Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 5 Hours of Music from 1970

  1. #1
    Senior Member gjmalcyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Posts
    1,920

    5 Hours of Music from 1970

    This Saturday WXPN features 5 hours of music from 1970 in their 50/50 program of 50 years of music in 50 weeks. This week DJ'd by long-time former World Cafe host and beloved Philly DJ, David Dye.

    Hell of a year in music: 4,000 albums and 5,700 singles were released in the US. End of The Beatles, start of Aerosmith and Horslips. Top hits included "Venus" by Shocking Blue (memorably used in Philly in a STD campaign), and "Lola" by The Kinks.

    Streaming this Saturday online (and over the air) from 12 noon to 5 pm EDT.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - a nephew's)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, Qvart) FOR SALE
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, Neal) FOR SALE
    '94 D-6 FOR SALE
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R (ex-Killdeer43, Jeffcoop,) FOR SALE
    GAD-30 (ex-Killdeer43, Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger) FOR SALE
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought

  2. #2
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    26,013
    "I'm Your Captain"-Grand Funk Railroad
    "25 or 6 to 4"-Chicago
    Deja Vu-Crosby Stills Nash & Young
    Live at Leeds-the Who
    "Immigrant Song"-Led Zeppelin
    "Question"-Moody Blues
    "Instant Karma"-John Lennon
    "Ride Captain Ride"-Blues Image
    ("Venus" slotted right in between those 2, seems fitting somehow. )
    "Tighter,Tighter"-Alive and Kicking
    "Mississippi Queen"-Mountain
    "Psychedelic Shack" AND "Ball of Confusion"-The Temptations
    "Evil Ways"-Santana
    "Spirit in the Sky"-Norman Greenbaum
    "Vehicle"-Ides of March
    "Get Ready"-Rare Earth
    "House of the Rising Sun"_Frijid Pink
    "No Time"-Guess Who
    "Are You Ready"-Pacific Gas and Electric
    You can tell where my tastes lay as a high school freshman (grade 9 in my district)
    Then there was "Hey There Lonely Girl" by Eddie Holman, whom I was sure had graduated from the school of castrati, and of course the Jackson 5, the bane of my AM yet for whose "ABC" I've developed a curious affection as I've aged, and any number of other "pop hits" from a year when AM radio still reflected the American melting pot:
    "Ma Belle Ami"-the Tee Set
    OK enough teasing.
    Last edited by adorshki; 03-21-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: #'s 3 & 4 are actually albums
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Guildedagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The Evergreen State
    Posts
    909
    A little early for the 50yr anniversary?

    You'd think they'd be doing 1969.

    50 years guys..

  4. #4
    Senior Member Guildedagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The Evergreen State
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    "I'm Your Captain"-Grand Funk Railroad
    "25 or 6 to 4"-Chicago
    "Deja Vu"-Crosby Stills Nash & Young
    "Live at Leeds"-the Who
    "Immigrant Song"-Led Zeppelin
    "Question"-Moody Blues
    "Instant Karma"-John Lennon
    "Ride Captain Ride"-Blues Image
    ("Venus" slotted right in between those 2, seems fitting somehow. )
    "Tighter,Tighter"-Alive and Kicking
    "Mississippi Queen"-Mountain
    "Psychedelic Shack" AND "Ball of Confusion"-The Temptations
    "Evil Ways"-Santana
    "Spirit in the Sky"-Norman Greenbaum
    "Vehicle"-Ides of March
    "Get Ready"-Rare Earth
    "House of the Rising Sun"_Frijid Pink
    "No Time"-Guess Who
    "Are You Ready"-Pacific Gas and Electric
    You can tell where my tastes lay as a high school freshman (grade 9 in my district)
    Then there was "Hey There Lonely Girl" by Eddie Holman, whom I was sure had graduated from the school of castrati, and of course the Jackson 5, the bane of my AM yet for whose "ABC" I've developed a curious affection as I've aged, and any number of other "pop hits" from a year when AM radio still reflected the American melting pot:
    "Ma Belle Ami"-the Tee Set
    OK enough teasing.
    What you just typed there is a dream songlist.

    Unreal how good music used to be...

  5. #5
    Senior Member gjmalcyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    A little early for the 50yr anniversary?

    You'd think they'd be doing 1969.

    50 years guys..
    They're covering the last 50 years in music over the 50 weeks that started on 01/05/19. Every Saturday is a different year - last week it was 1990 (meh). I haven't located a list of what year is covered when, but I am looking.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - a nephew's)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, Qvart) FOR SALE
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, Neal) FOR SALE
    '94 D-6 FOR SALE
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R (ex-Killdeer43, Jeffcoop,) FOR SALE
    GAD-30 (ex-Killdeer43, Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger) FOR SALE
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought

  6. #6
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    26,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    What you just typed there is a dream songlist.

    Unreal how good music used to be...
    And that was just from the Billboard Hot 100...which basically was all AM
    Underground FM was still in its infancy and the stuff rarely crossed over, sometimes simply because it was too long, like:
    "I'm Losing You"-Rare Earth
    "Lucky Man"-ELP (crossed over)
    "Nature's Way" and "Mr. Skin"-Spirit
    "Cinnamon Girl"- Neil Young
    Santana's Abraxas was released with epic "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts / "Blackmagic Woman" medley; and speaking of "Black Magic Woman":
    Fleetwood Mac's Kiln House gave us "Jewel-Eyed Judy",
    John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band gave us "Working Class Hero", "God" , and "Isolation".
    Woodstock had been released so a fair number of tunes from that album were getting play on both sides of the radio:
    I actually heard Country Joe and the Fish's "Rock and Soul Music" and Arlo Guthrie's "Comin' into Los Angeles" for the first time on my local safe-as-milk AM station.....once.

    Canned Heat's "Goin' Up the Country" crossed over which gave 'em mass recognition for "Let's Get Together" later in the year;
    Layla was released very late in the year but Clapton's solo debut gave us "After Midnight" and "Let it Rain" (although not as a single for 2 years);
    Band of Gypsys was released and left me scratching my 14-year old head.
    "Gimme Shelter" from Let it Bleed was released late enough (December 5) in '69 that it might as well have been '70, especially since it garnered tons of recognition from its association with the debacle of Altamont, the movie of which was released in December of '70....
    and which many said documented the death of the '60's.
    Given that Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, and the Beatles all died in '70 as well, it does seem like the sad truth.
    At least Steven Stills gave us "Love the One You're With"; perhaps a fitting epitaph for the decade.

    PS: Would you believe I also have a chart for every one of the tunes mentioned on the first list except for "Vehicle", "Lonely Girl" and "Ma Belle Ami"?
    Last edited by adorshki; 03-21-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  7. #7
    Senior Member walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    13,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    What you just typed there is a dream songlist.

    Unreal how good music used to be...
    +1.

    walrus
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

  8. #8
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    26,013
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    +1.

    walrus
    I deliberately avoided all the singer/songwriter hits simply because at the time I couldn't stand the stuff, figured folks who love it would take up the flag.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  9. #9
    Senior Member walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    13,327
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    I deliberately avoided all the singer/songwriter hits simply because at the time I couldn't stand the stuff, figured folks who love it would take up the flag.
    That works perfectly for me, too!

    walrus
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

  10. #10
    Senior Member Grassdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    303
    Neil's After The Gold Rush album, The Guess Who's American Woman album, CSNY's "Ohio" single. Three Dog Night seemingly all over the charts. And the start of Monday Night Football.
    '88 GF-30
    '78 F-212XL
    '83 D-25 SB
    '17 F-1512E
    '97 JF-55
    '80 G-37 SB ANT
    '03 F-412
    '64 Gibson Country Western
    '02 Gibson J-100
    '11 Gibson Southern Jumbo
    '05 Blueridge BR-160
    Fender Telecaster - '52 Reissue

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •