Dan Tyminski Amyone??????

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Although I am an admitted dinosaur when it comes to computers and technology in general, I will say I really like being able to see and hear various artists playing tunes on U Tube. I was searching for some different material and came across his version of "Flee As A Bird". I'd never heard of him before but really did enjoy his rendition.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
he played the acoustic runs in Where Brother For Art Thou soundtrack. i dont know if he did all of them, but definitely some of them. i know he played guitar for krouse for a while...

i am a man of constant sorrow, i seen trouble all my days...that be him

and that really sweet, soulful blues drone song when they sitting around campfire at night.

idealassets

Reaction score
I was amazed at how much roots music this movie had in it when it first appeared at the theaters. Was also not a bad movie. I now have the CD and many of these songs are played at various folk music events that I have been to or played in. Albeit no one seems to be up to the task of playing any of the Dan Tyminski songs. They're probably not too difficult, just in alternate tunings, and then of course a player must also have a pretty good sense of rhythm to do these.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was amazed at how much roots music this movie had in it when it first appeared at the theaters. Was also not a bad movie. I now have the CD and many of these songs are played at various folk music events that I have been to or played in. Albeit no one seems to be up to the task of playing any of the Dan Tyminski songs. They're probably not too difficult, just in alternate tunings, and then of course a player must also have a pretty good sense of rhythm to do these.

he is in dropped g often

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Big Dan's got a great voice. We saw he and Alison Krause in concert shortly after they made the movie.

"Down From The Mountain" is a documentary of the concert they held at the Ryman featuring all the bands and artists in the movie including Emmylou, Dr. Ralph Stanley, Dan Tyminski, and probably the last footage of John Hartford playing and singing.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd say the live double album of Alison Krauss and Union Station is a must have classic and prominently features Dan Tyminski.

I saw them at the Fox in Detroit...what a great concert.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A name new to me. Seriously good stuff, Richard, thanks for posting!

One listen to "Flee As A Bird" had me on the 'Bay ordering his "Southern Gothic" CD.

I do love this place. I cannot count the number of musicians, songs, authors and books I have been introduced to in this forum. Oh yeah, I've learned a bit about Guild guitars here too. :eek:range:

CA-35

Reaction score
One of my favorite albums is Alison Krauss and Union Station's "Live" album featuring Dan Tyminski and Ron Block on acoustics and Jerry Douglas on Dobro. Dan has a great voice as well as being an extremely accomplished guitar player. Love this one.......Alison on the Fiddle.............lead vocals by Dan.............Ron on Banjo............and Jerry is a beast on the Dobro.

"The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn" enjoy...........

CA-35

Reaction score
And another just for good measure...............Alison Krauss and Union Station "Choctaw Hayride" featuring Jerry Douglas on the Dobro. Enjoy..............

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dan's one of the best flat pickers alive, and his recent solo album "Tyminski" is fabulous.