Ds-240 Memoir

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Anybody try one, yet? Might be the closest I’ll come to an Orpheum Slope Shoulder. I wish the nut was 45mm instead of 43mm.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I doubt anybody was able to try them yet except the few who attended NAMM. Sweetwater just got the first 8 in inventory but they don't show the real guitars on their webpage yet. I don't think it would compare to the Orpheum line in anything other than a similar look from a distance...But hey, they have a great price and are probably pretty nice.
Ralf

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
great price for a slope shoulder guild however. the sound in this video is nice and better than $499.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m only comparing in the sense that they’re both slope dreds with a Guild script logo and available in sunburst. I’m sure that’s where it ends. Thanks for the info, though. The demo sounds pretty good.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I have been waiting for more demos and inventory to land in dealers for a discount but somehow I missed the 1-11/16" nut width. It s***s getting old. Ah checked the P-240 and it has the 1-3/4" nut width. If nothing else this eliminated my gas for the DS-240 but I still want a 12 Fret Orpheum. I just ain't willing to spend that kind of coin. Oh well.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I gotta ask and feel free to take your shots. BUT, I can't really tell much of a difference between a 1 11/16" nut width and one of 1 3/4". Maybe that's because I'm an average or below player but that particular fact would never keep me from buying a guitar that I thought sounded really good.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I gotta ask and feel free to take your shots. BUT, I can't really tell much of a difference between a 1 11/16" nut width and one of 1 3/4". Maybe that's because I'm an average or below player but that particular fact would never keep me from buying a guitar that I thought sounded really good.

yeah, its negligible to me too, but i definitely can feel more thickness in my hand or tightness. i think it is more about finger spacing, fingers have a tad more room between strings. that is where i would notice it most.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We have an M-240 Memoir on the wall in Jacobs Custom Guitars. I've been pretty impressed with it. If the DS is as good it would be a great guitar, especially at that $500 price.

I think these Memoir series guitars have a good amount of Orpheum DNA.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yeah, its negligible to me too, but i definitely can feel more thickness in my hand or tightness. i think it is more about finger spacing, fingers have a tad more room between strings. that is where i would notice it most.

AND finger size itself.
Some guys have fingers as fat as sausages by their own admission, is that their fault?
I figured out a long time ago:
"Chunky is in the hand of the holder."
So to speak.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
AND finger size itself.
Some guys have fingers as fat as sausages by their own admission, is that their fault?
So to speak.

good point Al. finger size.

Mark WW

Reaction score
For years I never really knew what spec was what and a lot of manufacturers did not state the thickness or the width at the nut or it would change without notice. All I knew is my hand would cramp up playing most Fender solid bodies and other guitars that I purchased but then ended up selling because they were uncomfortable to play. I CAN play a 1-11/16" nut width if there is a little chunk back to front but the 1-3/4" or a 1-13/16" FEELS so much more comfortable. I understand why a lot of folks scoff at 1/16" in disbelief but for me it is significant.

PLus it has been years since anyone in Orlando carries Guild or other brands that I am interested in stock to try so I am left with looking at You Tube videos and relying on manufacturer specs and end up buying most of my guitars on line. This DS-240 is an excellent example of the confusion that some of us experience trying to find a guitar we like but knowing it may never be available locally to try. The Guild site NOW states that the nut width is 1-11/16". I do have memory issues but I could swear it originally stated it as 1-3/4" nut width.

But here are some of the dealers stated specs from their web sites which they MUST have gotten from Guild and now Guild has changed?

Sweetwater
Nut Width: 1.75"

Pro Audio Star
Nut Width : 1 11/16″ (43mm)

ZZounds and AMS (They state both 1-3/4 and 1-11/16")
- Nut Width: 1 3/4" (43mm)
- Replacement Nut: Guild Nut Westerly NuBone 1 11/16" (43mm)

Chicago Music Exchange
24 ¾” Scale Length with 1 ¾” nut width

Sam Ash
Nut Width 1-11/16"

Elderly
Nut Width: 1 3/4″ (43mm)

See - this kind of misinformation drives me crazy. Look I appreciate that 1/16" SHOULD not be a big difference and I have owned many guitars that played and sounded way better than the sum of their parts and became keepers but I would like to be able to rely on an accurate description so as not to have to buy a guitar and then turn around and return it because of discomfort that an accurate spec MIGHT have helped avoid.

I may still buy one and if the neck is not comfortable return it but that just isn't a lot of fun.
the sum of their

Last edited:

Mark WW

Reaction score
We have an M-240 Memoir on the wall in Jacobs Custom Guitars. I've been pretty impressed with it. If the DS is as good it would be a great guitar, especially at that $500 price.

Do you mean P-240? I love 000's. The P-240 is a 00 I believe. The Guild video is not impressive. Does it sound a lot fuller in person?

Last edited:

Mark WW

Reaction score
I sent Guild/Cordoba a follow up message /question showing the specs from their dealers websites. Hopefully we can get some clarification for us fat fingered folk!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Super great to hear that, Dave!!! Well, I may have to hit up a store that has one one of these days.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Guild site NOW states that the nut width is 1-11/16". I do have memory issues but I could swear it originally stated it as 1-3/4" nut width.
It's quite possible, they have posted errors and fixed 'em without making any "announcements" about it, and suspect what's going on with Sweetwater for example is that they posted what they got originally and haven't updated their own site yet.
It's surprisingly labor-intensive to edit webpages, assuming they're even aware of it and it is an error.
Also, 1-11/16 had been the primary nut width on Guild dreads ever since the first ones, with only occasional variations from that, so suspect it really is 1-11/16.
Unless it's not.
:glee:
I do get what you mean about being able to play a 1-1/16 as long as the neck's got some depth.
It's so significant it makes my D40 feel like it's got higher action than the D25 even though they're both the same, although now as I've gotten older it feels easier to play scales on, higher up the 'board.

Mark WW

Reaction score
It's quite possible, they have posted errors and fixed 'em without making any "announcements" about it, and suspect what's going on with Sweetwater for example is that they posted what they got originally and haven't updated their own site yet.
It's surprisingly labor-intensive to edit webpages, assuming they're even aware of it and it is an error.
Also, 1-11/16 had been the primary nut width on Guild dreads ever since the first ones, with only occasional variations from that, so suspect it really is 1-11/16.
Unless it's not.
I do get what you mean about being able to play a 1-1/16 as long as the neck's got some depth.
It's so significant it makes my D40 feel like it's got higher action than the D25 even though they're both the same, although now as I've gotten older it feels easier to play scales on, higher up the 'board.

That has been a frustration for many guitar buyers for quite some time and it isn't just Guild. I blame it on the Interweb. Nobody uses proofreaders anymore. Pick up any newspaper and the spelling and grammar mistakes are horrific. Read a news article or a Web Blog - same thing. If you dig a little deeper Texting may have also impacted our current state of poorly written words. Fast response with abbreviated made up words. Oh well this is now our world.

Hey guys back to the nut width mystery. I fell much better now. I thought I had missed the nut width dimensions and was chalking it up once again to my memory dilemma. My memory is fine. It was Guilds mistake. Whew-I can cancel my appointment with the Dementia Unit! Here is their response to my query which was copied from my above post:

Hey Mark!
Happy to help. Yes, when we initially launched this guitar we had listed the incorrect nut width of 1 3/4". When we realized the error, we corrected it to the true nut width which is 1 11/16".

Thanks for the heads up. We'll reach out to the dealers to make sure they get the spec corrected.

Have a great day!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Do you mean P-240? I love 000's. The P-240 is a 00 I believe. The Guild video is not impressive. Does it sound a lot fuller in person?

Yes, P-240 is what I should have typed. It is about a 00 size. It does sound quite good for a new, smaller body guitar.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Yes, P-240 is what I should have typed. It is about a 00 size. It does sound quite good for a new, smaller body guitar.

Dave thanks for the input. Sam Ash shows they "might" have limited inventory, so I hope to get by there this week to check it out.

F312

Reaction score
AND finger size itself.
So to speak.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Ralph
Aha! I see what you did there !
But like Beecee said once:
I wish my pinky was half as long as yours.
Fun stuff
I was a practitioner of body-sculpting before it was a "thing".
I can say no more.
tumblr_pdcmzjkDzf1x363moo1_500.gif

Last edited: