Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took a whiile but I got there!

Took a whiile but I got there!

I've been a fan of flatwounds on my Fender basses and archtop gtrs forever. But for some reason I'd been resistant to putting them on on my my '67 Starfire. I've had this bass about 10 yrs now, and finally decided to try a set of D'Addario XL 220 flats on it. Whoa baby....I feel like a doofus for waiting this long! Loved the bass before, but now....it's just amazing! Sarah, my duo partner in the video, plays bass on a few tunes and she's never really bonded w this bass when I bring it to our gigs, preffering instead to play one of my Fenders. It's now her favorite bass to play!

here's some video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=340375066594727
    1954 X150 Savoy
    1967 Starfire II bass
    1966 Starfire II gtr
    1975 D50
    1997 Bluesbird

Good stuff Mark! I've always used TI Flats on Greenie, as it seems to be the consensus amongst the other Starfire Bass players I know locally, and from this board. On the advice of Mellowgerman, I've just bought a set of La Bella 760FS flats, and am going to replace the OEM strings on the GST M85II, and I'll se how it goes. I've heard they suit Starfires well too.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Thanks! I've wanted to try a set of TI's but their price and unusual gauges have put me off. I do use TI flats on my '66 Starfire II gtr and they're wionderful. Let us know how you like those LaBellas. I've read they can be a little stiff.
    1954 X150 Savoy
    1967 Starfire II bass
    1966 Starfire II gtr
    1975 D50
    1997 Bluesbird

Quote Originally Posted by planetguy View Post
    Thanks! I've wanted to try a set of TI's but their price and unusual gauges have put me off. I do use TI flats on my '66 Starfire II gtr and they're wionderful. Let us know how you like those LaBellas. I've read they can be a little stiff.
    Interestingly enough, the main rub I hear against TI Flats is that they aren't stiff enough! I have a set of D'Addario Chrome flats on my fretless Pilot, and I think they sound great, at least with the EMGs on that bass I was tempted to try them on the M85II, but they don't come in short scale, at least that I can find.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Rotosound flats on my '71 P Bass, they sounded to bright at first, deadened nicely over time. '63 SG bass has the same flats that were on it when I got it, they were probably 20 years old then...

I've got flats on my Tele now, very different, harmonic overtones are almost nonexistent, you get used to it pretty quickly.

" I was tempted to try them on the M85II, but they don't come in short scale, at least that I can find."

If your M85 is equipped with a "harp" tailpiece, you'll want medium, not short-scale Chromes. That's what I have on my Starfire basses.

Thomastiks are my fave bass string, ever.

What's the deal on the La Bellas? Are they supposed to be the 'James Jamerson sound' strings? I think he used La Bellas, but that was 40-50 years ago, too. Lots of string companies have 'reissue' strings, but they don't sound or feel the same as the old ones.
    Like the diff' between modern-day Pyramid strings and the old ones.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp,

I use medium scale LaBellas on my fretless M-85 (the Alem-85) - perfect fit! I love them. The "Jamerson" set (no longer called that, now they're called Original 1954) is super-high tension, but the regular flats are more reasonable, though higher tension than TIs for sure. I personally prefer higher tension, though I do have TIs on a long-scale fretless bass and they work for that.

The current generation Pyramid flats are in between. Though probably closer to the TIs. Probably because I never played those LaBellas. But the Pyramids felt like they had more tension than TIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Flats View Post
    " I was tempted to try them on the M85II, but they don't come in short scale, at least that I can find."

If your M85 is equipped with a "harp" tailpiece, you'll want medium, not short-scale Chromes. That's what I have on my Starfire basses.
    The La Bellas that I bought are the medium scale, and I measured carefully! Here's the package.

I'll have to look for some Chromes in medium scale, but I don't need them now. Looking froward to giving the La Bellas a try.
    Sandy