Good Thing for Ebay Buyer Protection

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hmmmm…… I just couldn't resist at least giving this a try. I'm sure in 7 days or so I'll be filing a claim to get my money back but I had to give it a shot. I guess we'll see if the old adage "if it's too good to be true then...…." From China, $20 shipping etc. etc. Maybe he missed a decimal point or something. Plus zero feedback seller. So, yes this is likely to fall apart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gu...m41fd99a7f8:g:mhAAAOSw8X9cleBN&frcectupt=true

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard:
Maybe, just because it is a beautiful day in TN, but I think you are going to get the best deal in the first quarter of 2019.
Keep us posted!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Absolutely worth a shot. Curious to hear what happens.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe he missed a decimal point or something. Plus zero feedback seller. So, yes this is likely to fall apart.

It's a red flag special! Let me count the ways. But as you say, why not give it a try?

I bought something from China once. After a while I wrote to say "Hey, where's my item?" The response was, basically, "Oh sorry. Here's your money back." I hope your experience is more productive, Richard!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It's a red flag special! Let me count the ways. But as you say, why not give it a try?

I bought something from China once. After a while I wrote to say "Hey, where's my item?" The response was, basically, "Oh sorry. Here's your money back." I hope your experience is more productive, Richard!

Well, there are many things I wish Ebay did differently. But, I gotta give 'em props for dispute resolution. It's far too often in favor of the buyer vs. the seller but since this time I'm a buyer, YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Ha!

There's one born every minute, includng me! I "bought" a D25CH, also for $79.00 + $20.00 shipping from China, early last week, just on the "off chance." EBay deleted the ad after I BIN, so I can't include a link, and sent me an email saying it was a questionable ad and advising me how to apply for a refund.

Funny thing is, I just got a tracking number from the seller -- curious what they'll actually ship, if anything.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey, I think somebody stole my guitar!!!!! Damn their eyes!!!

Yup, It sold yesterday out of Brooklyn from a seller with 0 feedback as well for $450. Gotta watch out for these scams, There was one that involved Guild Starfire II bass guitars that was listed daily on Ebay for over a year. I would contact Ebay right now and let them know what is going on so you can get your refund process started ASAP. Here is the link showing the 2 identical listings for the guitar you just bought.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Guild+D16M&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Wishing you the best in getting your cash back.

TX

idealassets

Reaction score
Yes, ebay protection is much better than in years past.

I dare say the strangest ever for me was a too good to be true deal from Germany. The seller had >400 feedbacks at 100% positive. The item came through customs but was not posted in my PO Box as ready to pick up. When we tracked it the mail was in the back of the post office with a "postal exception" noted to it, and was going to be returned back to Germany. They would not pick it up or let me look at it to see if I felt it was OK for what it should have been. When I last checked on the tracking it was held up for weeks back at customs in New York as "under investigation".

The postal clerks here clammed up with me and would not comment on the nature of the problem. To get my refund from ebay I had no written proof of any kind other than to quote exactly what I was told at my post office, which matched the mysterious postal tracking record.

I hope this never happens again since really, it was quite a let down. I did make mention to the postal clerks that the ebay sale seemed odd from the start due to the underselling of the item on ebay.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yup, It sold yesterday out of Brooklyn from a seller with 0 feedback as well for $450. Gotta watch out for these scams, There was one that involved Guild Starfire II bass guitars that was listed daily on Ebay for over a year. I would contact Ebay right now and let them know what is going on so you can get your refund process started ASAP. Here is the link showing the 2 identical listings for the guitar you just bought.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Guild+D16M&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

TX

Well, although Ebay has their issues, one thing you never have to worry about is getting your money refunded in a situation like this. I did however, talk to Ebay earlier today and gave them a heads up so all is well in Ebay Land.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They won't ship anything.

Look around the internet, my guess is you'll find that ad somewhere, was probably a Craigslist ad.

No offense to the OP but P.T Barnum was right ;-)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

TX

TX, I remember that (multiple) listing for the Starfire II Bass, because it was owned by a friend of mine, and even had a picture of the receipt form Fixit when he did some work on it. Turned up in listings from Montreal, and a few other places IIRC, and they were usually deleted pretty quickly.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If they do ship “something” take video of you opening the package. I do this for everthing that cost more than I wish to lose from eBay, Amazon, Reverb, etc.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just to be clear here to all. This is absolutely not a big surprise to me. Any person with half a brain could look at the Ebay listing BIN price + $20 for shipping from Cgina for cryin' out loud and know it was at the very least suspect. I absolutely did know that but there was/is zero risk here. Ebay will bend over backwards to make sure a scam etc. doesn't get overlooked or is buried somewhere. They just don't want that bad press, vis and unwanted scrutiny. They don't call Ebay America's biggest fence for nothing.

So, to be clear, am I sometimes a bit too trusting??? Guilty as charged but I'll take that over cynicism and being afraid to ever do something because there may be a risk each and every day.

I am a trusting person but contrary to apparently public opinion, I am not stupid. At least I don't consider me so.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just to be clear here to all. This is absolutely not a big surprise to me. Any person with half a brain could look at the Ebay listing BIN price + $20 for shipping from Cgina for cryin' out loud and know it was at the very least suspect. I absolutely did know that but there was/is zero risk here. Ebay will bend over backwards to make sure a scam etc. doesn't get overlooked or is buried somewhere. They just don't want that bad press, vis and unwanted scrutiny. They don't call Ebay America's biggest fence for nothing.

So, to be clear, am I sometimes a bit too trusting??? Guilty as charged but I'll take that over cynicism and being afraid to ever do something because there may be a risk each and every day.

I am a trusting person but contrary to apparently public opinion, I am not stupid. At least I don't consider me so.
Well sad Richard!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, although Ebay has their issues, one thing you never have to worry about is getting your money refunded in a situation like this. I did however, talk to Ebay earlier today and gave them a heads up so all is well in Ebay Land.

Good to hear Richard! I figured you went into this with your backside already covered, LOL. I remember awhile back there was another situation here with a forum member whose friend had purchased a Guild GSR Starfire VI that was supposedly an Employee build on Ebay from a scammer. The ad looked legit and had the photos and all. I think the purchase price was around $1200-$1600, can't remember for sure. Anyways the scammer actually shipped them a piece of paper and had gone as far as sending them a tracking number for it instead of shipping the guitar so it would appear to Ebay that the item was actually shipped. Didn't find out how this one turned out but I hope they got there money back. Was the first time I had heard of someone actually shipping something to fool the Ebay system instead of shipping the item purchased. All kinds of scams out there nowadays and it almost makes you not want to buy in the first place. Like you said though, Ebay always has your back which is a very good thing in today's day in age.

TX

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about "zero risk".

What they want is your CC and PPal info, I'd be watching out for strange purchases. I made a "too good to be true" purchase like this years ago, and it instantly got my PPal account shutdown with an inability to use it for several days until some security stuff got sorted out.

Moral of the story for me is don't play with hackers.

There's some dark forces behind all that scamming.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, for me as foreigner, just reading this text "Selling my vintage 1986 Guild acoustic guitar. Just replaced the strings and did a complete setup as well. Comes with vintage case. Will do trade if it’s worth it. Serious inquires only." made it very clear that this was no Chinese person selling that guitar (no foreigner would write like that) but clearly an American and from the nature of that it was most probably a Craigslist add. So the location China and that text would have been the red flag already. Many such scams in Germany as well. I enquired about a special Custom Shop Fender locally in the past and the seller suddenly answered he is an Italian cook and had to urgently return to Italy and I just should send him the money and he would send the guitar to me...No thanks.
Ralf

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Clearly an American ad", yes (were his feet in the pics anywhere? ;-), and most eBay ads don't say "I'll do a trade". You can't say that in your eBay ads, unless you like them shutting down your ads and sending snippy messages like "don't do this again or else...".

Ralf, is this CITES thing real? Have you tried getting vintage guitars, how bad is it?

Last edited: