Doyle Dykes preview -- Back on the Guild signature, at least for a moment...)

PittPastor

Reaction score
Thought it was interesting to see him getting ready to release a new song... and he's working on his (shhhh! don't tell Godin) his Guild...

https://www.facebook.com/doyledykes/videos/2190162244630269/

I'm sure he will be officially using his Godin when the pictures out of the studio in Austin come out. The man's nothing if not loyal.

You probably need to have a facebook account to see the vid. Sorry, he did it as a live Facebook feed, so not on youtube.

6ug3b8g.png

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
he probably plays his guild more often than we know. could be his main songwriting guitar

PittPastor

Reaction score
he probably plays his guild more often than we know. could be his main songwriting guitar

Makes sense. You get used to something after awhile. Also, could be that his Godins are packed up for when he goes to do appearances, and its easier to take a guitar that is just sitting there on the stand then to go get the stuff that you have setup to go to the next gig.

Or it could be because some guitars are just made to be played... ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't do Facebook, but if that's Supertramp's "Logical Song", he may just have been looking to preserve the Guild DNA since Roger Hodgson's a loyal F512 lover.
:friendly_wink:

F312

Reaction score
Yeah, i'm not into Buttbook.

Ralph

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Guild definitely is important to Doyle. There is no question to me that he was speaking from the heart on the occasions when we spoke at LMG events and when he talked about Guild to the attendees. I honestly believe he was shocked (and somewhat crushed) when Fender shuttered New Hartford.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
And didn't mean to imply it's the only reason he used it, after all, it was built to his specifications, so it's gotta be a joy for him to play, have no clue if any of the subsequent makers did that for him.
But there's a certain, uh, "harmony" in covering a song that was composed on a Guild, with a Guild.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Thanks!
And didn't mean to imply it's the only reason he used it, after all, it was built to his specifications, so it's gotta be a joy for him to play, have no clue if any of the subsequent makers did that for him.
But there's a certain, uh, "harmony" in covering a song that was composed on a Guild, with a Guild.

No doubt. Doyle is a loyal soldier, and I think he was genuinely grateful that Godin sponsored him. I was checking out the pictures of him playing at the Grand Ol Opry recently, and I noticed he played a few different instruments -- including that Olson thing he has. So, I guess he has some latitude.

I have nothing against Godin. Fine guitars and seems like a good company. But it was fun to see him play his Guild custom.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But it was fun to see him play his Guild custom.
Thanks for sharing, great video!
By the way, it's not a Guild "custom" but his signature model (designed with him). It was a normal production model in NH for the short time until NH closed doors. https://guildguitars.com/g/doyle-dykes-signature-maple/

I liked his quote: I was immediately at home with this guitar,” Dykes said. “After playing it and hearing it, I’m convinced a lot of people will feel this way, too. This is your grandfather’s guitar and a whole lot more!

And: “When I saw the guitar for the first time, I saw reflections of my life and relationships,” Dykes said. “The Duane Eddy vintage-style ‘G’ on the headstock, the Chet Atkins-style fret markers, the beautiful roses on the bridge that depict a heartfelt family story, and the Guild name have all been a part of my life since I was a boy.

Ralf

PittPastor

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, great video!
By the way, it's not a Guild "custom" but his signature model (designed with him). It was a normal production model in NH for the short time until NH closed doors. https://guildguitars.com/g/doyle-dykes-signature-maple/

Thanks Ralf! I guess I didn't realize how long that guitar was in production. I had never seen the link you gave, actually. I really like it in the sunburst! I've never seen one like that. Every one I have seen on Reverb is that canary yellow color.

And: “When I saw the guitar for the first time, I saw reflections of my life and relationships,” Dykes said. “The Duane Eddy vintage-style ‘G’ on the headstock, the Chet Atkins-style fret markers, the beautiful roses on the bridge that depict a heartfelt family story, and the Guild name have all been a part of my life since I was a boy.”[/COLOR]

I think one of his first guitars was a Guild. Tho, on the cover of his biography is a picture of his custom Taylor guitar from back when he was their spokesman. Guess you always have to dance with the one who buys your ticket...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I really like it in the sunburst! I've never seen one like that.
Here was one we had discussed here at LTG. Scroll down in the link to see the guitar. https://reverb.com/item/7893384-gui...kes-signature-12-string-2014-tobacco-sunburst

dapmdave also had one: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...tring-Reverb&p=1827118&viewfull=1#post1827118

He told stories about his Starfire which I remember as being from the 60's and the Starfire model with the single cutaway.

Ralf

Last edited: