. Still a little girl to me.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Barbara that picture is wonderful. Yes, those pants! It could have easily graced a 1970’s Guild catalogue.

Last edited: