A New Toy

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you do the same thing. I eagerly await each morning about 8;30 a.m. the latest Stupid Deal of the Day from Musician's Friend. Often times it's cheap crap I have no desire to own or something I have no need for but once in a while you can pick up some really fine deals. The one I saw last Fri. or Sat. was for a Vox Adio Air BS modeling amp. It says it's for Bass guitar and some pf the effects really are like slap bass etc. But I like trying new stuff and the price was right so I got it. It came today and it's quite cool. It likely weighs 3 to 5 # or so and easily help and lifted with one hand. It has a tuner and can plug into a computer or tablet etc. and has more capability than I'll ever use. It has two 3" 8 ohm speakers.

I don't play plugged in but something this small and portable makes it a lot easier to do./ Plus it can run on batteries or regular plug in and makes it easy to take out on the deck or to a friends back yard or whatever. I plugged in one of my acoustics and it really sounds sweet. (even with me playing) Amazingly, there is plenty of volume. I play fairly often in my country Church. It likely can't seat more than 100 to 150 people but this will work great there. I typically use my Bose L 1 system and may still use that set up. IMHO, you just can't beat that Bose sound. Anyway, I can't wait to try that new little Vox modeling amp out.

Over and out

F312

Reaction score
I saw that and the price "was" right, however, I can't have everything. I do have a Yamaha THR10 which is similar in size and weight and it rocks inside, and on the patio.

Ralph

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It would be exciting to be Richard's mail deliverer--especially--with all these guitars and amps coming in! Probably thinks Richard is the Quality Engineer and under contract for several guitar companies to test and write reports on his findings.

Grassdog

Reaction score
I typically use my Bose L 1 system and may still use that set up. IMHO, you just can't beat that Bose sound. Anyway, I can't wait to try that new little Vox modeling amp out.

Over and out

I've found this to be the case, as well. those L1's are just EQ'd so warm sounding and easy to set up. I'm using the L1 for most of my solo acoustic gigs lately, although if it's a larger venue I bring out my Genz Benz Shenandoah 150 W. Truth is, the Shenandoah probably beats the L1 in clarity and sheer performance.

Anyway, nice find on the Vox modeling amp and those are a lot of fun to play around with.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've found this to be the case, as well. those L1's are just EQ'd so warm sounding and easy to set up. I'm using the L1 for most of my solo acoustic gigs lately, although if it's a larger venue I bring out my Genz Benz Shenandoah 150 W. Truth is, the Shenandoah probably beats the L1 in clarity and sheer performance.

Anyway, nice find on the Vox modeling amp and those are a lot of fun to play around with.

Sounds like we have a lot of the same gear. I have the Genz Benz Shenandoah as well. Another great piece of gear. Lightweight and clear as a bell.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like we have a lot of the same gear. I have the Genz Benz Shenandoah as well. Another great piece of gear. Lightweight and clear as a bell.

Agreed on the Genz Benz stuff, at least pre-Fender anyway. I have a Shenandoah 60 that's a terrific little amp.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, I think I said two 3" speakers, 8 ohms each
ADIO_Gallery_800x600-01.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
FWIW my gigging bass amp is 2x5". The small speakers do a much better job than I would have imagined. I suspect that if I played with a drummer with a full kit and/or a guitarist with a Marshall stack I'd need something else but that isn't happening much these days :)