5 Hours of Music from 1970

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This Saturday WXPN features 5 hours of music from 1970 in their 50/50 program of 50 years of music in 50 weeks. This week DJ'd by long-time former World Cafe host and beloved Philly DJ, David Dye.

Hell of a year in music: 4,000 albums and 5,700 singles were released in the US. End of The Beatles, start of Aerosmith and Horslips. Top hits included "Venus" by Shocking Blue (memorably used in Philly in a STD campaign), and "Lola" by The Kinks.

Streaming this Saturday online (and over the air) from 12 noon to 5 pm EDT.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"I'm Your Captain"-Grand Funk Railroad
"25 or 6 to 4"-Chicago
Deja Vu-Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Live at Leeds-the Who
"Immigrant Song"-Led Zeppelin
"Question"-Moody Blues
"Instant Karma"-John Lennon
"Ride Captain Ride"-Blues Image
("Venus" slotted right in between those 2, seems fitting somehow. :smile-new:)
"Tighter,Tighter"-Alive and Kicking
"Mississippi Queen"-Mountain
"Psychedelic Shack" AND "Ball of Confusion"-The Temptations
"Evil Ways"-Santana
"Spirit in the Sky"-Norman Greenbaum
"Vehicle"-Ides of March
"Get Ready"-Rare Earth
"House of the Rising Sun"_Frijid Pink
"No Time"-Guess Who
"Are You Ready"-Pacific Gas and Electric
You can tell where my tastes lay as a high school freshman (grade 9 in my district)
Then there was "Hey There Lonely Girl" by Eddie Holman, whom I was sure had graduated from the school of castrati, and of course the Jackson 5, the bane of my AM yet for whose "ABC" I've developed a curious affection as I've aged, and any number of other "pop hits" from a year when AM radio still reflected the American melting pot:
"Ma Belle Ami"-the Tee Set
OK enough teasing.
:smile-new:

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"I'm Your Captain"-Grand Funk Railroad
"25 or 6 to 4"-Chicago
"Deja Vu"-Crosby Stills Nash & Young
"Live at Leeds"-the Who
"Immigrant Song"-Led Zeppelin
"Question"-Moody Blues
"Instant Karma"-John Lennon
"Ride Captain Ride"-Blues Image
("Venus" slotted right in between those 2, seems fitting somehow. :smile-new:)
"Tighter,Tighter"-Alive and Kicking
"Mississippi Queen"-Mountain
"Psychedelic Shack" AND "Ball of Confusion"-The Temptations
"Evil Ways"-Santana
"Spirit in the Sky"-Norman Greenbaum
"Vehicle"-Ides of March
"Get Ready"-Rare Earth
"House of the Rising Sun"_Frijid Pink
"No Time"-Guess Who
"Are You Ready"-Pacific Gas and Electric
You can tell where my tastes lay as a high school freshman (grade 9 in my district)
Then there was "Hey There Lonely Girl" by Eddie Holman, whom I was sure had graduated from the school of castrati, and of course the Jackson 5, the bane of my AM yet for whose "ABC" I've developed a curious affection as I've aged, and any number of other "pop hits" from a year when AM radio still reflected the American melting pot:
"Ma Belle Ami"-the Tee Set
OK enough teasing.
:smile-new:

What you just typed there is a dream songlist.

Unreal how good music used to be...

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A little early for the 50yr anniversary?

You'd think they'd be doing 1969.

50 years guys..

They're covering the last 50 years in music over the 50 weeks that started on 01/05/19. Every Saturday is a different year - last week it was 1990 (meh). I haven't located a list of what year is covered when, but I am looking.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What you just typed there is a dream songlist.

Unreal how good music used to be...

And that was just from the Billboard Hot 100...which basically was all AM
Underground FM was still in its infancy and the stuff rarely crossed over, sometimes simply because it was too long, like:
"I'm Losing You"-Rare Earth
"Lucky Man"-ELP (crossed over)
"Nature's Way" and "Mr. Skin"-Spirit
"Cinnamon Girl"- Neil Young
Santana's Abraxas was released with epic "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts / "Blackmagic Woman" medley; and speaking of "Black Magic Woman":
Fleetwood Mac's Kiln House gave us "Jewel-Eyed Judy",
John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band gave us "Working Class Hero", "God" , and "Isolation".
Woodstock had been released so a fair number of tunes from that album were getting play on both sides of the radio:
I actually heard Country Joe and the Fish's "Rock and Soul Music" and Arlo Guthrie's "Comin' into Los Angeles" for the first time on my local safe-as-milk AM station.....once.
:glee:
Canned Heat's "Goin' Up the Country" crossed over which gave 'em mass recognition for "Let's Get Together" later in the year;
Layla was released very late in the year but Clapton's solo debut gave us "After Midnight" and "Let it Rain" (although not as a single for 2 years);
Band of Gypsys was released and left me scratching my 14-year old head.
"Gimme Shelter" from Let it Bleed was released late enough (December 5) in '69 that it might as well have been '70, especially since it garnered tons of recognition from its association with the debacle of Altamont, the movie of which was released in December of '70....
and which many said documented the death of the '60's.
Given that Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, and the Beatles all died in '70 as well, it does seem like the sad truth.
At least Steven Stills gave us "Love the One You're With"; perhaps a fitting epitaph for the decade.

PS: Would you believe I also have a chart for every one of the tunes mentioned on the first list except for "Vehicle", "Lonely Girl" and "Ma Belle Ami"?
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I deliberately avoided all the singer/songwriter hits simply because at the time I couldn't stand the stuff, figured folks who love it would take up the flag.
:friendly_wink:

That works perfectly for me, too!

walrus

Grassdog

Reaction score
Neil's After The Gold Rush album, The Guess Who's American Woman album, CSNY's "Ohio" single. Three Dog Night seemingly all over the charts. And the start of Monday Night Football.