Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IF Oxnard Built An F47, Would You Come?

IF Oxnard Built An F47, Would You Come?

Some of you may be familiar with my epiphany about the importance of Guild's "Grand Auditorium" body in the brand heritage, after my realization that my F40-derived F65ce was the most comfortable-to-play guitar I own, even with the narrow 1-5/8" nut and 25-5/8" scale.
    The basic F40 outline (16" lower bout "F" body, also known as "Grand Auditorium" in Taylor-speak) has yielded more variations on a theme in terms of body and top wood combinations, depth, scale lengths, and as the basis of an ongoing evolution of a cutaway electric line than any other body in the flat-top line.
    There may be just a few more dreadnought models but there's a lot more repetition of the traditional hog/maple/rosewood-with-sitka top combinations that really vary more by "bling" than variety of back styles or scale lengths.
    The importance of that F40 heritage has been my primary gripe about Oxnard's F40:
    It's not even a Grand Auditorium body, it's a 17" lower bout F-body and is even based on the original F48 by their own admission!
    So I'm willing to cut 'em some slack on that if they'll revive what became the F40's first variant: the F47, which boiled down to an F40 outline with a flat 'hog back instead of arched maple.
    Over the years the F47 went through its own metamorphoses, yielding once again to the F40, and then to the Gruhn-designed F42/44/F46's.
    Read between those lines: When it was time to revamp the line where did they start? With dreadnoughts and F40's.
    Ultimately those Gruhn designs evolved pretty quickly into the GF series and that, in my opinion, was the golden age of Guild's Grand Auditorium offerings: In the GF's all 3 back woods were available as well as both flat and arched backs, and concurrently we saw the introduction of a cutaway electric line with an alternative scale length in the F45ce.
    1989 F45ce:

Yeah that's what my F65ce looks like.
    What's not to like?
    Eventually we saw Westerly offer F47ce's in 'hog, maple, and rosewood bodies, and F47's survived even into New Hartford, by which time they were calling the original F47 formula (flat-back 'hog body) the F40.
    2001 F47rce:

2014 F40:

So maybe that threw Oxnard off and sent 'em down the wrong tracks.
    IN the meantime I'd been realizing my pipe dream guitar would be virtually identical to the original F45ce with one little exception I've only ever seen offered on the first generation of F65ce's, if I can trust the specs I've seen over the years:
    I'd like a 24-3/4" scale with a 1-11/16 nut. (All the reports I've seen on F45ce's show the 1-5/8 nut on that special 24-fret/double-octave neck)
    I'm getting old and I think that's what my hands want now, and I think it'll also sound mellower than my F65ce with its arched maple back.
    F45ce was originally arched maple back but I'm flexible there, too.
    I'm thinking flatback 'hog or rosewood, only because I need to get some rosewood into my collection, but I've discovered the flatback 'hog sound from my D40 continues to grow on me, and voila, all we really need is a revived F47.
    So how about it Oxnard, how about digging out and dusting off those old 16" body bucks and offering some special order options like a short scale with 1-11/6 nut.
    I couldn't even buy one used if I wanted to, and I actually tried a Taylor GA a couple of weeks ago that just didn't do it for me.
    What say ye, merry gentlemen, should Guild revive the F47 in all its body woods and return to leadership of the Grand Auditorium niche?
    If they did would you try one, maybe even buy one?
    Remember, they monitor the action here so make your vote count.
    Early and often.
    Last edited by adorshki; 03-21-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

After spending most of the past 6 months cased, my Tacoma F-47R has been out of the case and on the guitar stand next to my desk for most of the past week. And it has been sounding better and better and better. To my ear it is the best sounding rosewood guitar in the herd, even better than the Orpheum.

'69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - a nephew's)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, Qvart) FOR SALE
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, Neal) FOR SALE
    '94 D-6 FOR SALE
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R (ex-Killdeer43, Jeffcoop,) FOR SALE
    GAD-30 (ex-Killdeer43, Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger) FOR SALE
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought

Nice. I'll have to have a fancy Guild someday.

Guild from here went your way, Guild from your way came here. Cool.

IF Oxnard Built An F47, Would You Come?

Depends....

Any "new build" guitar (from any manufacturer) with a 1 11/16" nut and 2 1/8" sting spacing is a no go for me. That's way I am truly blessed to have acquired my NH Guild F30 Standard and NH F30R Standard with the wider nut and string spacing. That kept me from leaving the Guild family for another manufacturer.

Getting back to the 16" lower bout....

For me, my old F44 was the always the queen of my Guild collection, and is the only guitar I truly miss. My friend had a F46 that I was allowed to use, but he refused to sell it to me at any price, as that was his queen of his Guild guitar collection. Aesthetically, I always felt that the GF / GV collection was a downgrade to the F44 / F46 line of guitars, so I never warm up to those guitars. No doubt there were many fine guitars produced in the GF / GV line of guitars.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    . . .
    What say ye, merry gentlemen, should Guild revive the F47 in all its body woods and return to leadership of the Grand Auditorium niche?
    If they did would you try one, maybe even buy one?
    Remember, they monitor the action here so make your vote count.
    I'm not sure why you think Oxnard is monitoring posts here, Al. I kinda' doubt it. In any case, I want to clarify to everyone here that LTG is not affiliated with CMG and they have no say in what gets posted here. I very much hope that this site maintains its independence.

Did you intend to create this thread as a poll, Al? That's an option, and might've served better here. I might be able to turn this into a poll if you want it that way, just let me know through PM what you want. I'm not sure though.

Anyway, the answer from me is no. The re-introduction of the F-50R and F-50 (under new names, I know) provides the appeal to me. The truth is that, post-divorce, I can't afford any of these and wouldn't sell my axes to get them.

Finally, I really *do* hope they bring this model back though. I acknowledge its appeal and I hope to see it return someday.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

... with a new model number of course.

Ralph

If it was a pretty close reissue of the horsey pickguard mahogany F-47, maybe.

-1960 CE100D
    -1961 Starfire III Special
    -1962 X175
    -1963X175
    -2011 F47R
    -2015 Newark Street X175 BLK

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    I'm not sure why you think Oxnard is monitoring posts here, Al. I kinda' doubt it. In any case, I want to clarify to everyone here that LTG is not affiliated with CMG and they have no say in what gets posted here. I very much hope that this site maintains its independence.
    That's a really good point but I'm absolutely positive I've seen reference to the fact that they do "look in" here, perhaps "monitoring" wasn't the right word because it implies an active continuous process, and I agree don't think they watch that intensively.
    More than anything else the remark was just supposed to be a set-up for the "Vote early and Vote often" humor chestnut.
    As for actively participating, no, at least not "officially" (who knows if they may have members here who simply don't disclose an affiliation with CMG for entirely ethical reasons,) and at least partly for exactly the reasons you mention.
    Did you intend to create this thread as a poll, Al? That's an option, and might've served better here.
    Nope, didn't want a dry old poll, wanted actual owner/prospective owner feedback like seen so far.
    And btw, @ Tommy: I only want to be able to special order the oddball scale length/nut combo, I get why 25-5/8" is preferred in the niche.

Anyway, the answer from me is no. The re-introduction of the F-50R and F-50 (under new names, I know) provides the appeal to me. The truth is that, post-divorce, I can't afford any of these and wouldn't sell my axes to get them.
    Finally, I really *do* hope they bring this model back though. I acknowledge its appeal and I hope to see it return someday.
    'AT's what I'm lookin' for!

Quote Originally Posted by F312 View Post
    ... with a new model number of course.

Ralph
    BAD Ralph, Bad Bad Ralph!!
    With my luck they'll call it an F30.
    Now that I think about it I'd live with it and let the F30 lovers start to gripe, as long as it was a GA body!
    Last edited by adorshki; 03-21-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Broes View Post
    If it was a pretty close reissue of the horsey pickguard mahogany F-47, maybe.
    For those who've never seen one:

Keep 'em comin'!
    Al
    All bought new!

I love my early 2000's F47BRZ that Chris Fleming made in the Corona Custom Shop but it is of the Mini Jumbo 16" body style like the late Westerly models as opposed to the Tacoma and New Hartford Body Shape. I tried several New Hartford and one Tacoma F47 models in tone woods of Maple, Rosewood, and the GSR Koa version. They sounded good but just didn't do it for me. The Tacoma and NH versions are almost like a cross between a Jumbo and a Dread and that was noticeable in the tone aspects as you could hear characteristics of both when you play them but the overall impression was they were a bit thin sounding to me. Not that they aren't a cool guitar but personally they just didn't have enough in the tank for my tastes. Just an opinion as always.

I would have to say I wouldn't be that interested in a New F47 but.......

if we are talking about bringing back a F-312 Model then I might have to take a chance on an Oxnard made Guild.

TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia