SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, the wood used for the back is a bit of a mystery. I truly don't know definitively what it is, I only know the guitar sounds really sweet and full. To be clear and in the sellers defense, his listing said:

"Solid Grenadillo Back and Sides?" with the question mark. And, when I spoke with him on the phone he was up front in saying he didn't know what it was for sure (it was a music store and he'd taken it in trade) but his best guess was Grenadillo.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Richard, *whatever* it is made of, that is a beautiful, unique guitar. It's a little strange to see the big, G-shielded 12-string headstock in 12-fret configuration, but it's certainly not bad in any way. As for the bridge positioning and that look... All 12-fretters look that way. My Orpheum 12 is similar, though it's not a dread.

Best of luck with this beastie!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
@Al: Have a look what CITES tells: They have Granadillo as "Platymiscium spp.", not Dalbergia.
In fact they're both in the fabacea (pea) family which includes both genus dalbergia and the platymiscium:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platymiscium:
"Platymiscium is a genus of legume in the Fabaceae family, and was recently assigned to the informal monophyletic Pterocarpus clade within the Dalbergieae."

Anyway, the names Granadillo or Grenadillo or Grenadill various versions seems to be mixed up wildly depending on Spanish, Portugese, English or German.
Ralf
Right, not saying it can't be the platymiscium, just seemed more likely to be the D. melanoxylon given its known history of usage in '74.
It was historically very popular for woodwind instrument construction.
There's also a listing for D. Granadillo on the CITES list, specifically named "Granadillo"
https://www.fws.gov/international/plants/current-cites-listings-of-tree-species.html

And yes the spelling of name thing is a confusing factor but you made me dig deeper on the Platymiscium and now I see that in fact P.pleiostachyum is an equally if not even more viable candidate:
From here:
"P. pleiostachyum: Granadillo that carries the reputation of being the best quality in the Platymiscium genus. Unfortunately, this reputation as also caused pleiostachyum to be severely exploited over the last few decades and consequently is now listed as endangered in the IUCN Redlist of Threatened Species including being CITES Appendix 2 Restricted. Due to this CITES status, we do not sale or ship this species outside the United States. If you’re looking for the absolute best in granadillo material, then this is it. Originally indigenous to Costa Rica, it is now virtually extinct in this country due to illegal logging and exploitation. It can still be found in El Salvador and Nicaragua and legally sourced from these countries....
Granadillo responds very well to turning and emits a caramel like scent when worked. It is also an excellent alternative to cocobolo for those who do not wish to deal with the excessive oil and potential allergic reactions that true rosewoods sometimes induce. Typical straight grain patterns with some irregularity..
Tone Qualities:
In South America, it is highly regarded as the best tonewood choice for marimba and xylophone bones and is often referenced as “La Madera Que Canta” (“wood that sings”). Granadillo has been said to have a ringing, bright tap tone and is gaining popularity amongst American instrument makers."
In fact given my earlier humorous reference to that guitar looking like a mariachi instrument, that reference to marimba usage seems pretty relevant!
Also we know Guild had connections for Honduran mahogany so perhaps they got wind of this stuff through the same sources?
Whatever it is, since it appears to be something other than the traditional EIR or Braz, or cocobolo, I just see it as evidence that Guild seemed to be testing out alternatives to the cut-off supply of Brazilian rosewood at the time.
It would be an interesting footnote in Vol 2 of the Guild Guitar book.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would think a 12 fret with the normal shift of the bridge down, to keep the scale would really be GOOD on a 12 string.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll be hanging out in RODGERS CITY, in June, but I doubt my wife will want to make a side trip, just so I can see another guitar.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, it's an open invitation is you should change your mind.

Hey Rich your close to JOOM our boss at TTM . I have no idea why I'm telling you lol but hey if I'm ever back up there I'll let ya know , gives you time to escape . Lol

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
How about Hans next time he's in country?
It'd give 'im a chance to check out the wood on that puppy.
:friendly_wink:

Most all of you (not all at one time-I couldn't handle that because I'm basically a hermit) are welcome to stop in if you'd like to or ever get the opportunity.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Most all of you (not all at one time-I couldn't handle that because I'm basically a hermit) are welcome to stop in if you'd like to or ever get the opportunity.

if i ever get up there, i am going to play all of your Guild acoustics. :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Richard, I really like your style. Although we may go out a few (every other) days a week and be comfortable, we're kinda hermits as well. So I totally understand that. Sometimes people say, "Hey I'd like to stop by!!" Uhmmmm, HERE? At our home? Don't get me wrong I do love my friends but very few people get invited by. So I totally understand. That being said, our fellow David (Dadaist) from So. Cal. usually has conventions here for The Lucy Foundation (super good organization for pets and animals and, etc.) and except for last year, when all our schedules were cahotic and it couldn't happen, manage to get together at least once. Maybe more. Of course, I lucked out and David is a super nice guy and a great guitar player. We play different stuff and so it's a ..... it's interesting time. But mostly it's good to see a friend from here and we've formed a bond. What a nice guy. Great that his wife allows him to travel and do his job but it would be even better if she came too.

I guess my point is, regardless of what your relationship on the forum is....you just never know how it would work out in person. And being a bit of a hermit myself, I understand the point of view.

Oh yeah..... remember Chad? Gary? Crap, that might not even be the right name. From near Reno or Virgina City. He showed up and we met out and had a BLAST drinking and eating!! Such a nice guy. Not active at all lately. He had a D30 but we never played guitars. Anyway, David will be here in August for SuperZoo and I can't wait.

Like a mushroom who buys all the drinks at the bar.... "A FUNGI to be with!!''

Also, of course, Steffan (who's not so active on the forum and I helped buy a super nice D25 here in Vegas) who's a super nice guy and we had a really fun tourist day on the Strip.

I don't like tons of plans and tons of people, but we've certainly got some good ones on this forum. Take it as it comes...... :encouragement:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've always been a bit slow. I don't get the point.
I think Jumbo liked those 4 models out of your signature the best! Especially as you said you were never a big fan of 12 strings but you own those killer 12 strings! So he simply copied them from your signature and posted the smiley below!
Ralf