What can I except from a vintage Starfire?

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I really want a Starfire, have been wanting one for years, even when I didn't even know it yet.

Fast rewind to about 1993, I'm doing a huge (and dumb) trade with a buddy of mine a couple counties over, he had a flametop...

Traded a '62 P Bass that had been stripped but 100% original in beat up OHSC, a '65 SG Jr, 100% original P90 nastiness, and a '79 4 bolt Strat hardtail with "Deep Purple Metallic" paint done by yours truly, only took about ten tries to get it right... I got the flametop.

He had a Red Starfire in the living room, I'd seen it before the last time I visited him, a 1968. I played it, like it but it wasn't on my radar. I think he wanted $650 for it?

For some reason I never forgot that guitar. I still think about it... I held it, I played, I liked it, I left it.

I finally found the 335 Dot (bucket list guitar) of my dreams some years back (translation, I'm bored with it), and it plays and sounds amazing, I just want a Guild.

What can I except in terms of playability, sustain, etc, from a vintage Starfire. What years are the best years. The single cuts are deeper bodied and more like a ES175 derivative? How thick are the thick and thin ones?

Do the p'ups rock out like a PAF, anywhere close?

I won't put other p'ups in it.

What about the bridge/tailpiece arrangement vs Gibson?

Or, the Bigsby option, I kinda like that idea anyway.

What about action, fretboards and frets, common nut widths? Are they comparable to the Gibson neck/fretboard for wailing leads, or is just not that kind of a guitar?

How heavy are they?

TIA for sharing any knowledge on these cool guitars.

Last edited:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Reading through GAD’s blog posts on Starfires will answer most of your questions, as well as increasing your GAS to a fever pitch.
My exposure to SF’s is exactly 1, my ‘97 SF4. It is a fabulous guitar in every way. It feels like it was custom made for me.
The SD-1 PU’s in this edition are really, really good. You can read about them in GAD’s blog. My SF is maple; if I come across another ‘97 in mahogany at a good price, I’ll swoop on it.
My only quibble is the PU switch location; it’s a little awkward. I prefer either the 335 or the Les Paul locations. Certainly not a deal breaker, though.
Good luck in your quest.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Lots of answers here: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2019/03/13/1966-guild-starfire-iii/

The '90s/'00s are thicker and come in maple. The '60s and NS models are thinner and mahogany (don't know if they ever made a maple one)

I have a hunch OP is talking SF 4-6s, rather than 1-3s. Context and all...

Necks might be narrower than Gibson, particularly up the fretboard, unless you're comparing to early-mid '70s 335s. Both small and large Guild humbuckers are pretty bright and articulate. I'm usually more of a single coil guy and they're both pretty close to my favorite humbuckers. Build quality is fine. They can be a little hefty, especially w/ a Bigsby. Um, what else?

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thx ;-) Yeah nothing newer than '76 or '77 for me, it's a numerological or illogical thing... I tend to veer towards things from the early 70's, maybe because they're [probably] cheaper.

They did make em in Maple in fact, in certain colors, like Green.

Anybody here have early ones?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Anti-hums & HB-1s both have nice high-end sparkle, even a bit of jangle, along with midrange oomph. In this respect they're not unlike PAFs (which tend to sound more like Tele bridge pickups than they do most other HBs) but with less snarl and more prrrrr to their sound.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thx ;-) Yeah nothing newer than '76 or '77 for me, it's a numerological or illogical thing... I tend to veer towards things from the early 70's, maybe because they're [probably] cheaper.

They did make em in Maple in fact, in certain colors, like Green.

Anybody here have early ones?

We need to know which model you're talking about.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Regarding the Starfire IV there is one other thing to consider regarding early models. The 1963 to 1966 versions had a neck joint with the body at the 16th fret (S/N EL 800 still had it there) and in between 800 and 830 during 1966 it changed to the 18th fret (S/N EL 830 for instance was already 18th fret) so one had access to higher frets. This changes also where the pickups sit on the body.
Both pictures are random from the internet for illustration: Compare the bridge and bridge pickup position to the bass side f-holes.

t8nnnxcd8swnihqmwwoz.jpg
yxhrtn4uurqwl2ithzw6.jpg

Ralf

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
If you're used to a 16-fretter, the 18-fretters kinda "lean to the left*" a bit. Not unlike playing a Jazzmaster after playing a Tele.

-Dave-

*Or to the right if you're a lefty. ;)

Hobbesickles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got a '74 Starfire VI with a bigsby and all gold hardware. It is a rarer mahogany body with a maple neck and ebony fret board. It's a great guitar! I like the HB-1 pickups a lot, and yes, they can definitely rock.

6y9MSDC.jpg

LdjWuX6.jpg

uzy2vVm.jpg

0xVyKW1.jpg

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Very nice photos! That's a beautiful guitar! :encouragement:

I like the way the grain of the mahogany is enhanced by the color of the finish.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dang that's NICE!

What's the extra knob over by the p'up switch, a varitone type thing, phase switch?

What's it like having the switch in that spot?

That's a roller bridge?

Now I see where Ibanez picked up their pickup adjustment screw set up, definitely not from Gibson...

Actually, now I see where Ibanez got the shape for their earlier 335 copies.

These came with Grovers?

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's the extra knob over by the p'up switch, a varitone type thing, phase switch?
Master volume knob! Simply another potentiometer to adjust the volume of both pickups simultaniously. Starfire V and VI had them and after 1973/74 Starfire IV as well.

That's a roller bridge?
Yes. You can see it at Hans Moust's webpage: http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/parts_detail.php?id=93

These came with Grovers?
Yes. Starfire V and VI did.

Ralf

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For those about to watch ;-)

Can you imagine if Malcolm had played a Guild instead of a White Falcon?

Bon he is not. No one came close really, Page?

Crazy thing is it sounds a lot like the Gretsch.

It's hard to be Malcolm and Angus at the same time.

It sounds dead on through the chords, on the leads, it's much rubberier than an SG, quite audible towards the end of the lead, very cool.

That note at the end, is that the "Kerrang!" of Brit magazine fame?

Last edited: