Healthy recipes

jcwu

Reaction score
Here's another, it's turned several sworn cauliflower-haters around:

Take cauliflowers, break/cut it down to florets, drizzle aplenty with olive oil on a baking pan, sprinkle liberally with pepper and judiciously with salt, bake (convection bake is even better) at 350 until the ends are browned/almost blackened. Melts in your mouth, the sugars in the cauliflowers having caramelized gives it a nice sweet-ish taste.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like Alton Browns salmon recipe. Stupid simple too. I just leave out the salt.

Wild Caught Salmon + lemon zest+ pepper+brown sugar. Slide under the broiler until it reaches the right temp ( You put in a digital thermometer, right ? ) My really picky kid even liked it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...ckeye-salmon-with-citrus-glaze-recipe-1945718

It may be of not help calorie wize. Just use less brown sugar to taste. To check for those pin bones that might be in the salmon, lay it over a large bowl, so the salmon is quite curved and feel for the tips of bones. Remove with CLEAN needle nosed pliers of some nice grabber thingy. I really prefer the taste and texture of the wild caught and not long frozen stuff. It comes out flakey but firm. Like a good piece of cod in fish and chips.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool recipes above, but guys, he's trying to AVOID salt.

The sneaky part of salt is that things from animals have salt in them. Milk ( 35mg sodium per half cup I think ) , cheese, ( in the curing process too ) , eggs ( about 65mg sodium ), 3 Oz of beef is 54mg of sodium. ( who only eats 3oz ? )

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a good thing I love fresh veggies, now learning to love them without salt.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's another, it's turned several sworn cauliflower-haters around:

Take cauliflowers, break/cut it down to florets, drizzle aplenty with olive oil on a baking pan, sprinkle liberally with pepper and judiciously with salt, bake (convection bake is even better) at 350 until the ends are browned/almost blackened. Melts in your mouth, the sugars in the cauliflowers having caramelized gives it a nice sweet-ish taste.

A variation of this is to drizzle an entire prepped head of cauliflower with olive oil, pepper, a little salt, and pepper flakes, place on sheet pan in 400-degree oven and bake until a knife penetrates with little resistance. A couple of minutes under the broiler will give you some nice browned spots. Carve and serve from the whole head at table.

Impressed one of my nephews: "Cool! It looks like cooked brain!".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing I love fresh veggies, now learning to love them without salt.
Aren't you the guy who tells us what he's doing with his heirloom tomatoes every year?
Here's another way to make use of all that good stuff:
Tabouleh:
https://www.themediterraneandish.com/tabouli-salad/#tasty-recipes-10582

In fact that whole site's got a lot of great ideas, and "the Mediterranean Diet" is supposed to be one of the most heart-healthy on the planet.
https://www.themediterraneandish.com/
:friendly_wink:

crank

Reaction score
I make stir fry at least once a week. Lots of fresh veggies and some chicken or shrimp or scallops or sometimes pork.

I don't use any soy sauce - too much salt. I use a lot of ginger (we buy pickled sushi ginger at a local Korean market), turmeric, sometimes cumin, garlic powder, black pepper.

They key is to put different veggies in at different times so they are all cooked at the same time.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I grow Juliet tomatoes every year - in good years this might be a weekend's yield from my eight plants for a weekend at the height of the season:

aqk4TXNm.jpg

I am not a fan of anything Martha Stewart EXCEPT for her Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce.

I make a batch of this every week during the summer and eat as a side dish, over pasta as main dish, or if I'm making pizza in the backyard with my Weber kettle grill, on my version of Margherita pizza.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love that baked cauliflower recipe; we do Buffalo style cauliflower soaked in hot sauce, but LOTS of salt in most hot sauce, including my favorite, Franks. I'm gonna have to try some new baked cauliflower coatings with low salt ingredients.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love that baked cauliflower recipe; we do Buffalo style cauliflower soaked in hot sauce, but LOTS of salt in most hot sauce, including my favorite, Franks. I'm gonna have to try some new baked cauliflower coatings with low salt ingredients.

Various combinations of hot, smoked, and sweet paprika work well. I'm partial to Spanish pimenton.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I friend told me he has a good Tiki Masala recipe that doesn't have salt. I'll post it, when I get it from him.