Is Guitar Center really an official Guild retailer?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think this is all good news. Thanks for following up with Cordoba, Steve... Any contact is good contact.

It sounds like you could go into a GC and ask them to order something from Oxnard for you. That wasn't true (I think) in the New Hartford days.

Pitt, those are good thoughts. I imagine that Cordoba taking on the Guild brand -- with all its history -- must be a big challenge for their distribution mechanism. But, it does sound to me like some good folks are at the helm. It's important to Guild that good decisions get made. Time will tell.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Tangentially I saw a picture from them on Facebook recently of several tastefully arranged Gibson, double cutaway, hollow body electrics (i.e. Starfire clones) that were available and in stock. What amused me is that there were at least four clearly identifiable Guild acoustics in the background and the bottom half of a Guild banner was visible.
Love it.
Conserve precious marketing dollars by photo-bombing Gibson's GC ads.

Not only that, but I wouldn't ask them to get something in just to try it.
I have a similar philosophy about not asking to play high-end pieces I have absolutely no intention of buying, but it occurs to me that this may be their best way to hedge their bets on competing with internet sales, namely taking the risk that the sale may not actually occur and they get stuck with one more piece of slow-moving inventory.

What I would do (I think. IDK. I'm no guitar manufacturer!) Is offer stores a "Premiere Guild Dealer" option. To those stores, I would offer two types of guitars: Guitars for the show room, and guitars for the stock room. The showroom guitars would come with a 90 day return guarantee. (Or some timeframe...) If you didn't move them and wanted to return them, send them back, we pay for freight. No hassle. If you ended up selling them, they would have a lower profit margin than the stock guitars. This encourages, one for show, one for go. But if you wanted to stock Guilds and see what would happen, you would have limited risk. The returns I took back from dealers, I would work out a deal with MF or Sweetwater to sell for us under the "slightly used" category, and give them a chance to grab attention with special deals.
Those were traditional ways to help a dealer balance and control their inventory and I'm sure still exist in some form in some markets today, although don't know about the music retailing business.
But for Guild specifically I wonder if their (Oxnard) production capacity is able to back up such policies if they should see a sizable boost in orders?
One thing for sure has been found to be true time and again: Failing to deliver on promises even for things like new products under development alienates more customers than simply not making any promises in the first place.
I suspect Guild has folks with the experience to consider these kinds of traditional retail methods, but I'm betting they don't yet have the capacity to make these kinds of offers (on MIA Product) to dealers.
And people tend to be brand loyal. "I'm a Taylor guy," "I've always liked Martins," whatever. You need to work to get people to try your models out.
"Boy Howdy"
(violent agreement)
:tranquillity:

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
It sounds like you could go into a GC and ask them to order something from Oxnard for you. That wasn't true (I think) in the New Hartford days.

Maybe I should have an honest conversation with my local GC and see if they're willing to order one in, knowing there is no guarantee I will buy it. I would really like to get my hands on a bluesbird.

But, it does sound to me like some good folks are at the helm. It's important to Guild that good decisions get made. Time will tell.

That fact that we can even talk about it in hushed tones of "maybe" is a huge improvement!

Love it.
Conserve precious marketing dollars by photo-bombing Gibson's GC ads.

Ha! Too funny. BTW, I was on the Old Opry YouTube channel today... Nashville seems to embrace Guild more than some other places. Of course, that's not too new. Because back in the day, the guys who couldn't afford the Gibson on their way up would often select Guild. I wonder if it might be that Guild will make come-backs in their traditional places first as people come to trust the new owners?

I have a similar philosophy about not asking to play high-end pieces I have absolutely no intention of buying, but it occurs to me that this may be their best way to hedge their bets on competing with internet sales, namely taking the risk that the sale may not actually occur and they get stuck with one more piece of slow-moving inventory.

Or... maybe I can actually help their over-all numbers by slowly forcing them to buy Guilds, model by model, until the cirtical mass makes Guild seem like a sudden up-and-comer and the new musicians just start buying Guilds left and right... sounds like a Frank Capra movie, doesn't it?

But for Guild specifically I wonder if their (Oxnard) production capacity is able to back up such policies if they should see a sizable boost in orders?

IDK. Anyone have any numbers on how many of each models they are making of the MIA Guilds?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would not worry about asking. If I tell the dealer I'd like to try one but am not sure I would buy, I'm being honest. They can say OK or they can ask for a deposit or they can say No. At the very least they know there is interest and the next person who asks, might get a Yes. If you get a No you can always ask if they know someone who has or could get one in stock. They might decide to change their mind.

My dealer in the New Hartford days had some honest discussion with me about his price from Guild. He paid their price and owned the instrument. His capital was tied up until he sold it. He did not get any rebates or cash back for ordering a certain number. So he would not put up capital to stock something on speculation unless there was a chance he could sell it within a couple months.

New Hartford production was believed to be approaching 5000 instruments per year when it was shut down. I think Westerly peaked at about 25,000 in one year, but that included electrics and acoustics. I'd guess Oxnard has not made it to 5,000 per year yet.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would not worry about asking. If I tell the dealer I'd like to try one but am not sure I would buy, I'm being honest. They can say OK or they can ask for a deposit or they can say No. At the very least they know there is interest and the next person who asks, might get a Yes. If you get a No you can always ask if they know someone who has or could get one in stock. They might decide to change their mind.
My dealer in the New Hartford days had some honest discussion with me about his price from Guild. He paid their price and owned the instrument. His capital was tied up until he sold it. He did not get any rebates or cash back for ordering a certain number. So he would not put up capital to stock something on speculation unless there was a chance he could sell it within a couple months.
New Hartford production was believed to be approaching 5000 instruments per year when it was shut down. I think Westerly peaked at about 25,000 in one year, but that included electrics and acoustics. I'd guess Oxnard has not made it to 5,000 per year yet.

For comparison, since Guild was always the "little guy", I get this reference when I google "How many guitars does X make in a year?" (note dated '09):

"Martin makes 85,000 guitars a year.
Taylor makes 35,000 guitars a year.
Gibson makes 12,000 acoustic guitars in montana a year.
Santa Cruz makes about 800 guitars a year.
McPherson makes about 250 guitars per year.
Does anyone know some more numbers from companies? Like Breedlove, Ovation, Guild, Larrivee, Seagull, Collings, Froggy Bottom, etc.... "

I see Taylor cited at 40k MIA pieces/year by '14; that same article from an industry organ cites Martin at about 800,000 pieces from all sources between '04 and '14 or about 80k/ year, consistent with the previous informal reference, and like Oxnard and New Hartford, Gibson doesn't publish its numbers which are after all proprietary info.
But I stumbled across this article while looking:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...-struggling-and-how-to-revive-them-2018-05-04
It brings up some points that contradict speculation made on this forum over the last 3 to 5 years about at least one of the reasons for Fender's and the music industry's financial woes in general:
Contrary to the popular perception, demand for and sales of guitars is UP!:

"The guitar, however, appears to be in better shape than the guitar maker. While in the past decade, sales of the electric guitar have fallen from 1.5 million to 1 million, according to the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) a total of 2.6 million guitars, including both acoustic and electric guitars, were sold in the U.S. last year,(2017, my note) 300,000 more than in 2009."

NOW: Let's be incredibly optimistic and assume that Oxnard has somehow achieved a production of 7500 pieces per year in only a couple of years, 50% more than New Hartford's best estimate after almost 5 years....
In a market that's devouring at least 1.3 million acoustics per year (since they're outnumbering electric sales).
Let's assume they divvy 'em up according to sales hot spots (which necessity is obviated by merchants like Sweetwater but relevant for GC's), lets say 10 states account for 50% of sales, so each of those 10 get 375 guitars, and the rest of 'em get roughly 90 apiece.
One should start counting oneself lucky to lay hands on an Oxnard piece at all.
I'm now quite certain they're selling every single one they can deliver without need for recourse to methods the volume producers may use to maintain their sales volumes or increase brand awareness.
It might even explain why some pieces got shipped with questionable finishes, it might well be the retailers themselves said "Send it anyway!"
And goes a long way towards understanding why they're so hard to find in stock, and why even ordering one could result in a long wait as was seen on some of the first Oxnard models.
Of course if they simply brought back the F47 and opened up a new building to make 'em they could easily double their sales in a year.
:glee:

Last edited:

stig

Reaction score
Just as a public service announcement, Manchester Music Mill in Manchester, NH is a Guild dealer and carries both acoustics and electrics. In fact, I bought my T-Bird from them because they had picked up a whole bunch of factory B-stocks, and I got mine for $500, brand new. I can't find the alleged finish flaw.
Anyway, if you're in the area, they're probably worth a call or a look at their website. A lot of their stock is NOT on the site, so it never hurts to contact them.
They're actually a great shop all the way around, with a massive inventory.

PittPastor

Reaction score
One should start counting oneself lucky to lay hands on an Oxnard piece at all.
I'm now quite certain they're selling every single one they can deliver without need for recourse to methods the volume producers may use to maintain their sales volumes or increase brand awareness.

Yep. I've never seen an Oxnard Guild in the wild.

OTOH, I have seen, held, and played many Westerly Guilds. Hmmmm...

Also, btw, hats off to Taylor for being able to move that many guitars that are consistent. I'm not a huge "Taylor sound" guy, but I have never heard anyone ever tell me of a badly made Taylor. (maybe I just don't get out enough, IDK.) That must be quite a QC job.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Just as a public service announcement, Manchester Music Mill in Manchester, NH is a Guild dealer and carries both acoustics and electrics. In fact, I bought my T-Bird from them because they had picked up a whole bunch of factory B-stocks, and I got mine for $500, brand new. I can't find the alleged finish flaw.
Anyway, if you're in the area, they're probably worth a call or a look at their website. A lot of their stock is NOT on the site, so it never hurts to contact them.
They're actually a great shop all the way around, with a massive inventory.

Dang! You're not kidding! 3 pages of Guilds on their web page. Including a burst Artist Award. Impressive!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yep. I've never seen an Oxnard Guild in the wild.

OTOH, I have seen, held, and played many Westerly Guilds. Hmmmm...

Also, btw, hats off to Taylor for being able to move that many guitars that are consistent. I'm not a huge "Taylor sound" guy, but I have never heard anyone ever tell me of a badly made Taylor. (maybe I just don't get out enough, IDK.) That must be quite a QC job.

Taylor was one of (if not the) first guys to use NC machining to get as much consistency from piece to piece as possible.
It seems like he's always believed consistent tone could be achieved through consistent construction (and materials, to the degree that's possible with something like wood) and has dedicated most of his career to that philosophy, but I could be wrong.
I haven't spent nearly as much time looking at their history as I have into Guild, but it does seem to be a recurring theme.