Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doyle Dykes preview -- Back on the Guild signature, at least for a moment...)

Doyle Dykes preview -- Back on the Guild signature, at least for a moment...)

Thought it was interesting to see him getting ready to release a new song... and he's working on his (shhhh! don't tell Godin) his Guild...

https://www.facebook.com/doyledykes/...0162244630269/

I'm sure he will be officially using his Godin when the pictures out of the studio in Austin come out. The man's nothing if not loyal.

You probably need to have a facebook account to see the vid. Sorry, he did it as a live Facebook feed, so not on youtube.

Last edited by PittPastor; 03-21-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)
    2014 Guild Savoy 150A Sunburst (MIK)

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

he probably plays his guild more often than we know. could be his main songwriting guitar
    Wood

1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35 esh

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    he probably plays his guild more often than we know. could be his main songwriting guitar
    Makes sense. You get used to something after awhile. Also, could be that his Godins are packed up for when he goes to do appearances, and its easier to take a guitar that is just sitting there on the stand then to go get the stuff that you have setup to go to the next gig.

Or it could be because some guitars are just made to be played... ;)
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)

I don't do Facebook, but if that's Supertramp's "Logical Song", he may just have been looking to preserve the Guild DNA since Roger Hodgson's a loyal F512 lover.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    I don't do Facebook, but if that's Supertramp's "Logical Song", he may just have been looking to preserve the Guild DNA since Roger Hodgson's a loyal F512 lover.
    It is...
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)

Yeah, i'm not into Buttbook.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    Guild definitely is important to Doyle. There is no question to me that he was speaking from the heart on the occasions when we spoke at LMG events and when he talked about Guild to the attendees. I honestly believe he was shocked (and somewhat crushed) when Fender shuttered New Hartford.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    It is...
    Thanks!
    And didn't mean to imply it's the only reason he used it, after all, it was built to his specifications, so it's gotta be a joy for him to play, have no clue if any of the subsequent makers did that for him.
    But there's a certain, uh, "harmony" in covering a song that was composed on a Guild, with a Guild.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Thanks!
    And didn't mean to imply it's the only reason he used it, after all, it was built to his specifications, so it's gotta be a joy for him to play, have no clue if any of the subsequent makers did that for him.
    But there's a certain, uh, "harmony" in covering a song that was composed on a Guild, with a Guild.
    No doubt. Doyle is a loyal soldier, and I think he was genuinely grateful that Godin sponsored him. I was checking out the pictures of him playing at the Grand Ol Opry recently, and I noticed he played a few different instruments -- including that Olson thing he has. So, I guess he has some latitude.

I have nothing against Godin. Fine guitars and seems like a good company. But it was fun to see him play his Guild custom.
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    But it was fun to see him play his Guild custom.
    Thanks for sharing, great video!
    By the way, it's not a Guild "custom" but his signature model (designed with him). It was a normal production model in NH for the short time until NH closed doors. https://guildguitars.com/g/doyle-dykes-signature-maple/

I liked his quote: I was immediately at home with this guitar,” Dykes said. “After playing it and hearing it, I’m convinced a lot of people will feel this way, too. This is your grandfather’s guitar and a whole lot more!

And: “When I saw the guitar for the first time, I saw reflections of my life and relationships,” Dykes said. “The Duane Eddy vintage-style ‘G’ on the headstock, the Chet Atkins-style fret markers, the beautiful roses on the bridge that depict a heartfelt family story, and the Guild name have all been a part of my life since I was a boy.

Ralf