Healthy recipes

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd love to see some of your favorite healthy recipes made with fresh food!

I just made pulled pork for my grandkids' birthday party. 9 lb. of boneless pork shouder done in the instant pot (pressure cooker.) Still took 2 hours. Sauteed some thick bacon in the bottom of the pot, then added 2 pork shoulders rubbed with spices and stuffed with whole garlic cloves. The only salt is in the bacon. Tender and juicy, to die for. I will eat it as is, no bread and no bbq sauce because of my diet.

I also made a black bean salsa - 1 can black beans drained, 1 can Rotel no salt, 1/2 c chopped red onion, 1/2 squeezed fresh lime, coarse ground black pepper, a dash of salt.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fresh Carrots a'la Bugs Bunny ?

jcwu

Reaction score
I take zucchinis and squash, cube them, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle generously with pepper, add a few dashes of salt, and bake until tender and browned. Makes for a nice vegetable dish.

Your pork shoulder sounds amazing.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
1/3rd cup dry oatmeal
1 cup water
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
3 Splendas
Mix oatmeal and water then heat in microwave 1:05. After microwaved, add peanut butter and Splenda - stir well and enjoy. My breakfast at least 300 mornings a year.

beecee

Reaction score
Make sure you rinse the beans ...thye are loaded with salt. try frsh tomatoes instead but cut up and roast in oven for 30 mintes at 400.

Like broccoli? again, roast in oven for 30 or so at 400. Heck any veggie, a little olive oil and pepper, roast at 400. Brussel sprouts, carrots, onions etc.

Careful on the pork. High in sodium...(sorry). A lot of it has been soaked in a salty brine since it has been bred with lower fat content, make sure it is minimally processed.

Celery too, lots of it...relatively speaking.

I'll kick some up later but shop the outside circle of the supermarket

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Soak beans overnight, 3:1 water/beans.

You can salt them while soaking, makes for creamier beans supposedly, but since you're supposed to dump the water out and use fresh water, could be a waste of salt. You don't have to dump the water out and cook with fresh, I don't always, doesn't make much difference as to whether you might go through some "adjustment" as your body gets used to eating more beans.

Pintos, Black, Red Kidney, White Lima, Garbanzos, the drill is the same with all, soak overnight and cook til tender.

Pintos are amazing with any kind of Chilis, I use Himalayan Pink Salt (makes everything taste amazing), black pepper, paprika, cumin, lots of garlic.

Black beans, just salt and pepper. You can use them in Nachos, yum.

Red Kidney, great for anything, my grandkid eats them by the handful... nice in salads, on tacos.

White Lima, get a ham hock, or if you can't find one, fry some bacon (only bacon without nitrates/nitrates like Hempler's or it's NOT healthy), then add it to the beans. With this one, add onions.

Garbanzos, boil em with salt and pepper. You can eat them as is, put them in salad, make hummus.

Your beans should be organic so you don't eat Roundup and pesticides, and besides, they treat beans with mercury to keep bugs off of them, no thx.

The bacteria in your tummy outnumber your cells 10:1. If they're not happy, you're not happy.

Grow your own food, buy local food, stop eating poison.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Glad you asked. Not sure if this actually was a thing, I heard about it, that was good enough for me. Didn't research it is what I'm saying, but I did now and this;

It's definitely a thing, Bayer Dipdust and other wonderful Bayer products with 2-4% nitro phenol mercury. Keeps bugs off the seed so they can grow you a crop of beans.

Never had any trouble with ours in jars.

Any food/chili lover who eats homegrown pinto beans would be blown away. It's like spuds, if you think the ones from the store taste good, you'd go wild for homegrown potatoes, same goes for eggs, same goes for meat.

You can play guitar for your garden crops, especially Classical supposedly ;-)

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think they banned the use of any mercury compounds as seed fungicide treatment in the 1970s.

beecee

Reaction score
I'm sorry Dred, I thought you were on a low sodium diet!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like they did ban it, could be an urban legend by now. All the same, too many chemicals in our food, way too many... and ultimately in our environment.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sorry Dred, I thought you were on a low sodium diet!

I am - 2,000 mg/day. The pork shoulder was fresh, no salt injected. Minimal salt in the black beans, the meal was well within my target range for sodium. I'm counting, and I'm finding that 2G max salt takes more discipline than simply "reducing" my salt intake.

Salt can be insidious, because it's in almost everything. Frozen meats like chicken breasts, etc. are often injected with saline. Of course all processed meats and other processed foods have lots of salt. I can have some of this stuff, but I need to know exactly how much sodium I'm getting at each meal.

Thanks for the recipes, keep 'em coming. If they have added salt I will probably not salt or use a salt substitute.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am - 2,000 mg/day. The pork shoulder was fresh, no salt injected. Minimal salt in the black beans, the meal was well within my target range for sodium. I'm counting, and I'm finding that 2G max salt takes more discipline than simply "reducing" my salt intake.

Salt can be insidious, because it's in almost everything. Frozen meats like chicken breasts, etc. are often injected with saline. Of course all processed meats and other processed foods have lots of salt. I can have some of this stuff, but I need to know exactly how much sodium I'm getting at each meal.

Thanks for the recipes, keep 'em coming. If they have added salt I will probably not salt or use a salt substitute.

Sounds like a lot of math, good for the aging brain....

I figure just about everybody's here's aging, gracefully of course.

I get these pork roasts from this lady down the road, old variety called Large Black from Devon Cornwall originally, she has to tell you that because it has a stronger flavor. Not cheap, you gotta pay $8 + a pound for these roasts.

It's the most wholesome product she's got because all the sausage that gets processed has all kinds of who knows what (spice mix).

Anyway, I throw in the pressure cooker for about two hours with no water but a couple onions, garlic, hot peppers, etc and some tomato sauce (optional) will help break it down too.

When you're done, all that stuff is just a paste at the bottom, translation, about to burn.

The pulled pork is out of this world, and just gets better over the next three days.

Same exact recipe for beef roasts, and they can take just as long to cook.

I usually only cook these for serious company, like family.

Sad thing is the meat isn't right until you have the right amount of salt, and that can be a lot.

I can't imagine life without salt...

F312

Reaction score
My dad said pouring a beer over and in meats, (ham, corned beef, ribs etc. takes the salt out. I like to think it works.

Ralph

dougdnh

Reaction score
One of my favorite quick meals - salmon cakes. Mix 1 pouch or can of wild salmon with an egg, 1/4 cup mayo, some chopped scallions, some chopped red pepper, 1cup breadcrumbs (or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup instant potato flakes), tbsp lemon juice, dash of garlic powder, dash of turmeric, dash of salt, dash of black pepper, dash of cayenne pepper. Fry in olive oil till both sides are nicely browned. Serve with a sauce made up of 1/2 mayo, 1/2 salsa. Have a side of quinoa or brown rice, and a veggie. Great meal!

Last edited: