Guild George Barnes Model

parker_knoll

Reaction score

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I talked with one of George's old students, the guy that taught me how to play guitar & bass. Here's what he said about George's picking style:

"George almost always down-picked but he could definitely alternate-pick and I saw him do it from time to time. He used it more as an "effect" than anything else."

“You get a better sound from the guitar by using only down strokes. Your leverage just isn’t as good when you up-pick. Therefore, I use as many down strokes as possible. I developed a technique of quick picking, using only down-strokes. But sometimes, for very rapid phrasing, I have to use alternating up and down strokes. I also hold the pick in an unusual manner-with my thumb, index, and middle finger. By picking this way, all I do to change the dynamics and volume is tighten or loosen my grip on the pick. I don’t have to pick harder and my wrist remains loose.” George Barnes

Some really great info here: https://gypsyjazzuk.wordpress.com/36-2/ivor-mariants/ivor-george-barnes/

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Replying to myself: "Pickups are mounted on a sound post that runs thru the body of the guitar. Holes for the pickup are bound. "
Somewhere on LTG is a picture of the pickup mounting bracket itself, I think Hans had posted them. Probably also in his book, can't remember right now.
And look at this Carlo Greco model owned by LTG member nmiller, looks familiar, doesn't it?:

P1X8Mxp.jpg

Ralf