Just in case you didn't have enough to worry about

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone had "monkey meat?" The street vendors in Olongapo City, Subic Bay used to sell hibachi grilled skewers called "monkey meat." I asked one vendor if that's really what it was and he said "pork." LOL the sailors were usually so sauced they didn't care what it was.

I have been to several countries where you would be hard pressed to actually identify the meat...maybe that's why I'm such a big fan of shellfish.

Mark WW

Reaction score
In Thailand the street vendors sold "Monkey Balls" - not really what they were but it was a lot of fun seeing t he reaction of newbees from THe World.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have been to several countries where you would be hard pressed to actually identify the meat...maybe that's why I'm such a big fan of shellfish.
Rocky Mountain Oysters?
ab3120a7c284c6da8990b4cc5420e342.jpg

beecee

Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Oysters?
ab3120a7c284c6da8990b4cc5420e342.jpg

I'll try anything once. There is a wonderful pub in Syracuse that has an annual testicle festival, (Rileys). I tried them, really couldn't deal with the texture. Typical order is 2 lbs. I ate one "nugget"

Brought the leftovers to a local office of my company and told everyone they were fried mushrooms. They were gone in 20 minutes.

Yes...I told them....after.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'll try anything once. There is a wonderful pub in Syracuse that has an annual testicle festival, (Rileys). I tried them, really couldn't deal with the texture. Typical order is 2 lbs. I ate one "nugget"

Brought the leftovers to a local office of my company and told everyone they were fried mushrooms. They were gone in 20 minutes.

Yes...I told them....after.
Sure your "trust" level bottomed out but sure you were smiling.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
They had fun with me in Japan the first time I went there on a business trip. Everything was served family style. It was called "What can we get the American to eat?" I kept up with them all night, I even ate candied baby bees, but I drew the line at raw horsemeat cold cuts. I said "NOOOOO Wilbur!" They didn't get it.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A big bag of monkey meat and a plastic bag of mango juice. The only thing I ate outside the wire in the PI. Except for that big monitor lizard in jungle survival school.

No balut, but thanks for asking....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha, I never tried balut either. For those who don't recognize the name, it is a half developed duck or chicken egg baked in a fire, the locals would crack the top of the egg, drink the juice, and chew up the crunchy little embryo. Now you know why we didn't try it.