What about this 1966 Guild D-50(BRW claimed) on Reverb?

gotomsdos

Reaction score
Hi, guys out there !
I'm GASing at Hoboken Guild F/D-50/55 with BRW, best if it's a cut through saddle(appearance for a real vintage ?)
There's a 1966 D-50 on Reverb
https://reverb.com/item/12960531-guild-d-50-bluegrass-special-1966-natural
BRW claimed. Do you think it's really BRW?
And there's description as below:
"The action on this guitar is typical for 1960's Guilds, which is to say that it is slightly high and the saddle is all the way down. The low saddle does not affect the tone of this guitar at all"
What do you think of the words?
Listed ten months ago, still there. not so popular, what's the undesired(or deal breaker) to a buyer?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Dave.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
1966, it would be Braz. It's also needing a neck reset, which you would need to add to the purchase price.
It is stupidly overpriced, IMHO.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
what's the undesired(or deal breaker) to a buyer?
The upside down mounted Truss Rod Cover!

xnl5kkyxchprmalqlzyy.jpg

Just kidding...
Depending on where you are with a neck reset and refret and setup you cound be talking a $4,500-$5,000 guitar in that case and not a lot of people are willing to pay that much for a Guild.

Ralf

Last edited:

383roller

Reaction score
I don't think $3750 is too extreme for the price, it's really clean looking. Assume padding for negotiations.
I don't like the transition of the back of the neck to head.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
The volute was normal design/construction for the time period.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
it's really clean looking.
Look alone is not all...add all the cost for neck reset and so on... "while the action is a little high, it is totally playable. That said, if you are seeking a guitar with very low action, this guitar is not for you."
Ralf

383roller

Reaction score
Look alone is not all...add all the cost for neck reset and so on... "while the action is a little high, it is totally playable. That said, if you are seeking a guitar with very low action, this guitar is not for you."
Ralf

Clean guitars always have substantially more value period, there are many buyers that prove that Time and time again. I think someone looking at this as a serious buyer that can't digest the idea of a neck reset on a vintage guitar to make it right then they belong somewhere else.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Clean guitars always have substantially more value period, there are many buyers that prove that Time and time again. I think someone looking at this as a serious buyer that can't digest the idea of a neck reset on a vintage guitar to make it right then they belong somewhere else.

By any chance are you the seller? If you're not, and you think it's such a great deal, why don't you buy it?

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not to stir the pot or anything but the seller on Reverb that has this one listed has a long history of high asking prices on vintage Guilds that require additional work to be in excellent playing condition. That is not a bad thing as everyone is entitled to ask what they want for their stuff and I understand trying to keep a business running. The fact that it has been listed as long as it has with no buyer shows the high asking price evaluation in the current market. Still it is a nice looking example, Just not the $4200 original asking price nice or even the $3750 asking price nice now that they have reduced it, to me anyways. Now if it was one of the earlier Fan braced 1-3/4" nut width models it would be closer for me but still a bit high with the work needed to make it right. Just an opinion as always.

TX

gilded

Reaction score
By any chance are you the seller? If you're not, and you think it's such a great deal, why don't you buy it?

Sandy, I don't know if he's the seller or not, but a brief look at his text history shows that he is very interested in '60s D-50s, including a '65 that's heavy on the mojo.

Besides, anybody that has an internet moniker of 383roller can't be all bad!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, I don't know if he's the seller or not, but a brief look at his text history shows that he is very interested in '60s D-50s, including a '65 that's heavy on the mojo.

Besides, anybody that has an internet moniker of 383roller can't be all bad!

Agree about the nick Harry, but something about his post smelled of a shill. Of course, I'll admit to being more of a mahogany guy, and have played a few Brazilian rosewood guitars that left me wondering what all the hoopla was about.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I have a history of playing poor examples of 60s Martin D 28s. I just did not get the hype. Then one day I played a very good one. Point being, the Brazilian aspect insures nothing in regards to tone. Ten months is a long time to have a guitar for sale, indicating that it is overpriced.

Butch

Reaction score
Cool guitar, but, for what it’s worth, I would stay away from it, especially, at that price. It’s been professionally set up but the action is high? Well, then it hasn’t been professionally set up. Having a neck reset done is just considered normal maintenance on a guitar of that age. I love Guild guitars but I approach buying a guitar as an investment. A BR Martin of that era is worth around $5K. A BR Guild is not. Especially, needing a neck reset. My question would be, why have they not done a neck reset on it if they are asking top dollar for it?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the often used, "a few scratches that can easily be buffed out!". If they are easily buffed out, why did you not buff them out? Pretty clear this one needs a reset, so at asking price, you might figure about $4500 for the guitar, AND to make it right. Now this ones not for me, but if I were a Guild D50 guy, and found one in Braz? Well, I guess it always boils down to the old saying, "a guitar is worth whatever someone is willing to pay".

West

Cool guitar, but, for what it’s worth, I would stay away from it, especially, at that price. It’s been professionally set up but the action is high? Well, then it hasn’t been professionally set up. Having a neck reset done is just considered normal maintenance on a guitar of that age. I love Guild guitars but I approach buying a guitar as an investment. A BR Martin of that era is worth around $5K. A BR Guild is not. Especially, needing a neck reset. My question would be, why have they not done a neck reset on it if they are asking top dollar for it?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Regarding neck resets, I agree with you. But if the owner/seller took the guitar to a luthier and asked that it be made as good as possible without having the neck reset, then one could say that it had been professionally set up, but the action was (still) high. It happens. Of course, we don't know the back-story, but I think the answer to "Why?" is that they want maximum profit from it.

mike1100

Reaction score
Of course, I'll admit to being more of a mahogany guy, and have played a few Brazilian rosewood guitars that left me wondering what all the hoopla was about.

I have wondered if the Brazilian rosewood mystique is more due to market rarity versus tonal differences. That said, whatever makes folks happy. I'm not immune to marketing and "perceived rarity". I want to know if there are tonal differences between "typical" and "sinker" mahogany, or is it hype.