How to nail it down, with better nails

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend used to say "Slipperier than snot on a brass doorknob." Of course then there's the guitar product "Gorilla Snot," haven't seen that for awhile though.

I've finally decided to not grow my fingernails out, too much hassle and upkeep, then I also found that my index finger nail was interfering with my flatpicking.

So, back to building up the callouses on my picking thumb and fingers...

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
True enough, you can't beat fingertips for consistent sound, you can still use the back of the nails to clawhammer ;-)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
one dude i saw grew his thumb nail out pretty far, and i mentioned it could be a weapon.

F312

Reaction score
Never came across the idea of "oiling 'em" before but I might just give it a try.[/QUOTE]

...then, what oil to use, coconut? Olive oil?

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

...then, what oil to use, coconut? Olive oil?

Ralph

Well I liked the garlic oil idea but I kept realizing that since I'm a "clean hands" freak I'd be washing my hands with soap and water to get any excess off my fingertips which kinda defeats the purpose, no?
Otherwise maybe like a re-purposed Sally Hansen brush and walnut oil which is s'posed to dry pretty quickly.

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
Got this from a site on Zither Banjo "Care of the nails involves the regular use of "emery boards" - the nails must never be cut - (Oakley would not touch is right-hand nails with a steel file or any scissors!). Warm olive oil, dabbed on the nails and round the cuticle "last thing at night" will help keep them flexible and promote smoothness. If preferred, apply the oil un-warmed, keeping a small bottle in the bathroom cupboard. It takes only a few seconds to dab the oil on the right-hand fingernails":smile-new:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thank you Prince, that sounds like great advice ;-)

Olive, coconut, etc.

My kid just gave me this nail applicator full of Argan oil, which is supposed to be great for hair and nails, may even grow hair...

I make my own salves, picked it up from wife, real easy.

Coconut oil, Cayenne, turmeric (highly anti-inflammatory), heat it, add a little bit of beeswax to help it stay solid at room temps. There's no limit to what you can put in these salves, CBD's would be another common item.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Got this from a site on Zither Banjo "Care of the nails involves the regular use of "emery boards" - the nails must never be cut
I do trim 'em like GA, but discovered only high-quality clippers are worth it, the cheap ones never cut cleanly, and yes, still need to finish off with a board to get smooth edges that won't chip/tear easily.
Or in my case, have a nice metal board in a manicure kit with even a "coarse" and "fine" side. Nice thing about it is that it can be "cleaned" and has lasted for years.
PS, a slight veer, but did folks know that Sally Hansen's regular clear polish is actually NCL and perfect for "drop-filling" small dings in finish?
The brush is even just the right size, and that's why I still keep the last bottle I got.
The D25 in particular has benefited over the years.